Webinterface not accessible on Windows 10 machines

Hi Guys, all the "GUI is not working" threads are going in the same direction as this one.. 

I cant access the "GUI" from ANY browser on ALL my Windows 10 Machines Anymore !

Pings and File access seem also only to work sporadically!

I also tested Windows 7, Arch Linux, Ubuntu and Android and it works as expected  (including the shares !)

to pin down the problem i got you the files..

I think we got a bigger problem here as it comes absolutely unexpected and seem to hit a lot people

If you have any questions please ask, I would like to contribute in this 

Best regards

Christoph

storageserver-diagnostics-20160122-2337.zip

29 minutes ago, chrissi5120 said:

Is it possible to fix this permanently in unraid Builds in the future ?

Not sure what you mean by "fix". A large percentage of folks don't run any microsoft OS, so "fixing" it may reduce performance or features for those folks. Perhaps a GUI switch to cripple unraid so it talks to some picky flavors of MS? I definitely don't want unraid crippled out of the gate.

As I am experiencing this same issue and upgraded my Windows 10 to the Creators update over a week ago I'm curious is many of us did the same?

It was perhaps two weeks ago when the update was available for early adopters. If most of us with the issue could confirm whether they switched to Creators Update it could pin down a possible cause for advisory.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Not sure what you mean by "fix". A large percentage of folks don't run any microsoft OS, so "fixing" it may reduce performance or features for those folks. Perhaps a GUI switch to cripple unraid so it talks to some picky flavors of MS? I definitely don't want unraid crippled out of the gate.

sorry, I think I got you wrong on this one !

A fix is exactly what I am talking about:

If this problem affects Windows 10 in General (and I really think it does, because I only use stock Windows 10 (no preview stuff etc)),  we should consider this as a mayor problem..

Just look at the number of threads in this Board regarding problems with Windows 10, you will have a solution or a lot more Forum posts

I really like all my picky flavors of my GNU+Linux Operating Systems (-; , but hey they are the minority in the World outside !

+ for you folks not running ANY Windows instance, there is the wonderful NFS protocol (though it is still pretty much Beta in Unraid, it works pretty fine):

I really like your Idea pretty much by the way, a simple switch for Windows support seems great and you don't have to turn it on !

best regards 

Christoph

Windows is sort of a moving target, since they seem to think they can do whatever they want and most users won't notice since most users only have Windows. I say this as someone who has mostly used and developed in Windows since the beginning.

Whatever unRAID could do to make itself "compatible" would only get broken by more changes in Windows. Plus the root of these problems probably lies in linux rather than in unRAID. Probably not a good idea for limetech to be constantly spending time customizing the kernal or samba, for example.

4 minutes ago, trurl said:

Windows is sort of a moving target, since they seem to think they can do whatever they want and most users won't notice since most users only have Windows. I say this as someone who has mostly used and developed in Windows since the beginning.

Whatever unRAID could do to make itself "compatible" would only get broken by more changes in Windows. Plus the root of these problems probably lies in linux rather than in unRAID. Probably not a good idea for limetech to be constantly spending time customizing the kernal or samba, for example.

does this really need kernel changes ?

That would be crappy, got it !

Got the same problem here!

Don't know exacly on wich day this happend to me.

After some minutes after boot, i can't go to webgui either smb-shares or anything - no ping, no ssh.

Server runs fine with gui. Pings are going through. My sophos says evrything fine. After disabling avast antivirus i can find the server again.

Maybee an avast problem? sylog files look clean.

This is a client side issue. This is not an unRaid server side issue.

I run several Win10 systems and ALL of them can access the unRaid Web UI perfectly fine from several different browsers, Edge, Chrome, Firefox. If you're having issues it's something specific to your client side machine.

Make sure to WhiteList your unRaid server in your various browsers settings and any ad-block settings as well as any anti-virus web scanners like Eset Nod32, Avast, etc.

Agreed with the above I have multiple Win 10 boxes that I've had absolutely no problem with. Win 10 sees it as smb 3 and communicates with it normally. Have a "vanilla" load of Windows you can test with? Most likely it's the security/AV software causing the issue. Especially with losing ping it's been blocked by something. 

Edited by phbigred

Avast appears to be the issue.  Quick solution for me was...
Firewall > Policies > Preferences > Turn on 'Allow all connections with Friends when in Private mode'

Then go to...
Firewall > Friends > See that the IP Address range for your router is listed
See that Avast uses a From & To range as two columns
The typical setting should be a 'From' range of 192.168.1.0 & 'To' range of 192.168.1.255

If you configured your router to use a different range you need to input it at this window.

Edited by TheFullTimer
  • Upvote 2
On 16.4.2017 at 10:32 PM, TheFullTimer said:

Avast appears to be the issue.  Quick solution for me was...
Firewall > Policies > Preferences > Turn on 'Allow all connections with Friends when in Private mode'

Then go to...
Firewall > Friends > See that the IP Address range for your router is listed
See that Avast uses a From & To range as two columns
The typical setting should be a 'From' range of 192.168.1.0 & 'To' range of 192.168.1.255

If you configured your router to use a different range you need to input it at this window.

yep, you basically did the same thing by disabling a lot of their built in security measures, good to see that it wasn't a Windows related problem in first place !

I would like to see a this stuff in the "Problems with WinX" sticky so that people can work down a list from top to bottom to eliminate those issues :)

best regards

Christoph

18 hours ago, chrissi5120 said:

yep, you basically did the same thing by disabling a lot of their built in security measures, good to see that it wasn't a Windows related problem in first place !

I would like to see a this stuff in the "Problems with WinX" sticky so that people can work down a list from top to bottom to eliminate those issues :)

best regards

Christoph

Well it opens up the Avast Firewall to everything on your LAN.  Once you know the IP assigned to your Unraid machine you could refine it to the static IP address.

However, I have occasionally noticed that their firewall still decides to block the GUI randomly.  Simply waiting a minute and refreshing the browser or launching a new session (again, a minute later) does work.

This whole experience has motivated me to build a PFSense box out of frustration.

PFSense is probably the best way to go for firewalling anyway! But the avast forums suggested to deactivate the "Port Scan Detection" feature and that seamed to work and fix the problem finally!
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=201129.0

Well I do appreciate their prompt response! Thanks for posting that over there. I am worried about a weird behavior I see when I originally changed their firewall settings to my previously mentioned fix.

I posted my observations here, https://forums.lime-technology.com/index.php?/topic/56747-6.3.3-Unraid-Firewall-question

When I get home I will disable their Port scan detections and monitor if the Unraid connection exhibits the same Wait and reconnect with new Port behavior.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk