Kernel panic after upgrade

This is SOOO frustrating. My entire house is offline. I just tried removing everything and boot a fresh install..same panic. WTF? How can something just change like that?!

Can I download old versions of unraid, I need to try an older (6+ months) since that's what I think I was running.

27 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

v6.2.4 is still on the download page, it uses a much older kernel, so it should work, but you could be stuck on and older insecure release, so also check for any bios update for your board.

Uh. So, that works. So I can't upgrade unraid at all anymore? I'm running an Intel S2600CP2J Motherboard so I'm guessing there are no bios updates since it's so old.

• 6 months later...

Having the same issue.

Someone suggested trying a different USB key -- did that and it has the same problem. I went out and bought the closest to the recommended USB key my B&M store had.

There was also a suggestion to disable ACPI -- that does seem to have an impact in that unRaid now hangs on

Intel_pstate: Intel P-state driver initializing 

so there is no Kernal Panic error either because turning off ACPI fixed that or introduced a new error that happens earlier so we never get to the Kernal Panic.

Will try the BIOS update next. I have SE5C600.86.B.01.02.0003. The S2600CP was a really popular board and that it appears only two of us have this issue makes me think the BIOS update might fix it.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be really grateful

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks I figured out the unRaid USB creator could do it -- I'm going to use a different key just to test if it will boot. Just waiting for the unRaid machine to not be in use. 

I agree that it is a kernel issue but just strange that only a small number of us (2 that I know of) are having this problem -- the SC2600 was a board that a decent number of people on the forum purchased about two years ago as it was one of the more popular choices in the E5-2670 megathread so I'd expect them all to be having this issue.

1 hour ago, Naldinho said:

Ok so tested it and 6.4 will boot fine.

As such I am done spending time trying to get 6.3 to work as when 6.4 is ready it will work.

Awesome news, thanks for doing this. 6.4 is still not official though right? I guess I'll give it a go this weekend so even if it's beta. 

How did you do the upgrade, from the UI or just copying files?

6.4 is not an official release yet -- no idea how soon it will be. They are on RC14. 

In the past, I have upgraded my other unRaid machine to beta versions with no issues. I think I did so for 6.3 but it was several versions in.much like 6.4 is. The other machine is not critical so I was comfortable upgrading to something that wasn't final -- my main unRaid is critical so less willing to upgrade without confirming that 6.4 is stable. The important thing is that it works so even if I have to stay with 6.2 for a few months eventually I'll have a path to upgrade.

I didn't upgrade to test it. I instead used the creation tool to make a new 6.4 USB key and swapped it in. The machine booted to Tower login and when I went to the url I was able to get to the page asking me to register my key so it boots.

The next stage is to find out if 6.4RC14 is stable. I guess that means reading through the 6.4 sub-forum and see what people are reporting.