should i restart my server regularly?

hi all, upgraded my server about in January to a server board, 2 cpu's and 64gb ecc memory and since the upgrade i have had to restart my server every month.

it keeps running without a restart but the performance seems to be effected e.g. copying files ot the server i get slow speeds and trying to watch media via kodi keeps buffering all the time.

as soon as i have restarted the server and the array comes back online everything is back to normal and performance is as it should be.

is this normal? i never had to restart the old server but then that was just a dual core cpu and 16Gb memory

You might want to install the 'Tips and Tweaks' plugin and then adjust the values for "Disk Cache 'vm.dirty_background_ratio' (%):" and " Disk Cache 'vm.dirty_ratio (%): " to values like 2% and 4% on the 'Tweaks' tab.  The Help menu will provide you with more information.  I am certain that the default values were intended for computers with 1 or 2GB of RAM and those percentations are way too high for the amount of RAM that most are using now.

19 minutes ago, kenny1921 said:

isnt that to do with virtual machines? im not currently running any.

7 minutes ago, trurl said:

No, they have to do with disk I/O.

More specifically with the amount of memory allocated for use by Linux for storing files to be written to the hard disks at a  later time.   If the IO stream is heavy with many different write requests, it also attempts to order those writes so the head-travel distances are minimized.  All of this is intended to increase the perceived responsiveness of the OS to the users.  One bad side effect of this is that if there is a power failure on a system without a UPS, all of the data in that buffer will be lost!  (BTW, all modern OS's have this type of feature built-in and turn-on by default.)

I remember from a friend hoster often running VM'S for the advantage of allowing quick reboots and edits or simply move them between machines. (Split seconds reboots after optimizations)

This on MS and Linux OS'es and especially in the long run saving him a lot of time and (potential) hassle.

(Small hosting company, mostly XML, mail, file and server hosting)

VM'S have many advantages but take some proper research to find out if it suits you, especially on the long run.

Plan and dream/imagine ahead and it may save you a lot of hassle.

"How to?"...I was more the guy on the side spreading contacts and connecting people.

Honestly, not a clue anymore nowadays. (Due to bad luck of life)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• 4 years later...