GPU pass through prevents VNC connections?

I built a windows 10 virtual machine with the intention of using it to assign one graphics card to a virtual machine, and then connect to the Virtual machine remotely, through VNC or similar method. This virtual machine wont be accessed anywhere but a small LAN network, and all of it is wired.

Before I assigned the GFX card it worked great connecting via VNC viewer. The second I added the GPU passthrough and rebooted though, I get the computer refused the connection. How do I passthrough the GPU but still get VNC connections? Might be relevant, but I am not using any visuals from the server I have this loaded on. I have power chords, and Ethernet hooked into it, nothing else.

Capture.PNG

23 minutes ago, Squid said:

If you want vnc when using a graphics card you have to install a vnc server on the VM (or connect via rdp if a windows vm)

Well damn I didn't expect to get someone so renowned in the community to respond. Which of the 2 would you recommend for lower latent ency, and if the former do you have a particular preference?

5 hours ago, sinsoffallengods said:

Well damn I didn't expect to get someone so renowned in the community to respond. Which of the 2 would you recommend for lower latent ency, and if the former do you have a particular preference?

No as renowned as @Squid, but if you have Windows 10 Pro, just enable Remote Desktop. If you have Windows 10 Home, Remote Desktop is not available and you need to install a VNC server.

Why do you pass through a GPU if you're remoteing in?

8 hours ago, sinsoffallengods said:

Well damn I didn't expect to get someone so renowned in the community to respond

I was bored....B|  But, if I'm so renowned, then you can do this:

6e5b9e81b4b4385f33ea4273b34f1c92.400x320

But yeah, as @saarg says, why pass through a GPU if you aren't going to use it?  But as for your answer as to which has the lowest latency the GPU will by far have the lowest latency (as in none)

Edited by Squid
3 hours ago, Squid said:

I was bored....B|  But, if I'm so renowned, then you can do this:

6e5b9e81b4b4385f33ea4273b34f1c92.400x320

But yeah, as @saarg says, why pass through a GPU if you aren't going to use it?  But as for your answer as to which has the lowest latency the GPU will by far have the lowest latency (as in none)

6 hours ago, saarg said:

No as renowned as @Squid, but if you have Windows 10 Pro, just enable Remote Desktop. If you have Windows 10 Home, Remote Desktop is not available and you need to install a VNC server.

Why do you pass through a GPU if you're remoteing in?

*Kisses hand gently*

Anyways the reason I want to passthrough a gpu is because I need a VM that can be used remotely for low end gaming, specifically WoW. My mother is a gamer(not as much fun as is sounds cause she sucks D: ), and her computer's cpu is failing. We cant afford $200 to get her a cheap ass laptop and we already have a really powerful setup on my server. There is no room for a desktop in my dinky ass apartment, so that's why it needs to be remote. The lower latency the better! So between Remote desktop, and installing a VNC server, which will be best?

She will still be using her laptop until the thing finally croaks so optimally I need her to be able to use her laptop keyboard and wireless mouse for it.

• 3 years later...

might be kicking a dead horse here but another free alternative to Windows RDP is Parsec. I have been using it for a while now and have almost zero input lag or artifacts. RDP for me was too glitchy for most games/apps i was using as it runs a virtual desktop. Parsec behaves as if you were sitting at your desk, forwards controller, microphone and other peripheral data seamlessly. 

You can set the app the run at start up so as soon as the computer has loaded you can just remote into the login screen.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 5/19/2020 at 10:00 AM, PCwhale said:

might be kicking a dead horse here but another free alternative to Windows RDP is Parsec. I have been using it for a while now and have almost zero input lag or artifacts. RDP for me was too glitchy for most games/apps i was using as it runs a virtual desktop. Parsec behaves as if you were sitting at your desk, forwards controller, microphone and other peripheral data seamlessly. 

You can set the app the run at start up so as soon as the computer has loaded you can just remote into the login screen.

Parsec looks cool but expensive...