New Install Question

crowdx42

Hi all,

simple question, if I download unRAID and boot from the USB drive with a full pro license and the drives I use were already used in an unRAID install, will the new installation find the shares from the old install or will all the shares have to be setup fresh.

My instinct tells me it should detect the shares, otherwise how the data on the drives would be just dumped into a huge folder. My assumption is that the shares in unRAID are the same as folder in Windows and that the shares travel with the hard drive.

Correct?

So with a new install like this all that would then need to be updated would be any installed Dockers which, if the apps folder is on the cache drive, could be installed and pull the original setups from the apps folder. My thought is dockers like Sonar take quite a bit of setup if there is an existing library and so pulling in the old config/setup would save a lot of time.

The configuration for any specific docker is an XML template stored on flash. The template contains the information for prefilling the form to add that specific docker. The information on the form is simply the parameters for the docker run command. The docker run command tells the docker engine which docker to install, how it maps to unRAID storage and ports, and other things.

As long as you have the template, you can reload a docker just as it was, and if it has any appdata (its working storage), the template will know where that working storage is on unRAID. Without the template, you would have to fill in the form again.

Community Applications plugin greatly simplifies this by letting you load default templates the docker authors have created, which you then customize for your specific use. When you apply a template, it is saved to flash for you to reuse.

Archived