Backing Up USB Key

I am having trouble backing up the usb key (flash share) to a windows 10 machine. I can see the flash share in windows networking but when I try to copy it over I get an unknown error occurred.

So I thought I would try to copy it using Unraid and Dolpin but I cannot reach any of the windows shares in Dolphin I just get an error they cannot be found. I get lost just with windows permissions let alone trying to figure out windows and Unraid. I tried stopping the array but that didn't work either. I have two users the same name and password on both plus root on Unraid.I have three other shares which I made and I can copy backwards and forwards fine in windows.

So, I would like to backup my usb key

I would like to see the windows shares in Dolphin.

Its a Trial key don't know if that makes a difference? I intend to buy a licence tomorrow and just want to know I can backit up.

Thanks.

22 minutes ago, oneclear said:

So, I would like to backup my usb key

Does your flash share have Public access? If so then anybody should be able to copy it over the network unless there is something wrong with it. If it does have Public access and you still have problems, go to Tools - Diagnostics and post complete zip.

You should always stop the array before making a backup of flash, because one of the things stored in config/super.dat is whether the array is stopped or started. If you ever restore a backup that said your array was started and then boot, unRAID will assume an unclean shutdown and start a parity check since the array should not show as started until after boot and if it does, that indicates it was not stopped before the last shutdown.

Also, config/super,dat contains your drive assignments. You should never restore a flash backup that is so old that it doesn't contain your current drive assignments. If in doubt, delete config/super.dat from the backup and reassign your drives instead.

23 minutes ago, oneclear said:

I would like to see the windows shares in Dolphin.

Why?

You can use the Unassigned Devices plugin to allow unRAID to mount network shares. Then you would need to set your Dolphin volume mappings so it could see them.

Can you browse the Flash Drive from Windows Explorer? What I generally do to backup my Flash Drive is to (1) stop the array, (2) open up the Network Folder and double-click on my server name, and double-click on the flash folder, select all of the contents, and copy the selection to a folder somewhere on my computer.

Just now, Frank1940 said:

Can you browse the Flash Drive from Windows Explorer? What I generally do to backup my Flash Drive is to (1) stop the array, (2) open up the Network Folder and double-click on my server name, and double-click on the flash folder, select all of the contents, and copy the selection to a folder somewhere on my computer.

31 minutes ago, oneclear said:

I can see the flash share in windows networking but when I try to copy it over I get an unknown error occurred.

In general, you can't copy a network share in Windows, whether that share is on unRAID or any other computer. You have to copy its contents. So if you were trying to copy the share itself, that is the problem. You must do as Frank1940 suggested and open the share and copy its contents.

25 minutes ago, trurl said:

In general, you can't copy a network share in Windows, whether that share is on unRAID or any other computer. You have to copy its contents. So if you were trying to copy the share itself, that is the problem. You must do as Frank1940 suggested and open the share and copy its contents.

I actually know that, been a long day. Trying to over think the problem, it's known as panic. Thank you both for being so helpful, I think I have read too much and watched too many videos (on Unraid) you start looking for problems that don't exist.