preclear "Verifying unRAID's Preclear signature: FAILED"

############################################################################################################################
#                                                                                                                          #
#                                      unRAID Server Preclear of disk WD-WCC4N3YDXYXU                                      #
#                                       Cycle 1 of 1, partition start on sector 64.                                        #
#                                                                                                                          #
#   Step 1 of 5 - Pre-read verification:                                                   [7:44:37 @ 107 MB/s] SUCCESS    #
#   Step 2 of 5 - Zeroing the disk:                                                        [3:33:28 @ 234 MB/s] SUCCESS    #
#   Step 3 of 5 - Writing unRAID's Preclear signature:                                                          SUCCESS    #
#   Step 4 of 5 - Verifying unRAID's Preclear signature:                                                           FAIL    #
############################################################################################################################
#                              Cycle elapsed time: 11:18:09 | Total elapsed time: 11:18:09                                 #

#                                               S.M.A.R.T. Status default                                                  #
#   SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED                                                               #

--> FAIL: unRAID's Preclear signature not valid.

numfmt: invalid format '%1.f', directive must be %['][-][N]f
root@Tower:/usr/local/emhttp#

I preleared this drive successfully a week ago as a replacement for my parity drive that kept getting errors.  Thankfully it was under warranty.  Everything worked fine until this weekend.  My wife says everything was fine while I was gone but when I returned home I found the new Parity Drive had a red X.  I tried assigning it and rebooting and then reassigning it but it wouldn't enable it.  So I unassigned it rebooted and started a Preclear.  It seemed to go fine until the above error.  I've attached the logs I think are needed and hopefully one of you can help me out.

Thanks 

tower-diagnostics-20170403-0851.zip

TOWER-preclear.disk-20170403-0854.zip

59 minutes ago, Japes said:

I preleared this drive successfully a week ago as a replacement for my parity drive that kept getting errors.  Thankfully it was under warranty.  Everything worked fine until this weekend.  My wife says everything was fine while I was gone but when I returned home I found the new Parity Drive had a red X.  I tried assigning it and rebooting and then reassigning it but it wouldn't enable it.  So I unassigned it rebooted and started a Preclear.  It seemed to go fine until the above error.  I've attached the logs I think are needed and hopefully one of you can help me out.

Are you sure you are using the current version of the plugin?

54 minutes ago, Japes said:

I wasn't aware there was a new version so my guess would be that I am indeed not using the new version.

In general you should always check for updates before asking for plugin support.

Looks like you are running a pretty old version of unRAID also.

For the record, the reason I've used unRAID for so long was that if you had a stable platform that worked you didn't need to constantly update every time something was updated.  Most updates were adding new improvements as nothing needed to be "fixed" since it worked. I ran an older version for a long time and only upgraded when I decided to go beyond 2 TB drives.  Asking for plugin support for something that was not buggy without checking for an updated version was never on my radar.

I have now updated everything (v6 interface does make it extremely easy by the way) so I'll try again.  Since apparently there was no other issues in my logs I'll report back in 24 hours or so.

Edited by Japes
  • Upvote 1

OK.  I've updated everything as suggested and rebooted.  Started Preclear and this is what I got...

Disk log

Apr 3 13:12:03 Tower kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sdh] 5860533168 512-byte logical blocks: (3.00 TB/2.73 TiB)
Apr 3 13:12:03 Tower kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sdh] 4096-byte physical blocks
Apr 3 13:12:03 Tower kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sdh] Write Protect is off
Apr 3 13:12:03 Tower kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sdh] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
Apr 3 13:12:03 Tower kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sdh] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
Apr 3 13:12:03 Tower kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sdh] Attached SCSI removable disk
Apr 3 13:12:16 Tower emhttp: WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0_WD-WCC4N3YDXYXU (sdh) 2930266532
Apr 3 16:27:03 Tower kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sdh] tag#11 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08
Apr 3 16:27:03 Tower kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sdh] tag#11 Sense Key : 0x5 [current]
Apr 3 16:27:03 Tower kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sdh] tag#11 ASC=0x21 ASCQ=0x4
Apr 3 16:27:03 Tower kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sdh] tag#11 CDB: opcode=0x88 88 00 00 00 00 00 a5 01 28 00 00 00 08 00 00 00
Apr 3 16:27:03 Tower kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdh, sector 2768316416
Apr 3 16:27:03 Tower kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sdh] Stopping disk
Apr 3 16:27:03 Tower kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sdh] Start/Stop Unit failed: Result: hostbyte=0x04 driverbyte=0x00

TOWER-preclear.disk-20170403-2221.zip

tower-diagnostics-20170403-2223.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of starting a new thread, I think my preclear failed question may be related. I am attaching some files, including diagnostics file. 

All my software is up-to-date 

The hard drive has been precleared at least 4 times and each time, it stops at 82-89% at the first Pre-read cycle. 

Any advice will be appreciated. Regards. cL

clnasty3-diagnostics-20170419-2031.zip

clnasty3-preclear_screenshots,etc.zip

Edited by cliewmc
  • 2 years later...

Using plugin version 2019.11.22, I just tried to preclear a 10tb and it failed with:

unRAID's signature on the MBR failed - Aborted
                                         unRAID Server Preclear of disk ZA2XXXXX                                          #
#                                       Cycle 1 of 2, partition start on sector 64.                                        #
#   Step 1 of 5 - Verifying unRAID's Preclear signature:                                                           FAIL    #
#   Step 2 of 5 - Writing unRAID's Preclear signature:                                                          SUCCESS    #
#   Step 3 of 5 - Zeroing the disk:                                                       [14:40:54 @ 189 MB/s] SUCCESS    #
#   Step 4 of 5 - Pre-read verification:                                                  [14:43:57 @ 188 MB/s] SUCCESS    #
#                              Cycle elapsed time: 29:24:54 | Total elapsed time: 29:24:54                                 #

#
#                                        S.M.A.R.T. Status (device type: default)                                         
#   ATTRIBUTE                    INITIAL  STATUS                                                                           #
#   5-Reallocated_Sector_Ct      0        -                                                                                #
#   9-Power_On_Hours             0        -                                                                                #
#   184-End-to-End_Error         0        -                                                                                #
#   187-Reported_Uncorrect       0        -                                                                                #
#   190-Airflow_Temperature_Cel  21       -                                                                                #
#   197-Current_Pending_Sector   0        -                                                                                #
#   198-Offline_Uncorrectable    0        -                                                                                #
#   199-UDMA_CRC_Error_Count     0        -                                                                                #
#
#   SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED                                                               #

--> FAIL: unRAID's Preclear signature not valid.

Anything useful I can provide?

preclear.disk.log

Edited by Simon