NFS Issues After Rebuild

Finally rebuilt my server (formatted the stick) after losing all SMB access. Upgrade went ok, restored a backup and got all my dockers back with minimal effort, but now none of the NFS shares are working properly.

Example: Kodi. After I lost SMB access, I enabled NFS for the media shares till I got around to fixing it. I used Kodi to browse for the NFS source/server, added it and remapped all my sources. (openelec and Win10 boxes). Now, after the rebuild, my unraid box doesn't come up at all on the list of NFS servers.

The shares are set to use NFS and SMB and both are set to "public" security, but I can only see/access the SMB shares. (I really don't want to redo my library AGAIN.) I'm hoping I just missed something obvious and someone can point it out to me. :)

Diags attached.

Thanks!!

planetexpress-diagnostics-20170404-2112.zip

Edited by thestip

Static IP, same as last time. And that wouldn't keep the server from being seen on the network. Regardless of the IP used, I should be able to see the server when browsing for an NFS share. If I force the address manually, it simply won't connect.

Edited by thestip

I never said I changed any hardware; same hardware, same IP. Even if the IP was different, it would still show up when browsing for NFS servers and it doesn't. In Kodi (Windows and Openelec) I can see the samba shares by browsing for a samba server, by manually entering the name, and by manually entering the IP. I can browse to the unraid server on my windows box by name and IP, I can get to it via putty using telnet and ssh. From the Pi, I can browse to the samba server/shares, but not NFS.

On either one, If I manually enter the IP for an NFS server, I can see the shares, (listed as '/mnt/user/sharename') but they're "empty" when I select them. When I first noticed that part, I ran the new permissions tool hoping that would fix it.

As for how the router "knows" it's static... well, it's not in the router's range of DHCP addresses, so it has to be static. 

Yup. Stopped and started NFS a few times, stopped/started exporting on each share, changed permissions from, and back to, public, rebooted.

On the Shares page, they each show "Public" under SMB and NFS.

In Kodi, (PC or Pi) when I enter an IP address manually for an NFS server, I see the shares by their path, not by their share name, and the path is empty. ie: I see "/nfs/10.0.0.151/mnt/user/Movies", "/nfs/10.0.0.151/mnt/user/TV", "/nfs/10.0.0.151/mnt/user/Music". I should just see "Movies", "TV", and "Music" as I do with samba shares. When I select one, I should see the folders in that share but I don't.

Now here's the kicker: When I stop exporting NFS for a share, the path/share (/nfs/10.0.0.151/mnt/user/Movies) no longer shows up as it did above. I start the export again, it shows back up on the list, still empty.

Edited by thestip

Sorry, I can't be of much help at this point.  I don't have a recent Linux setup as it has been about eight years since I had had a Linux distribution installed as a PC.  But even in those days, I had to install and still up SMB as a service since all of the other computers were Windows boxes.  (That was a real learning process back in those days as one had to basically generate smb.conf --- but that is another story!)   The devices on my network that I have today that run Linux are the Netgear NTV-550 which is at least seven years old design and I use SMB even on those as any performance difference between SMB and NFS (today) is undetectable even on them.

But those boxes require that the IP address of the server be known and used.  You can't browse for resources using NFS from them.  This (I thought) was always the reason that you had to assign permanent IP addresses if you wanted to use NFS as a file server.  (But it could well be that things have changed since I last used NFS in a modern Linux distribution...)

I just checked on one of my Netgear boxes and I can see and play media from the NFS shares on both of my Netgear boxes (I had them setup to use NFS when SMB had some real issues back when I first setup my servers)  so NFS (apparently) is not totally broke on the most recent release.  Do you have to use NFS with Kodi or is this something that is just bugging you? 

Edited by Frank1940

No, I don't need NFS, but it should be working. The whole point of rebuilding was to fix a broken service, so I'm basically back where I started. Time spent rebuilding the server was wasted as it's still "broken". Very frustrating. Thanks for trying to help though!