How can I determine what keeps spinning up one of my drives?

Lately I've noticed that every morning one of my drives is spun up and I have no idea why. I don't have anything accessing this particular drive unless Mover is running and that runs super early in the morning so by now that drive shouldn't be up. All I see in the logs are when the drive spins down so I have no idea what keeps it up. It will eventually spin down though.

Anybody care to help me figure this out?

unRAID v. 6.3.2

I'm having this same issue. 

I've tried the File Activity plugin but I can't seem to get it to work.  This is happening since 6.3.2 where I have multiple spin ups and spin downs per day.  I know that it is probably not doing any damage to my drives but it still annoys me.  I'm tempted to turn off spin down altogether to avoid the irritation.

Ryan.

I would rather have all disks spun down when they are not actively being used. That's kind of the point to unRAID anyway! That said, I have one disk that is purposely spun up all the time since it's a target for Crashplan and other routine backups. Other than that, all disks should be spun down unless being used or are in the time window set before spin down.

3 minutes ago, RobJ said:

The File Activity plugin that rpowers mentioned is what was written to help users attempt to figure out what is spinning up their drives.

So I installed that plugin and turned it on. Now all my drives are spun up. How is this supposed to help if all the drives are spun up?

You'll want to ask in that thread, I didn't write it.  But I would suppose it's meant to monitor file activity over a given period, so I would spin the drives down, let it run, wait until morning, and see if it indicates what may have caused any disks to be spun up.

So I've been monitoring using the File Activity plugin and it looks like something is opening media files like nfo files and tbn files and this is spinning up my drives:

Mar 31 10:33:58 OPEN => /mnt/disk1/Media/TV Shows/XXXXXX.nfo

I don't know how to determine what is opening these files but I'm assuming that it is probably Emby Server or Kodi with the Emby plugin on my htpc.  Does anyone have any idea what might be opening these files or how I can check?  Should I ask somewhere else?

Thanks,

Ryan.

19 minutes ago, rpowers said:

So I've been monitoring using the File Activity plugin and it looks like something is opening media files like nfo files and tbn files and this is spinning up my drives:

Mar 31 10:33:58 OPEN => /mnt/disk1/Media/TV Shows/XXXXXX.nfo

I don't know how to determine what is opening these files but I'm assuming that it is probably Emby Server or Kodi with the Emby plugin on my htpc.  Does anyone have any idea what might be opening these files or how I can check?  Should I ask somewhere else?

Thanks,

Ryan.

When the file in question is open, you can go to Open Files (a separate plugin) and then it should wind up being listed in there.  But, probably Kodi due to the .tbn files