Files transferred but sometimes not fully?

Hello,

I'm in the process of transferring my content from my external hard drives onto my UnRaid server. I'm running Mac OS X Sierra to UnRaid 6.3.2 over a gigabit network. Both machines are hard wired into the network. I'm using ForkLift 3.0.2 to do the transferring. I'm finding though that sometimes a folder of files will all seemingly transfer over fine, no errors or warnings telling me something went wrong and on first glance all the files seem to be there. However, sometimes a file will only be 99% transferred... Right now for media, I can tell if a file was not transferred correctly, because a thumbnail won't be generated for it, then I can find the original on the external and copy it over again and replace the other file and then it works properly. I'm wondering if anyone else has run into similar problems, or if I just need to go through everything manually and check?

Only thing I can suggest that may be helpful, is that it might be a better idea to connect your drives directly to your Unraid machine with Unassigned Devices then use Midnight Commander via a terminal to copy them to your array.

Open midnight commander by typing mc at a terminal prompt.

Is there documentation/tutorials/etc that you could link me to for those? I'm a newbie when it comes to UnRaid, and don't do a lot of stuff in the terminal... Also, I assume I would need to hook the server box up to a monitor and a keyboard and do it from there? Or can I connect the drive and then use the terminal on my Mac?

9 minutes ago, danmartyn said:

Is there documentation/tutorials/etc that you could link me to for those? I'm a newbie when it comes to UnRaid, and don't do a lot of stuff in the terminal... Also, I assume I would need to hook the server box up to a monitor and a keyboard and do it from there? Or can I connect the drive and then use the terminal on my Mac?

I don't use a MAc but I would imagine this would work.

ssh [email protected] (or whatever your Unraid IP is)
mc

Once you open it up it's pretty self explanatory, 2 panes use the arrow keys to navigate, tab to switch between panes and F5 to copy.

In terms of connecting the drives to Unraid, use the Unassigned Devices plugin.

Install it using Community Applications

Edited by CHBMB
17 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

I don't use a MAc but I would imagine this would work.

ssh [email protected] (or whatever your Unraid IP is)
mc

Once you open it up it's pretty self explanatory, 2 panes use the arrow keys to navigate, tab to switch between panes and F5 to copy.

Ok, so I installed the Unassigned Drives plugin from here: 

And I can use mc from terminal when I did the ssh command you said to use. However, when I connect my external drive, in the Main Page, under the Unassigned Drives tab, it shows my drive and that it is mounted. It only shows one /mnt/disks/EFI which is also mounted. Sometimes when I refresh it shows an unmounted partition that is the name of the partition I use when it's attached to my Mac. But when I click on mount, it refreshes and it's gone. If it matters all ym externals are formatted as HFS+...

3 minutes ago, danmartyn said:

Ok, so I installed the Unassigned Drives plugin from here: 

And I can use mc from terminal when I did the ssh command you said to use. However, when I connect my external drive, in the Main Page, under the Unassigned Drives tab, it shows my drive and that it is mounted. It only shows one /mnt/disks/EFI which is also mounted. Sometimes when I refresh it shows an unmounted partition that is the name of the partition I use when it's attached to my Mac. But when I click on mount, it refreshes and it's gone. If it matters all ym externals are formatted as HFS+...

Hmmm, I hadn't considered you were using HFS+

Might be worth asking over on the Unassigned Devices thread to see if it's supported.

Ok, I've managed to get into the drive. HFS+ does seem to be supported, I needed to rename the partition and it still sporadically shows up in the GUI, but I can see it/access it in mc. My new problem is that my allocation method is set to High Water and so my media is split between all my drives... How do I go about copying a bunch of folders of stuff into the right spot in UnRaid?

5 hours ago, CHBMB said:

Go to /mnt/diskX rather than /mnt/user/

Is it ok for me to just dump files in like that? I've got 3 drives right now, and they are each filling themselves a bit at a time, but I've only got one directory with 2 sub directories in it. Each of the drives shows that, but then for tv shows for example, one drive might have season 1 and one drive might have season 2...

Will it be ForkLift 3.0.2 problem ? I am not MAC user ( although have a MAC mini ). What transfer protocol use AFP SMB NFS ?

There are strange of file transfer always corrupt but no error, most people just transfer file via Network.

Suggest you should found out the problem first, then forgot all stuff already transferred and re-transfer again.

File binary compare or hash method (plugin) may help for verify / troubleshooting.

Edited by Benson