Drive Errors/Power?... Question

I have 2 drive periodically giving me following error:

ata7.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x400000 action 0x6 frozen

The two drives doing this are my two newest drives (ordered about 3 months apart so not a batch issue, WD Reds). These replaced drives doing the same thing as far as I remember...its been a few months. That said, could other things cause this? Like bad cables, connectors etc etc?

edit: added diagnostics.

hades-diagnostics-20170331-1542.zip

Edited by wickedathletes

So is there a way to test if this could possibly be a PSU issue? Have I reached my max finally? Could I be overloading a source because of the hot swap bay powering 5 drives at once?

PSU: Antec NEO ECO 520C (520W)
+3.3V@24A, +5V@24A, +12V@40A, [email protected], [email protected]

MoBo: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W BX80623I72600K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL

Hot Swap: SUPERMICRO CSE-M35T-1B 3 x 5.25" to 5 x 3.5" Hot-swap SATA HDD Trays

SATA PCI Controller
IO Crest 4 Port SATA III PCI-e 2.0 x1 Controller Card Marvell Non-Raid with Low Profile Bracket SI-PEX4006

HDs:
WDC WD20EZRX-00D8PB0
Hitachi HDS5C4040ALE630 (parity)
WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0
WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0 (throwing errors)
TOSHIBA MD04ACA400
WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0 (throwing errors)
WDC WD40EZRZ-00WN9B0
TOSHIBA MD04ACA400

HGST HDS5C4040ALE630
Crucial_CT750MX300SSD1 (cache)

I do have a backup PSU from my old gaming PC that I could test but don't want to waste my time if it wouldn't be the issue:
SeaSonic X Series X-850 (SS-850KM3 Active PFC F3) 850W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready

Edited by wickedathletes

So the error stayed at the ata location and didn't move with the drive when I moved the two drives to other spots. If that's the case what would I want to look at?

PSU?

Cable?

HotSwap Bay?

Sata port on MoBo?

obviously it isn't the drive, although with 2 having issues I'm still unclear. I have once seen both drives acting up, however most of the time it's just one location.

Edited by wickedathletes
8 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Number 1 suspect is the Marvell controller where those disks are connected, they are known to have issues, expecially with vt-d enable.

I assume you mean on the MoBo? I forgot to mention I have a sata card as well, and of course one is plugged into that and one is plugged into the MoBo.

so that leaves me with:

Cable

Hot Swap Bay port

PSU?

1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

No, I mean the marvell controller, ata7/8/9 and 10

This is the one I have:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AZ9T3OU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Problem being though, serial ata1 did the same thing, which is on my MoBo. So what are the chances that my MoBo and my PCI card are having issues?

It is bouncing around between ata1 and ata7. Same errors on both.

4 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Diagnostics you posted only show issues on ata7, post the ones with errors on ata1.

thankfully ata1 just had the problem. Attached.

Last night I did replace the cable on ata7 hoping that fixed it, but it sometimes works for a week or two, sometimes a day. The thing that threw me was it seems to bounce between the two.

Definitely not the drives since putting a new drive there, the new drive got the error.

thank you again.

hades-diagnostics-20170401-1417.zip

The errors are very similar, but while in the Marvell controller the controller itself is the prime suspect based on similar issues with many users, the Intel onboard ports on the other side, tend to be very stable and any errors are usually the result of bad cable/enclosure (including power cables), disk or the controller itself int this order.

Obviously the errors on the Marvell controller may also result from a bad cable/enclosure, you'll need to try changing things around to detect the culprit.