[Support] Ninthwalker - NowShowing

dockerrepoimg.png

nowshowing-icon.pngApp name: NowShowing v2

Docker Hub: https://hub.docker.com/r/ninthwalker/nowshowing/

Github: https://github.com/ninthwalker/NowShowing

Wiki: https://github.com/ninthwalker/NowShowing/wiki  (A lot of good info)

The NowShowing docker provides a summary of new media that has recently been added to Plex.

You can select to have it generate an email and/or create a web page for your users to visit.

NowShowing is the successor of the popular plexReport docker. The original brainchild of bstascavage (https://github.com/bstascavage/plexReport).

Further developed by NinthWalker & enhanced by GroxyPod, NowShowing adds additional improvements and features in a friendly, easy to install docker.

Note: v1 is still available, however all work and updates are being done on the new v2.

It is recommended to do a fresh new install of NowShowing v2.

New for v2:

• Same great Email/webpage as v1
  • All new Web Interface for settings and customization
  • Library Filtering!
  • Tautulli Statistics Integration
  • New user Setup Wizard
  • Announcement Emails
  • Easy Plex token retrieval
  • Most email providers supported
  • BCC users instead of multiple emails
  • Password protected with Fail2ban support
  • On-Demand and Test reports
  • Web Log Viewer
  • Bug Fixes & Quality of life enhancements

Installation:

Preferred installation method: From the Community Applications 'APPS' section in unRAID.

Install the new "NowShowing v2" app.

You can also install by adding the following template repository:

https://github.com/ninthwalker/docker-templates/

Edited by ninthwalker
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

I have installed and it is working great. I had to modify the advanced.yaml. It seems that nothing in the settings of the docker are written to the advanced.yaml. 

Some lines I modified to work.

web:
  home_page: www/index.html <--------------added this line
  title_image: 'img/nowshowing.png'
  logo: 'img/logo.png'
  headline_title: 'Just added:'
  headliners: 'Laughs, Screams, Thrills, Entertainment'
  footer: 'Thanks for watching!'
  language: 'en'
plex:
  server: 192.168.xxx.xxx <--------------Added this line
  api_key: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX <----------------Addd this line
  plex_user_emails: 'yes'

mail:
  address: smtp.gmail.com <--------Added
  port: 587 <------------Added
  username: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <--------Added
  password: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <------------Added

Once i had added all that it works great. Web page displays and emails are sent.

Just re-ran the report but this time at interval 7 instead of 1 and the docker will need to be restarted in order for the webpage to refresh the updated info. I have been testing this out with putty. Command I use is docker exec nowshowing combinedreport -d -t

Thanks

Edited by Harro
re ran docker.
I have installed and it is working great. I had to modify the advanced.yaml. It seems that nothing in the settings of the docker are written to the advanced.yaml. 

Some lines I modified to work.
web: home_page: www/index.html <--------------added this line title_image: 'img/nowshowing.png' logo: 'img/logo.png' headline_title: 'Just added:' headliners: 'Laughs, Screams, Thrills, Entertainment' footer: 'Thanks for watching!' language: 'en'plex: server: 192.168.xxx.xxx <--------------Added this line api_key: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX <----------------Addd this line plex_user_emails: 'yes'mail: address: smtp.gmail.com <--------Added port: 587 <------------Added username: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <--------Added password: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <------------Added

Once i had added all that it works great. Web page displays and emails are sent.
 Just re-ran the report but this time at interval 7 instead of 1 and the docker will need to be restarted in order for the webpage to refresh the updated info. I have been testing this out with putty. Command I use is docker exec nowshowing combinedreport -d -t

Thanks

You shouldn't need to add anything that is required in the docker template as that is written inside the docker now instead of outputting to the file.

Did your NowShowing not work without adding the additional information you listed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
3 minutes ago, GroxyPod said:

You shouldn't need to add anything that is required in the docker template as that is written inside the docker now instead of outputting to the file.

Did your NowShowing not work without adding the additional information you listed?

It did not work. I had tried both the stable and dev releases. I had removed the docker and reinstalled 4 times. Each time I would get an error in putty with saying that no socket was available and no killing the process.

Each time I looked at the advanced.yaml and nothing had been written to it. So I took the settings from plexreport config.yaml and entered that info into the advance yaml. Once I did that the emails would go out but the webpage would only show the default page stating once report has run this page will show. etc.etc.  So I then added the  

home_page: www/index.html

and it poped right up with all the info.

It did not work. I had tried both the stable and dev releases. I had removed the docker and reinstalled 4 times. Each time I would get an error in putty with saying that no socket was available and no killing the process.

Each time I looked at the advanced.yaml and nothing had been written to it. So I took the settings from plexreport config.yaml and entered that info into the advance yaml. Once I did that the emails would go out but the webpage would only show the default page stating once report has run this page will show. etc.etc.  So I then added the  

Ok. We'll take a look tonight. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Harro said:

So a few things here. I think you may have mistyped something into the original docker template variables when you were first trying and then upon your successful install entered everything correctly. The reason I say this is that all the fields you added to the advanced.yaml are not really being seen by the program. It's not programmatically possible as it is looking for a different file for those settings. Same with the "home_page" you added. That variable doesn't exist anywhere.

The idea with the template variables is that if someone doesn't want to modify any files, the docker will 'just work' with only the template variables.

If they want additional control then that's where they can modify the advanced.yaml file.

You can verify that your variables from the template are correctly being written by running this command below from unRAID console

It is this file that is read for the plex/email connections. The file should look exactly like the code below (but your own variables) and not be modified as it will be overwritten from the docker template variable upon a restart.

docker exec nowshowing cat /opt/config.yaml

This should display something similar to:

---
plex:
  server: 192.168.1.55
  api_key: evR45JG90USwqMChR2
mail:
  address: smtp.gmail.com
  port: '587'
  username: [email protected]
  password: TopSecretP@ssw0rd!

4 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

Where are these options selected and is there anyway to prompt the docker to do the initial run?

After you fill in the basic template info and install the docker navigate to your appdata config directory. In there will be an advanced.yaml settings file that you can modify to change the time and report type and logo's, etc. look at the example file or go to the github page for help on the settings. 

43 minutes ago, ninthwalker said:

After you fill in the basic template info and install the docker navigate to your appdata config directory. In there will be an advanced.yaml settings file that you can modify to change the time and report type and logo's, etc. look at the example file or go to the github page for help on the settings. 

Thanks. Can you give me a rough idea how long the report takes to run?

1 hour ago, wgstarks said:

Thanks. Can you give me a rough idea how long the report takes to run?

Depends on how much content has been added during the polling period. 

If you have added 12 movies and 20 TV shows in the past week it may take a few minutes. It has to scan your plex libraries then get the metadata from themoviedb or tvdb and they have rate limits on their API's.

On 4/16/2017 at 9:47 PM, ninthwalker said:

look at the example file or go to the github page for help on the settings.

Just a suggestion, the github readme and docker wiki have a lot of great info on setup and operation of this docker. Might add a link in the OP with a note to that effect. Maybe some people will take the time to read them before asking questions.:)

Great wiki BTW.

I'm having issues with this docker. It seems that it cant run it.

I have run this command to get a test

docker exec nowshowing combinedreport -t

Error message

/usr/local/sbin/emailreport:120:in `block in getMovies': undefined method `each' for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)
        from /usr/local/sbin/emailreport:98:in `each'
        from /usr/local/sbin/emailreport:98:in `getMovies'
        from /usr/local/sbin/emailreport:369:in `main'
        from /usr/local/sbin/emailreport:389:in `<main>'

12 hours ago, citrius said:

I'm having issues with this docker. It seems that it cant run it.

I have run this command to get a test

Error message

/usr/local/sbin/emailreport:120:in `block in getMovies': undefined method `each' for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)
        from /usr/local/sbin/emailreport:98:in `each'
        from /usr/local/sbin/emailreport:98:in `getMovies'
        from /usr/local/sbin/emailreport:369:in `main'
        from /usr/local/sbin/emailreport:389:in `<main>'

So I have actually come across that myself before.

It's usually if I have a Plex Library with nothing in it. I haven't figured out a way yet for it to not error out on that bug.

Can you check if you have a Library created with nothing in it? If so are you able to remove the Library and does the report run then?

If you don't have an empty Library then I'm not sure what the issue is and I'll have to get more debugging from you and look into it.

• Upvote 1
On 4/18/2017 at 8:05 AM, wgstarks said:

Just a suggestion, the github readme and docker wiki have a lot of great info on setup and operation of this docker. Might add a link in the OP with a note to that effect. Maybe some people will take the time to read them before asking questions.:)

Great wiki BTW.

Good idea, thanks for the suggestion.

3 hours ago, ninthwalker said:

So I have actually come across that myself before.

It's usually if I have a Plex Library with nothing in it. I haven't figured out a way yet for it to not error out on that bug.

Can you check if you have a Library created with nothing in it? If so are you able to remove the Library and does the report run then?

If you don't have an empty Library then I'm not sure what the issue is and I'll have to get more debugging from you and look into it.

It was the empty Library that made this issue.

Thank you

This docker doesn't seem to be working for me. It runs if I use

but not on a schedule.

advanced.yaml-

---
email:
  title: 'New This Week'
  image: 'http://i.imgur.com/LNTSbFl.png'
web:
plex:
mail:
  subject: 'Now Showing'
  recipients_email: ['[email protected]']
  recipients: ['PLEX_USER']
report:
  interval: 7
  report_type: 'both'
  email_report_time: '30 16 * * 0'
  web_report_time: '40 16 * * *'
  extra_details: 'yes'
  test: 'disable'

Guessing that my cron settings are wrong? This should have updated the web page a few minutes ago if I've got it setup right. I restarted the docker after making changes to advanced.yaml and there are new movies in Plex. Web page didn't change and no email.

Edit: Emptied my cache and I see that the web page did update. No email though.

NowShowingLog.txt

Edited by wgstarks
1 hour ago, wgstarks said:

but not on a schedule.

advanced.yaml-

---
email:
  title: 'New This Week'
  image: 'http://i.imgur.com/LNTSbFl.png'
web:
plex:
mail:
  subject: 'Now Showing'
  recipients_email: ['[email protected]']
  recipients: ['PLEX_USER']
report:
  interval: 7
  report_type: 'both'
  email_report_time: '30 16 * * 0'
  web_report_time: '40 16 * * *'
  extra_details: 'yes'
  test: 'disable'

Guessing that my cron settings are wrong? This should have updated the web page a few minutes ago if I've got it setup right. I restarted the docker after making changes to advanced.yaml and there are new movies in Plex. Web page didn't change and no email.

NowShowingLog.txt

To clarify, your plex account email gets it when you do a manual -t but not when the cron job runs it?

what does the below cmd look like? Does it list the 2 cron's?

"docker exec nowshowing crontab -l"

2 hours ago, wgstarks said:

but not on a schedule.

advanced.yaml-

---email: title: 'New This Week' image: 'http://i.imgur.com/LNTSbFl.png' footer: 'Thanks for watching!' language: 'en'web: title_image: 'img/nowshowing.png' logo: 'img/logo.png' headline_title: 'Just added:' headliners: 'Laughs, Screams, Thrills, Entertainment' footer: 'Thanks for watching!' language: 'en'plex: plex_user_emails: 'yes'mail: from: 'Plex Server' subject: 'Now Showing' recipients_email: ['[email protected]'] recipients: ['PLEX_USER']report: interval: 7 report_type: 'both' email_report_time: '30 16 * * 0' web_report_time: '40 16 * * *' extra_details: 'yes' test: 'disable'

NowShowingLog.txt

Zero is not an acceptable number for the day of the week.

EDIT: Brain fart.

Edited by GroxyPod
59 minutes ago, GroxyPod said:

Zero is not an acceptable number for the day of the week.

According to wikipedia 0 and 7 are both Sunday. Tried changing the cron to 7 though, just to see. Still no email.

1 hour ago, ninthwalker said:

To clarify, your plex account email gets it when you do a manual -t but not when the cron job runs it?

what does the below cmd look like? Does it list the 2 cron's?

"docker exec nowshowing crontab -l"

Correct. ran with -t again just to double check since I've made a few changes. Still works perfectly.

root@Brunnhilde:~# docker exec nowshowing crontab -l
40 16 * * * webreport -d &> /dev/null
32 18 * * 7 emailreport -d &> /dev/null