Piecemealed and Now Building My Unraid Server

mifronte

Target Unraid Hardware Build

• Case: Antec Twelve Hundred ATX Full Tower Norco 4224
    • Purchased for $369.42 + $22.27 shipping from Mwave on 09/23/2010

[*]MB: SuperMicro MBD-X7SBE LGA 775 Intel 3210

• Purchased for $219.99 from eWiz (SuperBiiz) on 03/30/2010 (less $7.20 Bing cashback)

[*]CPU: Intel Pentium E5300 Wolfdale 2.6GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Desktop Intel® Pentium® Processor E6500 (2M Cache, 2.93 GHz, 1066 FSB)

• Purchased for $69.99 from eWiz (SuperBiiz) on 03/30/2009 (less $2.40 Bing cashback)

[*]HBA: (2x) SuperMicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 64-bit PCI-X133MHz

• Purchased 1 for $83.29 from eWiz (SuperBiiz) on 03/23/2010
    • Purchased 1 for $71.99 (open box) plus $5.99 shipping from NewEgg on 05/21/2010 (less $1.44 Bing cashback)

[*]Data Cable: (6x) SATA to SFF-8087 Mini SAS Reverse breakout cable

• Purchased 6 for $72.00 plus $8.25 shipping from eBay on 07/30/2010 (less $5.76 Bing cashback)

[*]PSU: Corsair CMPSU-850HX Corsair CMPSU-750HX Seasonic X750 Gold

• Purchased 1 for $153.99 from eWiz (SuperBiiz) on 05/18/2010 (less $5.07 Bing cashback)

[*]RAM:Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) KVR800D2E5K2/4G - 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

• Purchased 1 for $114.00 from Kingston.com on 05/14/2010

[*]HDD Enclosure: (4x) SuperMicro CSE-M35T-1B

[*]Add-on: SuperMicro AOC-SIM1U(+) IPMI

• Purchased 1 for $78.49 from Buy.com on 05/19/2010 (less $3.54 Bing cashback)

[*]Tools: Nibbler

[*]USB Flash: 2GB Lexar Firefly Sandisk Micro Cruzer Kingston DataTraveler 101 2GB DT101N

• Purchased 1 for $6.99 from NewEgg on 04/29/2010 (less $0.14 Bing cashback)

[*]HDs: 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F3EG, 2TB WD20EARS, Seagate 2TB Barracuda LP

• Purchased 1 WD20EARS for $119.99 from mwave.com on 04/08/2010 (less $2.40 Ebates cashback)
    • Purchased 2 Seagate Barracuda LP ST32000542AS 2TB 5900 RPM for $129.99 each from NewEgg on 04/12/2010 (less $7.80 Bing cashback)
    • Purchased 1 Samsung Spinpoint F3EG HD203WI 2TB 5400 RPM for $119.99 from NewEgg on 04/26/2010 (less $3.00 Bing cashback)
    • Purchased 1 WD20EARS for $119.99 from mwave.com on 04/27/2010 (less $2.40 Ebates cashback)
    • Purchased 1 Seagate Barracuda LP ST32000542AS 2 TB 5900 RPM for $119.99 from NewEgg on 04/28/2010 (less $2.60 Bing cashback)
    • Purchased 1 WD20EARS for $109.99 from NewEgg on 04/29/2010 (less $2.80 Bing cashback)
    • Purchased 2 Samsung Spinpoint F3EG HD203WI 2TB 5400 RPM for $119.99 each from NewEgg on 05/04/2010 (less $6.00 Bing cashback)

I have ordered my first component toward my Unraid server.  I hope to order each component when they are either on-sale or have coupons/rebates.  For example, my first component was one SuperMicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 PCI-X from eWiz this last week with the 15% coupon for a total of $83.29.  I don't know how long this will take since I only plan on paying below current market rate for the components.  Also free shipping and no tax is a requirement too.

A few questions:

01. Am I missing anything?

02: What CAS Latency RAM?

03: Should I use ECC RAM?

04: Do I need a monitor for the initial BIOS setup?

I plan to archive my SD collections (1000+) and then eventually add BDs later when prices come down.  I have been watching out for bargains daily, but if anyone know of any bargains pertaining to my build, please let me know.  I am especially looking out for bargains for the case, psu, and motherboard.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although this motherboard is expensive, I wanted something that is a server motherboard to support KVM over LAN and all the other server options (dual NICs) and if need be, become a decent Windows server (in the case that an Unraid equivalent becomes available for Windows).  Hopefully, I will find a bargain where this board becomes close to the $200 price point.

There are two PCI-X buses on this board (two slots each), a 133 MHz and a 100 MHz.  So I planned on using both buses with the SuperMicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 controllers.  Even at the slower 100 MHz bus speed (800 MB/s), that is still plenty of bandwidth for 8 hard drives (assuming the controller card will run at 100 MHz).  The PCI-Express slots will be reserved for future expansion if I need to add external drives.  I hope I understood this motherboard architecture correctly.

I would not mind the SuperMicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 x4 PCI-e controller, but the price of the break out cables make it a more expensive option than the PCI-x controllers.  Anyway, this 4x PCI-e card would be better for expanding to the external drives (external to the case, maybe in another case) since only two connections are needed from within the server case.

Although this motherboard is expensive, I wanted something that is a server motherboard to support KVM over LAN and all the other server options (dual NICs) and if need be, become a decent Windows server (in the case that an Unraid equivalent becomes available for Windows).  Hopefully, I will find a bargain where this board becomes close to the $200 price point.

Funnily enough, I was able to get it for around that price a year ago ($210 + tax). Haven't seen in that low since. I was intending on using it for a Win2k8 server but that never happened so now, I'm planning on using it to build a second unRAID server similar to yours albeit with a few changes.

Very good spec's, though a little bit of an over kill (Are you planning you run VMware or a full Slackware OS distro on it?). As for your questions:

01. Am I missing anything?

A1). Good SATA cables, don't cheap cables, they've known to cause problems and are not worth it.

02: What CAS Latency RAM?

A2). Refer to the link below, it'll explain CAS Lastency much better then I can explain without giving you secondhand information:

http://www.memorysuppliers.com/caslatwhatis1.html

A3). Personally I wouldn't bother. People that build servers for 24/7 or mission critical services like corporate servers, I wouldn't bother spending the money as my unraid server isn't used for these purposes, as unraid is more for a home server use, not corporate. My rule of thumb, buy good quality RAM, like Kingston, OCZ, Corsair, etc... Sometimes mobo manufactures recommend particular RAM brands and models, but so long as you buy good RAM with the right clock speeds for your mobo, you should be right.

04: Do I need a monitor for the initial BIOS setup?

A4). Yes you do. You would need it to make sure your disks have been detected and all seems to be fine. Also to enable 'Boot From USB', be sure to enable 'Boot From USB-Floopy', 'Boot From USB-CDROM', 'Boot From USB-HDD', etc... You might want to enable 'WOL' or 'Wake From LAN' if you want to wake you server up from a suspend/power off state. Finally, in the Power options, make sure you have 'S3' if you care to use the Suspend To RAM feature. See the thread link if you'd like to use this 'http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3657.0'

The Case is great, the CPU is a bit of an overkill (Again, I'm not sure what you have in mind for your unraid server), the SATA Controller, refer to this link below to see if it supported 'http://www.lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hardware_Compatibility' to confirm whether it is fully supported, 2GB RAM would be plenty but you might as well get 4GB RAM seeing the prices of RAM is reasonable, the disk enclosures look great, flash drive is ok (I personally recommend SanDisk Micro Cruzer) and the disks seem OK as well (I'm more of a Seagate or Western Digital person, but I've read good things about the Samsung disks on this forum too). Good Luck with your kit and Welcome to unraid. Hope all goes well.

Most MB/s dont support ECC RAM, so first check if yours does (Supermicro MB/s some do, although some don't so check). For RAM on a server grade MB, I would always buy what is on the HCL for that motherboard. Otherwise the support people have an obvious get of a jail card and they will use it.

CPU is a bit strong otherwise looks very good. 

The X7SBE supports both ECC and Non-ECC memory. CAS Latency, if using DDR2 800, 6, maybe? The following are the modules Kingston recommends for the X7SBE:

Kingston KVR667D2E5 DDR2 667 ECC CL5

Kingston KVR667D2N5 DDR2 667 Non-ECC CL5

Kingston KVR800D2E6 DDR2 800 ECC CL6

Kingston KVR800D2N6 DDR2 800 Non-ECC CL6

However, Supermicro does have the following in their tested memory list:

Kingston KVR800D2E5 DDR2 800 ECC CL5

Kingston KVR800D2N5 DDR2 800 Non-ECC CL5

I'm actually wavering on this bit but I'll probably end up going with Non-ECC RAM. I've got a bunch of other systems using Non-ECC DDR2 and it'll be easier to swap them around if they're all using the same type. Besides, I'm not really doing anything mission critical that would necessitate the use of ECC RAM.

Yes, the CPU is overkill, but even then, it's fairly inexpensive. He could go with the $50 Celeron E3300, but you're not really saving much.

SATA Cables

The SuperMicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 PCI-X 133 MHz controller came with 8 SATA cables.  The printing on the cable says Spetra-Strip Serial ATA 26 AWG.  It is reddish orange in color and the cable appears to be of good quality.  The black connectors says Amphenol.  I will probably try these cables to start.  They are about 22.6 inches long. 

Intel Pentium E5300 Wolfdale 2.66GHz CPU

I was thinking the same as ilovejedd regarding the CPU.  It may be overkill for Unraid, but I do not know what I may want to run in the future.  Since the savings is not that much compared to a less expensive processor, I don't mind using this processor for Unraid.  I think I read somewhere that it is also very low power for its class.  I don't know too much about processors, but the E5300 seemed to be a safe bet without breaking the bank.  Another note is that I think it is compatible with the SuperMicro X7SBE motherboard.

DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) RAM

Thanks ilovejedd for the memory suggestions.  I will keep an eye out for bargains on the Kingston DDR2 800 modules.  If the price difference between CL5 and CL6 is not much, I will probably go with CL5 since SuperMicro has tested the modules with the X7SBE motherboard.  The question of ECC or Non-ECC is still undecided, but if the price difference is large, I will go with the less expensive option.

Still Need a Monitor even with the IPMI card?

@unraided

So I can't perform the initial BIOS setup over the LAN with the IPMI card?  I was hoping to not have to buy a monitor.  Maybe I should forgo the IPMI card and use that money to buy a cheap monitor.  I don't really know how the IPMI card suppose to work if you are not running Windows.  Maybe someone who is using it could chime in to give me some insights.

Still Need a Monitor even with the IPMI card?

@unraided

So I can't perform the initial BIOS setup over the LAN with the IPMI card?  I was hoping to not have to buy a monitor.  Maybe I should forgo the IPMI card and use that money to buy a cheap monitor.  I don't really know how the IPMI card suppose to work if you are not running Windows.  Maybe someone who is using it could chime in to give me some insights.

I would say you can (I've never use a IPMI card before), but perhaps for the initial setup, I would use a traditional keyboard/monitor from another PC temporarily, do the initial setup and then just use the IPMI card for any other changes you'd like to make to the server in the future. HP servers use something similar for a low-level control to the BIOS/OS, which is called iLo (Integrated Lights Out). It is more advanced and allows you to drill into the BIOS and OS (kind of like a IP KVM built into to the server). If you don't plan to remote to the server just to only reconfigure BIOS and if you only plan to remote to the server whilst the unraid OS is running only as well, you could save a few dollars and just use SSL to unraid via puTTY (SSL needs to ne installed as a separate package) or via the telnet protocol (not secured) and that would be it. Personally I wouldn't bother with it, but if it's your cup of tea and want to have that level on control, buy it, otherwise, just use puTTY (only OS control) or go for a IP KVM (albeit it would be an overkill and very expensive too for this purpose).

This is one very expensive mobo. You can have a great unraid with a mobo 1/4 that price.

And, why limit yourself to shared 133MHz PCI-x? There's a great 8-port x4 PCI-e card for the same price:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5724.0

The X7SBE has two PCI-X buses so nothing is shared. It also has an 8x PCIe card to be used with a SAS card and an optional SAS expander to go to another case in the future (and up to 128x additional disks). The PCI-X HBAs doesn't cost more than the PCIe version of the card. In addition the board and the PCI-X HBAs are compatible with *everything* out there, every single NAS software, even OpenSolaris, Nexenta, etc, etc suport them out of the box. Then, this mobo uses ECC memory which is just a better fit for a server, and then, it has an IPMI card and KVM over Ethernet option, allowing you to get every single BIOS change remotely, also remotely powering on (!) and off the server! It also has two best Intel NICs onboard that support WOL with all OSes out there and their performance is amazing.

That is an excellent configuration for a NAS. I probably would put everything in a Norco 4220 but the Antec is also a fine case, would be probably more expensive with all the 5-in-3's...

Great setup!!

Edit:

You absolutely do not need a monitor or a keyboard, the IPMI cards gets its IP address over DHCP so that you are just fine connecting to it. You may even upgrade the firmware remotely. All added benefits for a little more money, bit absolutely worth it.

ECC memory isn't much more expensive than normal memory. I am using 2x Kingston DIMM 2GB PC2-6400E ECC CL5 DDR2-800 (KVR800D2E5/2G) with this board without a hitch. See here the Supermicro compatibility list for others: http://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/memory/display.cfm?sz=2.0&mspd=0.8&mtyp=18&id=E061F27C191E2FAF3DFB9D59B1927DDF

Check those Norco 5-in-3s, they are probably better and cheaper than the Supermicro ones:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5793.0;topicseen

Get the faster CPU, it doesn't cost that much more and you probably would like to run in the future a couple VMs like anything Windoz or a full Slackware distro for compiling stuff on it (but separately to unRAID).

The Supermicro provided SATA cables are very good, they just don't have the lock type connectors, qualitywise they are very good.

I would not mind the SuperMicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 x4 PCI-e controller, but the price of the break out cables make it a more expensive option than the PCI-x controllers.  Anyway, this 4x PCI-e card would be better for expanding to the external drives (external to the case, maybe in another case) since only two connections are needed from within the server case.

I have the same mobo and wait to get SAS support (already experimental), then just add an LSI SAS card with one or two external connectors. Each connector to a separate case with its own SAS expander card (being able to turn on the local power supply for the external disks) and that's alot of an unRAID server!! We just need support for more volumes or more than 20 disks in a volume, but I think Tom is already working on this.

HP servers use something similar for a low-level control to the BIOS/OS, which is called iLo (Integrated Lights Out). It is more advanced and allows you to drill into the BIOS and OS (kind of like a IP KVM built into to the server).

That is exactly IPMI functionality and HP's iLO is absolutely not more advanced, its basically the same, allowing for SNMP integration, powering on, environmental control for things like temp, etc. All this is available to the X7SBE with the IPMI card.

or go for a IP KVM (albeit it would be an overkill and very expensive too for this purpose).

Why? The SIM1U+ does exactly the same KVM over IP, it even uses a separate Eth cable and stays on all the time *separately* from everything else in the server!!

mifronte, go with the SIM1U+, you won't regret it (and don't forget to upgrade the firmware after you get it all running). Basically if you don't get IPMI or use ECC memory that this board is designed for, you are better off with some other and cheaper desktop board.

Thanks starcat for the great information.

The main reason why I would like IPMI functionality is that I plan on sticking the server in my utility closet, which is in my mechanical room in the basement.  All my home-run wiring originates in this closet.  With a potential of 20 hard drives, once this server is built and set in the closet, I have no plans to move it or work sit in the closet to perform configurations.

The SAS expander makes perfect sense.  I was hoping to utilize the PCIe slots in exactly that manner.  I will definitely read up on this at the SuperMicro web site.  I don't know too much about motherboards, but when I reviewed the X7SBE, I felt I could not go wrong or have regrets with such a motherboard.  Now it is just a question of finding a great bargain.

Regarding IPMI and the AOC-SIM1U+, can you configure the BIOS without an installed OS?  What would happen if I just turn on the machine after building it prior to installing any OS (including Unraid).  Will the AOC-SIM1U+ obtain the IP address at boot?  For example, with a monitor, you can enter BIOS at boot prior to installing any OS.  Is this possible?  It is not a big deal since I can always run the free version of Unraid or Knoppix.

I just saw the Norco 5-in-3 thread this morning and it peaked my curiosity, especially the price.

mifronte, go with the SIM1U+, you won't regret it (and don't forget to upgrade the firmware after you get it all running).

Is this the firmware for the AOC-SIM1U+ or motherboard?  Or both?  If both, do I do the AOC-SIM1U+ first?

The SIM1U+ has its own firmware, mine came with an old version. The firmware on the mainboard was up to date.

The SIM1U+ has its own Eth cable and standard IP config is that it gets its own IP over DHCP from your router. After turning on the computer, check with your router which IP address was assigned to the SIM1U+, then connect with your browser to that address, open the console (what you would see with a connectected monitor, but run over IP by the KVM), reset/reboot the computer and then hit F2 to enter BIOS. You get the picture of the local monitor but over IP, and you don't need an installed OS. Later when you have unRAID installed it is that window again where you can run the memtest from unRAID boot loader.

The best thing with the SIM1U+ is that you can connect local drives or images to the server, i.e. as if there was a floppy or a CD-ROM on that server locally attached and run any install/firmware updates or anything similar over IP. All down below on hardware level, so no installed OS required. People just don't realize which added benefit an IPMI processor provides.

Here a thread about the X7SBE http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=4479.0

On the side note, there is a new Atom (server-class) board from Supermicro: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5133.0 which has integrated IPMI, CPU, Intel GigE, 6x SATA, etc. It is very interesting for building smaller servers.

Thank you starcat!

That bit of information about the SuperMicro AOC-SIM1U+ is very reassuring.  Look like I will spend the money on the IPMI card instead of a used cheap monitor.  On my DD-WRT router, I can even assign the SIM1U+ card to receive a static IP with an associated host name.

The best thing with the SIM1U+ is that you can connect local drives or images to the server, i.e. as if there was a floppy or a CD-ROM on that server locally attached and run any install/firmware updates or anything similar over IP. All down below on hardware level, so no installed OS required. People just don't realize which added benefit an IPMI processor provides.

That definitely solves the problem of needing a CD-ROM drive to run a live-CD OS like Knoppix remotely if I needed to temporarily boot the server into a full OS instead of Unraid.

I will try to keep discussions about the motherboard in the X7SBE thread so that other potential users looking for information on the X7SBE can find it in one thread.

On the side note, there is a new Atom (server-class) board from Supermicro: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5133.0 which has integrated IPMI, CPU, Intel GigE, 6x SATA, etc. It is very interesting for building smaller servers.

Yeah, I read that thread and came to the same conclusion.

I too took a hard look at this motherboard, mainly because I already own a SuperMicro AOC-SAT2-MV8. I watched for deals on this board but never found any. the IPMI is a great option, but for me it was a luxury and not a necessity since I already have a monitor and keyboard hooked up to my unraid. I too would suggest taking a hard look at the Norco. 5 in 3s are expensive. If I had to do it all over again, I would certainly go that route.

One note on your processor choice. The E5300 does not support virtualization. If you go down a step, the E3300 does. My Supermicro C2SEA supports the E3xxx series. I bet the X7SBE does too.

Good luck, sounds like you'll have a very nice system.

I too would suggest taking a hard look at the Norco. 5 in 3s are expensive. If I had to do it all over again, I would certainly go that route.

Can you just leave the Norco 4u case lying on the floor?  Is the front faceplate flushed with the bottom?  Although the 5-in-3's are expensive, investing in a rack system can be expensive too if you can't leave the fully loaded case on the floor.  Another concern that I have with the Norco is the reviews of cheap build quality.

One note on your processor choice. The E5300 does not support virtualization. If you go down a step, the E3300 does. My Supermicro C2SEA supports the E3xxx series. I bet the X7SBE does too.

Good to know.  I will look at the processor more intently.  I just assumed a decent processor should be able to run anything.

Older versions don't (SLGQ6, SLB9U) but the newer versions (SLGTL) do. Granted, there's no way of knowing what version you're going to get if buying online but more than likely, it'll be the new ones. Only the E5200 never got VT support.

I too would suggest taking a hard look at the Norco. 5 in 3s are expensive. If I had to do it all over again, I would certainly go that route.

Can you just leave the Norco 4u case lying on the floor?  Is the front faceplate flushed with the bottom?  Although the 5-in-3's are expensive, investing in a rack system can be expensive too if you can't leave the fully loaded case on the floor.  Another concern that I have with the Norco is the reviews of cheap build quality.

Yes, the faceplate is flushed with the bottom. Absolutely no problem leaving the fully loaded rackmount 4220 on the floor. Here a very good beginner's open fram 19" rack: http://www.norcotek.com/R4-15U.php

The 5-in-3s have bad ventilation due to the backplane they are attached to. When you get the Norco, then get the 4220, it uses horizontally mounted backplanes for better cooling (here how they looks like: http://www.thedworld.com/otherimages/horizontalbp1.png) and have better quality trays and their fronts maybe closed or opened depending if there are disks in them or empty (for better cooling). For the 4220 you will need reverse breakout cables though from 4x SATA to SAS as the backplane uses SAS connectors. The 4020 is the one with SATA connectors however the 4220 is much better.

I have heard there will be soon a Norco 4224 with 24 drives (look here for an engineering sample: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=18372498&postcount=71), if you can wait this will make sure you may put some more (unprotected) drives in there like cache and some more to be used for backup, TimeMachines, etc. They don't necessary need to be in the array and protected wasting bandwidth and performance. Just put them on an additional Promise TX4 or something cheap like this. The new unRAID 5.0 is supposed to support 24 drives too.

Also, Norco plans an external case with expander and PSU installed where only drives have to be put in and connected to the exisiting main Norco case containing the mainboard: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=18371347&postcount=70 We just need unRAID version 5.0 in that time frame :-)

Well starcat, you've done it.  I think I will abandon the Antec Twelve Hundred and the 5-in-3 enclosures for the Norco 4224 too.  I think you may have saved me from making a regrettable decision.  Now the two of us can wait for the Norco 4224 together.

By the way, with your current config, what are you doing with the two extra SATA ports?

Also, do you think the SuperMicro X7SBE motherboard for $220 USD (free shipping + no tax) is a good bargain?  I have to decide before 04/01/2010.

Well, there is a factory refurbished at ebay currently for $205, look at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330415190645 otherwise I think $220 incl shipping is pretty good, grab it. I have heard about people grabbing the X7SBE for as low as $80 used from dubious places, however I personally have never seen such a price.

My two empty SATA ports are just empty at the moment :-) I will use them in the 4224 one day in addition to two more ports, probably on a PCI card, like the TX4 or something similar if I need both PCI-e slots for SAS cards depending on unRAID 5.0 futures. Or a 2-port PCI-e card in the 4x slot. Quite a lot of options actually with this board. I currently have a PCI-e LSI SAS3442E-R SAS card stil waiting to get in use (http://www.lsi.com/storage_home/products_home/host_bus_adapters/sas_hbas/lsisas3442er/).

Edit: Like the 4220, the 4224 will surely allow for mounting at least one or two 2.5" drives somewhere on the sides inside the case - a perfect fit for those extra SATA ports and for cache or Backup drives, something like a 500GB 7200rpm 2.5" drive would be a nice and performant fit.

Edit2: I guess you have found all the info but here is another thread about the X7SBE http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2697

Just purchased the SuperMicro X7SBE motherboard new retail package for $220 from eWiz (SuperBiz).

Now I am totally undecided on the processor.  The three candidates are (all retail packaging):

• Intel® Celeron® Processor E3300 (1M Cache, 2.50 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)
    • at Micro Center for $39.99 + $3.09 (tax) = $43.08

[*]Intel® Pentium® Processor E5300 (2M Cache, 2.60 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)

• at NewEgg for $63.99

[*]Intel® Pentium® Processor E6500 (2M Cache, 2.93 GHz, 1066 Mhz FSB)

• at eWiz for $79.99 - $10.00 (coupon) = $69.99

I prefer the retail packaging since this is my first computer build and I do not want to be missing heatsink, fan, or some other little items.  Is the $27 difference between the E3300 and E6500 a big enough savings to justify the step down in processor?  I know E3300 is more than sufficient for unRaid, but the E6500 is just in case...

Do you see yourself doing server based encoding/compressing/decompressing or on the fly transcoding?

Do you see yourself running a virtual server with vmware?

Do you see yourself doing some form of byte level file verification to insure the file's integrity?

If you answer yes to any of these then the faster processor can help.

for example, I did an md5sum on a bunch of files to verify integrity and that is where the extra horsepower came in hand.

I also encode files as flac, then run a server based flactomp3 encoder to save time.

I do plan on running vmware for video transcoding, so i plan to go with a 3ghz processor on my side.

Don't buy a boxed CPU, you absolutely don't need the heatsink and the fan. The Intel fan is designed to blow downwards screwing up totally airflow in the case. You need a massive Scythe Ninja 2 with a fan that blows from front to back (in concert with everything else in the case). It will cost more, but everything would be as it should be. The Ninja fan is 120mm and because of the large heatsink it would normally not rotate at all, and if, it is absolutely silent. You would need to remote the decorative caps on top of the heatsink, but other than that it is a perfect fit for the 4U Norco 4220 (the 4224 would be same hight).