[support] dlandon - Logitech Media Server

• 2 months later...

The latest release of LMS has added CORS security.

"Add CORS support

In Settings/Advanced/Security you can now define a list of hosts which are allowed to access your LMS.

Please note that in order for CORS to work, you have to disable the CSRF protection (off by default)."

Hi dlandon:

First of all thank you for all your hard work on this project; highly appreciated!

I am brand new to LMS as I am looking to substitute daapd on my Unraid server. For now I am running a Roon docker and it really works perfectly to stream to my existing 3 airport express.

Is this LMS docker able to stream from the unraid server to the airport express? Or do I have to add a plugin to make that happen? How do I go to do that?

I found this about an airplay plugin:

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?105198-ANNOUNCE-AirPlay-Bridge-integrate-AirPlay-devices-with-LMS-(squeeze2raop)

but I am clueless how to get this installed into the LMS docker.....?

Sorry, if that's a stupid question but I am still trying to work my head around this one.

Thanks!!

• 2 months later...

Enquiry post - has anybody experienced out of memory errors when running LMS?  I've had some OOM errors over the past few months that I've finally got around to looking into, and I suspect it *may* be Squeezebox (although to be honest I can't recall why I thought that in the first place).

This morning my server wasn't loading the interface properly until after a (messy) restart.  The following post suggests an out of memory error and I'm trying to track it down.  I'll follow the post's advice and turn it off for a while to try to isolate it if I can (although the default alarm on the radio when it can't find the server is somewhat annoying!).

Note: not sure if the recommendation in the first post of this thread would affect things - just applied it, but suspect it's more about performance.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2017 at 9:56 PM, dlandon said:

Recommended Settings

• Change the scanner performance setting - 'Settings->Advanced->Performance->Database Memory Config' to maximum.  This should speed up scanning of libraries, especially large libraries.

I had an out of memory error last night at about 3.15AM (Dec 2), which required a restart of the docker system to resolve.  Looking at the syslog from 3.13am it *looks* like  LMS was taking up a lot of memory and killed off.  The dashboard registered at 100% RAM use, but the docker tab, advanced view listed nothing strange on the RAM graph (although it could have dropped before I got there - late in the night and lucky to be up).

I'm no expert here - just hunches and blind guesses.  If LMS is periodically eating my RAM, could it be the above setting?  Diagnostics attached.

EDIT: Happened again as typing this.  Docker tab took a long time to load, and when it did, LMS was at 68% RAM usage, with everything else around 1%.  Newer file attached, removed old one.

unraid1-diagnostics-20181202-1135.zip

Edited by Cessquill
Further info
1 hour ago, Cessquill said:

I had an out of memory error last night at about 3.15AM (Dec 2), which required a restart of the docker system to resolve.  Looking at the syslog from 3.13am it *looks* like  LMS was taking up a lot of memory and killed off.  The dashboard registered at 100% RAM use, but the docker tab, advanced view listed nothing strange on the RAM graph (although it could have dropped before I got there - late in the night and lucky to be up).

I'm no expert here - just hunches and blind guesses.  If LMS is periodically eating my RAM, could it be the above setting?  Diagnostics attached.

EDIT: Happened again as typing this.  Docker tab took a long time to load, and when it did, LMS was at 68% RAM usage, with everything else around 1%.  Newer file attached, removed old one.

unraid1-diagnostics-20181202-1135.zip

You are using a lot of the Docker image.  I would check the Docker image and then force update the LMS Docker.

4 hours ago, dlandon said:

You are using a lot of the Docker image.  I would check the Docker image and then force update the LMS Docker.

Thanks.  I'm increasing the size of my docker image (if that's what you meant?) and have force updated LMS.  Also turned on docker log rotation.  It happened at least once more today, with LMS using RAM.  I'll see how I get on.

17 minutes ago, Cessquill said:

Thanks.  I'm increasing the size of my docker image (if that's what you meant?) and have force updated LMS.  Also turned on docker log rotation.  It happened at least once more today, with LMS using RAM.  I'll see how I get on.

Look at the server and scan log for anything that could help.  Rescan media.

Thanks again.  Just started the container and rescanned the library.  Both server and scanner logs finished 7 minutes ago, but the container is  increasing its RAM by 1% every couple of seconds.  Had to stop the container when it got to 70%, as other dockers were being used.  Will look into the logs shortly - nothing looked major at first glance, but I'll look in more detail when I next spark it up.

1 hour ago, Cessquill said:

I'm increasing the size of my docker image

That isn't the solution. The only thing that can do is make it take longer to fill up. Filling docker image or memory is typically a sign of a misconfigured docker.

I have been using this docker for a very long time and don't have these problems.

3 minutes ago, trurl said:

That isn't the solution. The only thing that can do is make it take longer to fill up. Filling docker image or memory is typically a sign of a misconfigured docker.

I have been using this docker for a very long time and don't have these problems.

Cheers, yes - appreciate that.  Was going to increase it at next boot anyway as it was just running quite full under normal circumstances.

I've had this installed for a long while too, which is why I'm confused.  The only thing I've changed is adding more media.  And repointing my playlists to Appdata today when I realised my old folder was full of broken playlists).  It might need a rebuild, as it was originally ported from a Windows Home Server when it was first available as a docker on Unraid, then patched when the BBC changed their streaming system, then ported to this version.  Hmm.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

I have also been using this Docker for a long time.  No problems at all like this.

If it were me, I would remove the Docker, delete the appdata/LogitechMediaServer folder and start over.  Once it was acting normally, I would add your media and keep an eye on it.

EDIT: Be sure to use the template defaults.

Edited by dlandon
6 minutes ago, Cessquill said:

One of the players is a radio, so it's encouragement to get on with it - hate waking up to the stock alarm song!

This is actually the only player I have and the only reason I use this docker. I have other ways of networking my music around the house.

20 minutes ago, Cessquill said:

Yep, I'll do that.  One of the players is a radio, so it's encouragement to get on with it - hate waking up to the stock alarm song!

Just noticed my artwork.db file in cache folder is 10.9GB - is that normal?  It's not a huge library (quite large - about 19,000 tracks).

That seems to be excessive.  Mine is 144,200k and I have about 5,400 tracks.  That's why I suggested starting over.  There is something about your media that is consuming a lot of memory.

Edited by dlandon

Hey, dlandon... Not sure if this is something on your end, though from an abundance of caution I figure I should put the word out... I think my installation of your docker image got hacked. I don't know if it's in the docker files, or if it happened only to me and somehow "stuck" on my LMS docker.

Here's what happened: I forced a reboot of my unraid this evening because I couldn't access LMS. Then, when I could access it again, I had a very limited number of music files visible, and saw an unknown "player" in the LMS web interface. This player had the name "ChineseProdigy Gotcha!!"

At first thinking this might be a hack into my LMS from the public internet, I shut down the docker, changed the docker's IP address, and restarted. But I ended up with the same issue immediately upon restart.

I then shut down the docker completely and installed snoopy86's LMS docker into a new config directory, and this did not seem to have the issue.

I then deleted snoopy86's image, and reinstalled the dlandon image, using a new config directory. The new image was taking a very long time to start up, and when I looked at the log, there was a whole set of installation routines running that made me nervous, so I shut it all down. For now I'm using snoopy86, but would prefer to go back to yours if you are keeping it up to date.

Note I also googled and searched the LMS forums, but couldn't find anything that included ChineseProdigy or anything reasonably similar involving LMS.

Attached is a screen capture of the portion of my LMS web GUI from before I deleted the docker. It has three things that I boxed in red: the "hack" player, an "amateur repeater system" playlist that I don't recognize, and the reported total size of my music library -- the simple comparison would be that the GUI is showing 10 albums and 11 songs, vs. my actual which is around 1200 albums and 18k songs. I don't want to post my log file in a public forum, but am happy to get it to you another way, if helpful.

LMS GUI Issues.jpg

4 hours ago, seanwalter said:

Hey, dlandon... Not sure if this is something on your end, though from an abundance of caution I figure I should put the word out... I think my installation of your docker image got hacked. I don't know if it's in the docker files, or if it happened only to me and somehow "stuck" on my LMS docker.

Here's what happened: I forced a reboot of my unraid this evening because I couldn't access LMS. Then, when I could access it again, I had a very limited number of music files visible, and saw an unknown "player" in the LMS web interface. This player had the name "ChineseProdigy Gotcha!!"

At first thinking this might be a hack into my LMS from the public internet, I shut down the docker, changed the docker's IP address, and restarted. But I ended up with the same issue immediately upon restart.

I then shut down the docker completely and installed snoopy86's LMS docker into a new config directory, and this did not seem to have the issue.

I then deleted snoopy86's image, and reinstalled the dlandon image, using a new config directory. The new image was taking a very long time to start up, and when I looked at the log, there was a whole set of installation routines running that made me nervous, so I shut it all down. For now I'm using snoopy86, but would prefer to go back to yours if you are keeping it up to date.

Note I also googled and searched the LMS forums, but couldn't find anything that included ChineseProdigy or anything reasonably similar involving LMS.

Attached is a screen capture of the portion of my LMS web GUI from before I deleted the docker. It has three things that I boxed in red: the "hack" player, an "amateur repeater system" playlist that I don't recognize, and the reported total size of my music library -- the simple comparison would be that the GUI is showing 10 albums and 11 songs, vs. my actual which is around 1200 albums and 18k songs. I don't want to post my log file in a public forum, but am happy to get it to you another way, if helpful.

LMS GUI Issues.jpg

Is LMS or any part of your server exposed to the internet?

8 hours ago, seanwalter said:

Not sure if this is something on your end, though from an abundance of caution I figure I should put the word out... I think my installation of your docker image got hacked. I don't know if it's in the docker files, or if it happened only to me and somehow "stuck" on my LMS docker.

I am using this docker and don't have these 'hacks'. Possibly you are being hacked in additional ways you are unaware of.

3 hours ago, dlandon said:

Is LMS or any part of your server exposed to the internet?

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete diagnostics zip to your next post.

Thanks again, dlandon and trurl. Diagnostics file attached. I also ran some additional tests and saw I no longer need the Plex port forward on my router, so all that's left in terms of open ports is LetsEncrypt, which points to a different IP address than the unRAID server or other dockers. Note that the LMS and Plex ports went to IP addresses that were specific to each of those dockers as well.

home-raid-diagnostics-20181203-2245.zip

4 hours ago, seanwalter said:

Thanks again, dlandon and trurl. Diagnostics file attached. I also ran some additional tests and saw I no longer need the Plex port forward on my router, so all that's left in terms of open ports is LetsEncrypt, which points to a different IP address than the unRAID server or other dockers. Note that the LMS and Plex ports went to IP addresses that were specific to each of those dockers as well.

home-raid-diagnostics-20181203-2245.zip

You're Docker image is set to 125GB.  That's way too much!  You are actually using only 8.2GB.  Delete the Docker image and create a new one of a more appropriate size and then re-add your Dockers.  I would suggest 10 to 12 GB depending on if you are going to be adding more Dockers.