Best way to assign a HDD to single task ?

Hi All

I have just put a WD purple drive in (for my cctv cameras to record too) The VM for the CCTV will be on the SSD (cache drive) however i dont want any data on the CCTV drive just the recorded Video's from the software on the VM. Whats my best way of doing this? i want to be able to map the drive on other windows machines. and set the VM (on the ssd) to record to this drive letter. Should i set this up as another cache drive ? 

Just incase cache drive atm is a 128gb ssd just used for OS's of VM's and a few apps

the drive i want for CCTV is 2tb WD Purple. 

Its not essential if this drive fails and i loose the data so do not need any raid on this drive.  

OK I have broken something :( so originally i plugged the WD Purple in and assigned it as a cache drive for a few moments then realised this is probably not right. Having now removed it and have it mounted with the app the SSD will not mount

Im happy to loose the data on it so tried to format it and well...... Unmountable - Bound to btrfs pool  

What have i done and how do i fix this ?

Apr 5 13:30:21 Tower emhttp: shcmd (384): set -o pipefail ; mkfs.btrfs -f -K -dsingle -msingle /dev/sde1 |& logger
Apr 5 13:30:21 Tower root: ERROR: /dev/sde1 is mounted

Edited by Randall8686

See FAQ. Scroll down for instructions on dealing with cache pools.

After you get back to just your SSD cache, you can assign the purple to the array if you want but it will keep parity spinning while it is recording, since all writes to the array also write parity. If you want to do that instead of making it an Unassigned Device, let me know and I will give you further ideas on how you can keep other things from using it.

OK im a little confused by this, Think i need to give up for the eve and put my head to this tomorrow, All i want to do it format the SSD and assign it as a cache drive again, Why is this so difficult when i have no cache at the moment.

Is there any disadvantage to running the purple as a unassigned device? im not fussed about having the parity drive spinning 24/7 but not really keen on it constantly being written to as its going to shorten its life considerably given the constant stream of 2/3 1080p cameras hounding it. Essentially i just want to point the software in a win10 VM to record to that drive an access that drive from other machines. If the drive failed its not really a "problem" as any saved recordings will be transferred to the array. 

Wiping the purple should allow you to format the SSD, in the console type in this order:

wipefs -a /dev/sdX1

Note the 1 in the end, then:

wipefs -a /dev/sdX

Replace X with current WD purple letter, after and with the SSD assigned as single cache try to format it one more time.

On 4/5/2017 at 4:18 PM, Randall8686 said:

OK cheers, I was guessing if its part of the Parity array then it will get used for "everything" and all i want it for is recording the CCTV cams. 

unRAID user shares have "Included disk(s)" and "Excluded disk(s)" parameters.  If you want this drive to be part of the parity protected array you can setup the include and exclude parameters so that your videos user share uses the purple, and your other user shares do not.  It will take a little work over time to maintain, though.

4 minutes ago, tdallen said:

unRAID user shares have "Included disk(s)" and "Excluded disk(s)" parameters.  If you want this drive to be part of the parity protected array you can setup the include and exclude parameters so that your videos user share uses the purple, and your other user shares do not.  It will take a little work over time to maintain, though.

Or you could exclude the disk from User Shares completely in Global Share Settings. You would still be able to share the disk itself over the network, it just wouldn't be part of any User Share.

But, as I already mentioned, if it is part of the parity array, writing the disk will also write parity, so having it as an Unassigned Device is probably better for this use.

OK Its all setup now and seems to be working, he VM is on the SSD and the CCTV software writing to the WD Purple just fine. Getting my hear around this all slowly but surely. Next task moving my Plex server from a Synology environment to Unraid. The Mrs is going to be so unhappy if i cannot transfer how far she is into each season etc..... ha