Testing on a network with a domain.

Got all hardware issues sorted out. Next question: I am hoping to be able to test unRaid on a network with a domain. Is this not possible without the pro version? Is there any way just to make the shares show up on the network without worrying about tying it in with active directory?

Is there any way just to make the shares show up on the network without worrying about tying it in with active directory?

What you will see, if you login on a Windows machine that is in the Domain is that your unRAID server shows up as a workgroup machine rather than a member of the domain.  You can still browse into it from a domain machine, but you may have to supply a username and password to connect to it. This is the situation I have even with a Pro license - I just have not spent the time to join my unRAID server into my domain, for a few reasons:

• the last time I messed with adding another Linux box to my Domain (which is actually controlled by a Linux SAMBA server, not Active Directory on a Windows box) something not-so-wonderful happened and the samba database went screwy...
  • I have a SageTV HD Theater box (a media player device that is customized for use with SageTV) and it prefers to get its files from workgroup rather than domain machines (I probably should test this with newer firmware to see if the issues have been fixed)
  • I have not seen many (or any?) reports of others joining unRAID servers into their domains as this is a relatively new feature in unRAID

Regards,

Stephen

Those sound like good solutions for the meantime. When I introduced the test box to the network - on the same switch that my desktop was on, I could not access the web ui nor the shares for some reason. I immediately assumed it was to do with the domain but by the sounds of it I *should* still be able to get it to work.

I guess the next step is to find out its new IP address and try to connect directly to that.

Thanks for the feedback!

Those sound like good solutions for the meantime. When I introduced the test box to the network - on the same switch that my desktop was on, I could not access the web ui nor the shares for some reason. I immediately assumed it was to do with the domain but by the sounds of it I *should* still be able to get it to work.

Make sure you set the workgroup in unRAID to the same as your NETBIOS domain name, not the FQDN.