Upgrade Questions

Version 4 and 5 have done me quite well

would def love to add the option for dual parity with version 6 so wondering if I will have any issues with my hardware

I only use it as a NAS ...at this point I am lost between the differences between plugins and dockers lol

my hardware was a pretty standard build in 2010 when I put it together

mobo- Asus M4A785-M

CPU - AMD Sempron 140

Ram - 2gb

Sata - Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8

I don't know yet if everything can be done through plugins or if anything is now built into unraid but the things I use are

UPS Comms

Clean Power Down

Unmenu

Pre_Clear

Email Notifications

would like to add

Sab

Sonarr

Plex Server - No Transcoding

Does anyone see any potential issues hardware wise because im not caught up on current issues

the would like to add items are currently running on another pc so its not vital but would be nice to add to my server if you guys think the hardware can handle it

It's been a while just because it just runs so Hello to all the new well new to me people lol

Hi - your plugins have largely been replaced with native functionality in unRAID 6+.  I think you'll really like it... but you'd probably struggle a bit trying to run those Dockers with 2GB and a Sempron 140.  The Sempron is a single core CPU that will slow down on parity checks with unRAID 6+, and a Sempron with 2GB is probably a minimum spec for basic NAS functionality these days.  Folks in your situation have successfully done CPU and RAM upgrades if you are interested... 

You might want to read through this old thread on my experiences with the Sempron 140 and my attempts to up grade it.

From a bit of comparison, the present upgrade Testbed server (spec below) has the same identical HD's in it and the parity check time is now  7 hours, 47 minutes, 27 seconds. Average speed: 107.0 MB/sec

One more data point.   Cost of the upgrade was approximately $250 per server in the December/January time period.  (It is always best to weigh all of your options before you start down the upgrade path as anything you spend on it will be a sunk cost that you will never recover!)   And the i3 CPU has the horse power to handle one (and probably two) Plex 1080p transcoding streams which will give you a bit of future-proofing that an upgrade will probably not provide. (The reason that i3 parity check time is so fast is that it contains the matrix function operation instruction that powers the dual parity math.  Earlier processors have to do all of that complex math by brute force which really takes the CPU cycles.)