Trouble with Array setup

Just recently installed unRAID on a completely new custom built setup with 4 6TB drives. I installed 6.3.3 and registered the 30 day trial.

I went to the array, added one as a parity, and the rest as disks. It is saying the configuration is valid, so I hit start, and the page begins to load something. I am not getting any messages on the bottom left of the browser like most people get about the progress of the array startup. The page finishes loading and loads the exact same array configuration page I had in the first place.

I rebooted with only 1 drive and no parity. I launched the array and the same exact thing happened. I attached the log for the 1 drive test.

I'd be great if it worked!

tower-syslog-20170406-2239.zip

Edited by king1153

Thanks for the help, I would've never thought that would be the issue.

I'm mainly concered about the disadvantages the 512byte sectors would cause on a 6tb drive vs the 4k sectors. I've looked a bit online but all the info I'm getting is from 2010, so it'd be nice if I could get a more modern opinion. Also, most of the individual files on the server will be around 20-30gb, so I'm thinking 4k sectors might be better?

It seems the 4k sector trend began around 2011. How come its taken that much time for unRAID to get support?

I'm thinking for the time being, I should probably use a different os that supports 4k sectors, and then switch back to unraid once support arrives.

Edited by king1153

4k disks with 512 Byte emulation (aka 512e, aka advanced format) appeared around 2010 and IIRC are supported by unRAID since v4.7.

4k native disks (aka 4kn, aka advanced format 4kn) are much less common and AFAIK don't have any real advantages compared with 512e disks for the common user (as long as the partition is properly 4k aligned like in unRAID).

There's always a label on the disk:

AF supported since v4.7, AF 4kn currently not supported.

af.png

4kn.png

Edited by johnnie.black
  • Upvote 1