HandBrake

Thanks for the new docker, the previous one I had stopped working. I appreciate the Watch folder and using the info above in this thread, I've got it working with a custom preset.  Thanks

Is there a way to tell Handbrake where to move (not delete) the file out of the Watch folder when its done?  

Edited by Everend

I'm trying to use Guacamole to RDP to the HandBrake session but mouse and keyboard don't work. Using the RDP client built into Windows works fine. Am I doing something wrong?

FYI, the Remmina Remote Desktop Client on Ubuntu does the same thing.

Edited by Taddeusz
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/13/2017 at 2:55 PM, Taddeusz said:

I'm trying to use Guacamole to RDP to the HandBrake session but mouse and keyboard don't work. Using the RDP client built into Windows works fine. Am I doing something wrong?

On 6/13/2017 at 5:36 PM, Taddeusz said:

I notice when I connect using either Guacamole or Remmina the xrdp process begins using 100% CPU of a single one of my 8 cores.

Sounds like these might be related. I don't get this problem at all. What browser are you using? I'm tested with Chrome and Edge on Windows 10.

You might also want to try disabling any plugins you might have.

11 minutes ago, coppit said:

Sounds like these might be related. I don't get this problem at all. What browser are you using? I'm tested with Chrome and Edge on Windows 10.

You might also want to try disabling any plugins you might have.

I'm using Chrome. Not tried Edge. I noticed the same thing happening with my Ubuntu 17.04 VM after the last round of updates. xrdpd was working to connectly but now it tries and then disconnects. The VM then becomes impossible to use and needs a reboot. I've tried removing and reinstalling xrdp but that doesn't help. Not sure why it just all of a sudden stopped working?

Yeah, I was thinking that maybe the browser wasn't running some javascript efficiently or something.

Interesting that you're seeing the same problem with a full VM. So it's not docker-specific... How does the system utilization look (CPU, network) on the stats tab of your UI? If network is high, you could try installing and running nethogs. (I use nethogs-0.8.5-x86_64-2_slonly.txz)

The only other thing I could think to try is to disable plugins and other stuff you might be running on the server to see if something fixes it.

1 hour ago, coppit said:

Yeah, I was thinking that maybe the browser wasn't running some javascript efficiently or something.

Interesting that you're seeing the same problem with a full VM. So it's not docker-specific... How does the system utilization look (CPU, network) on the stats tab of your UI? If network is high, you could try installing and running nethogs. (I use nethogs-0.8.5-x86_64-2_slonly.txz)

The only other thing I could think to try is to disable plugins and other stuff you might be running on the server to see if something fixes it.

I figured out the xrdp issue with my Ubuntu VM. It's not related at all.

CPU and network utilization are both fine under normal circumstances. Only when I connect with anything other than the Windows Remote Desktop Client does xrdp max out a single core.

Hello,

I am running into something weird with my handbrake.

I installed it sometime last week and it was running great.

Last night I dumped a bunch of files into the Watch directory and it started processing them.

I went on about doing something else and accidentally clicked the Undo shortcut. So the OS moved the files from the Watch directory back to original place.

Took me a min to notice and move them back.

That was all she wrote after that.

No matter what I try I am greeted with:

HandBrake: Configuration error. COMMAND must be defined.

Tried uninstalling Handbrake and reinstalling it, redoing all the config, rebooting the whole server.

Still nothing. :(

HB-LOG.txt

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2017 at 7:39 AM, dimitriz said:

HandBrake: Configuration error. COMMAND must be defined.

Can you send me your log?

Also, what is the output of this? Use your container name instead of "HandBrake".

docker exec -it HandBrake ls -l /tmp/HandBrake.conf

That message is coming from the component that monitors the directory for changes. Double-check that COMMAND is defined either in your config file or the env vars of your container.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2017 at 8:00 PM, crasch said:

Handbrake 1.0.7 has been released. I notice the docker is still using 1.0.4. Is there instructions on how to upgrade?

From https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/issues/672:

They [1.0.4 and 1.0.7] are the same on Linux; 1.0.7 fixes some release build/packaging issues on other platforms. @jstebbins didn't push another ppa build because it isn't technically necessary.

On 9/9/2017 at 7:18 PM, arkestler said:

Is there a way to have the file deleted from the watch folder after completion of the conversion into the output folder?

No. I created a feature request for it: https://github.com/coppit/docker-handbrake/issues/2

• 2 weeks later...

I am having an issue when dropping a folder that contains the file to be converted into the watch folder. If I drop a file by itself, it has no issues grabbing it, converting, and putting it in the output folder, but if it is a file contained within a folder, it does not work.

My intent is it be able to drop a folder with a file in it into the watch folder, and have it output the folder/file into the output folder.

i.e. watch\ABC\ABC.MKV --> output\ABC\ABC.MKV

I have attached the log file of a sample failure. I have confirmed that it is not a permissions issue, and it is evidenced by the fact that the script can read the file info and attempt to begin the conversion. Any help is much appreciated!

subfolder error.txt

HandBrake.conf

Edited by antsh
attached handbrake.conf file
  • 2 months later...

Howdy,

When starting the Docker it uses about 0.02% CPU and 40Mb RAM.

After connecting via Web interface it's using about 0.07% CPU and 175Mb RAM.

Hours after converting a 50min Video which was about 1gb in size it uses about 1400Mb of RAM. Might there be an issue with RAM not being cleared?

And is there an easier way to prevent this than restarting the docker container manually after i'm done? I haven't found the "Shutdown" or "Reboot" options after conversion is done in Handbrake.

Greetings,

Haldi

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2017 at 5:32 PM, antsh said:

if it is a file contained within a folder, it does not work

Yep. It's a bug that I fixed in the latest version.

On 12/10/2017 at 5:37 PM, Haldi said:

Might there be an issue with RAM not being cleared?

Operating systems tend to try to keep useful memory around until there is pressure to give it up. It's also possible that the UI loads things it needs on first use. You can restart the container after every UI use, but in general I wouldn't worry about it.

If you'd like, in the latest version you can set USE_UI to "no" in your config file, and it will disable the UI, resulting in 10x less memory and CPU usage. I noticed that the CLI version is good about giving up the memory after an encode is complete.

The latest version disables the UI be default. If you wish to use the UI, set "USE_UI=true" in your HandBrake.conf file.

I just got the upgrade to this Docker. I've set USE_UI to "true" and to "yes" and the GUI still isn't running. With it set to "yes" I'm getting the following errors in my log:

[Feb 05 08:16:07 AM] Running HandBrake GUI
error: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set in the environment.

** (ghb:627): WARNING **: main: Cannot open display:

error: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set in the environment.

(ghb:627): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

I am getting a black screen after selecting the Handbrake module in the xrdp popup. It goes through the connection messages and then I am dropped to a black screen. (this is within a browser).

**Happens in RDP session too**

Edited by antsh
Checked RDP as well
8 minutes ago, antsh said:

I am getting a black screen after selecting the Handbrake module in the xrdp popup. It goes through the connection messages and then I am dropped to a black screen. (this is within a browser).

**Happens in RDP session too**

This is the same thing that's happening for me. But USE_UI isn't working.

USE_UI is working for me, here is my conf file just in case it helps anyone:

### Change monitoring settings

# If we don't see any events for $SETTLE_DURATION time, assume that it's safe to run HandBrake. Format is HH:MM:SS,
# with HH and MM optional.
SETTLE_DURATION=1:00

# However, if we see a stream of changes for longer than $MAX_WAIT_TIME with no break of $SETTLE_DURATION or more, then
# go ahead and run HandBrake. Otherwise we might be waiting forever for the directory to stop changing. Format is
# HH:MM:SS, with HH and MM optional.
MAX_WAIT_TIME=1:00:00

# After processing all the files in the watch dir, wait at least this long before doing it again, even if
# $SETTLE_DURATION time has passed after change. This controls the maximum frequency of the HandBrake runs.
MIN_PERIOD=0

# Set this to 1 to log all events, for debugging purposes. WARNING! This creates copious amounts of confusing logging!
DEBUG=0

# HandBrake doesn't write to the watch dir, so it's safe to keep watching for events.
IGNORE_EVENTS_WHILE_COMMAND_IS_RUNNING=0

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

### HandBrake settings

# Run the program as this user and group ID, which should match up with the host. This will ensure that the resulting
# converted video has the right ownership and permissions.
# The defaults typically correspond to the "root" user in the host. To change these, run the following commands (which use the
# "nobody" user and group) in the host and set the values here.
# id -u nobody
# id -g nobody
# su -l nobody -c umask
USER_ID=1000
GROUP_ID=100
UMASK=0000
USE_UI=true

# The command to run to convert the file. For a list of presets visit
# https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/technical/official-presets.html
HANDBRAKE_COMMAND='HandBrakeCLI --preset-import-file /output/Anton.json -Z 'Anton' -i "$SRCDIR/$SUBDIR/$FILENAME" -o "$DESTDIR/$SUBDIR/$BASE.mkv"'

I totally removed and reinstalled the HandBrake container. I'm still not getting the GUI. In the log I see these runsv messages in the saying that "./run" doesn't exist:

runsv handbrake-ui: warning: unable to open supervise/pid.new: file does not exist

runsv handbrake-ui: warning: unable to open supervise/pid.new: file does not exist

runsv handbrake-ui: fatal: unable to start ./run: file does not exist

08:13:33.082 [localhost-startStop-1] INFO o.g.g.n.b.w.t.WebSocketTunnelModule - Loading Tomcat 7 WebSocket support...
shutting down
signal 15 threadid 0x1471559b1740
Xlib: extension "XInputExtension" missing on display ":1".
Xlib: extension "XInputExtension" missing on display ":1".
ok: down: guacd: 0s, normally up
Feb 7 08:13:33 5d2a9773973b sesman[76]: [INFO ] shutting down sesman 1
Feb 7 08:13:33 5d2a9773973b sesman[76]: [CORE ] shutting down log subsystem...
ok: down: tomcat7: 0s, normally up
ok: down: xrdp: 0s, normally up
ok: down: xrdp-sesman: 0s, normally up
ok: down: openbox: 0s, normally up

runsv handbrake-ui: fatal: unable to start ./run: file does not exist

Edited by Taddeusz