-=Abathur=- my unRAID server is up

Saintdogz

Hello people.

My name is Molnar Tass, but You can all call me Saintdogz. 

Consider this topic as an introduction of me and my server. 

28 year old Software Test Engineer at a company that develops navigation systems for automotive. Called NNG.

I live in Hungary Budapest, moved from Transylvania 3 years ago to start a career. 

Love computer Hardware and love computer Software. 

I bought my server and unRAID for the pure reason of providing my family and friends back home a Plex server and an opportunity for me to learn virtualization and Linux based OS.

(it was the best choice of my life to buy the server that I'm about to share with You and unRAID as an OS to support it)

Hardware Specs:

• Dell Poweredge r410 1u rackmount server.
  • PERC 6/i raid controller
  • CPU: Dual xeon x5570
  • MEM: 24 GB DDR3 ECC memory
  • 2x 2tb WD red NAS drives (will upgrade it to 4 drives total) 
  • 1x Crucial MX-300 270 GB SSD as cache Drive
  • 2 Gigabit NIC's

Configs:

Drives: are not part of any RAID config. They are all part of separate virtual disks configured on my RAID controller (I let unRAID handle the disk array even if it consumes CPU that the RAID controller could handle) 

The 1st reason I let unRAID handle my disk array is because I did read that even if it keeps both disk on the same file system, the data is not split evenly among the drives. 

So this way each file is copied only on 1 disk and if data is being read it spins up only 1 disk at a time where the data is being kept. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this)

• Server room is a closet on my hallway cooled by 2 140mm Be_Quiet Pure Wings 2 fans. 1 as intake and one as exhaust. The server room (closet :P) is silenced since the server fans generate a lot of noise. (this was the most fun part.)
  • Have a 500 / 22 megabit internet - with a router that the ISP provided.
  • Using an 8 port Gigabit switch to connect the 2 NIC's and connecting my living room + my Internet to it. 
  • In my living room I am running an Airport Time Capsule (2tb hdd in it) in bridge mode to split the Internet in the room.
  • unRAID running with Advanced-ALB(6) network mode. 

This way I can save power and 

Docker:

• Plex
  • PlexPy
  • NetData
  • MineOS
  • Rutorrent
  • Dolphin
  • Openvpn-as

VM:

This is the most fun part where I learned a lot: 

I wanted to open ports for the Dockers and my admin page so I can reach it from outside - but it got cancelled because I read that unRAID is not prepared for that kind of security. 

The solution for this was the following:

Installed an Ubuntu -> installed NGINX webserver. I set up reverse proxy for my application so they can be reached securely from outside of my local network.

This way I have an extra layer of protection and I did not have to open any additional ports for my server's IP address. 

Well That's about it.

If You have any ideas or ways for me to improve my setup / system / software, Please feel free to leave a post under this topic. 

I came here to learn and help others in any way that I can.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

Have a great day!

#unRAID!

Regards,

Saintdogz