[support] dlandon - Logitech Media Server

4 hours ago, joebot said:

FWIW, I've confirmed that the Radios are gracefully disconnecting from my network, at least from my AP's point of view.  It's like they are happy and cheerfully play music and connect to the server, and then they just decide that they don't like it anymore and leave.

Are they connected wired or wifi?

4 hours ago, joebot said:

FWIW, I've confirmed that the Radios are gracefully disconnecting from my network, at least from my AP's point of view.  It's like they are happy and cheerfully play music and connect to the server, and then they just decide that they don't like it anymore and leave.

My radio seems OK, although TBH it's an alarm clock that I tend to turn off fairly quickly at the moment.  I'll try and leave it on in the morning and see how it goes here.

2 hours ago, dlandon said:

Are they connected wired or wifi?

Both radios are on WIFI.  I tried putting one on Ethernet and it worked just fine (for many days without a problem). 

1 hour ago, Cessquill said:

My radio seems OK, although TBH it's an alarm clock that I tend to turn off fairly quickly at the moment.  I'll try and leave it on in the morning and see how it goes here.

Turning my radio off and then back on again is the only way to get it to reconnect.  After reconnecting, I can get it to play through about half an album's worth of music before the wifi icon turns red and it disconnects.  We use one of the radios as a white noise machine for our baby (via the sound effects app).  If I power cycle the radio, I can connect to the server long enough for it to let us play the white noise.  It plays the noise all the way through the night, but it disconnects at some point.  In the morning, I have to power cycle the radio to reconnect for nap time white noise.  I think the sound effect app works differently than streaming music, so that's why it plays all night.  Not sure if that helps, but I figure that i'd mention it just in case...

Im pretty sure this started with an update to the container about two months ago. I have no idea what changed in the update.

15 minutes ago, joebot said:

Both radios are on WIFI.  I tried putting one on Ethernet and it worked just fine (for many days without a problem). 

This should tell you something.

16 minutes ago, joebot said:

Im pretty sure this started with an update to the container about two months ago. I have no idea what changed in the update.

Wifi dropping wouldn't have anything to do with LMS.  I'd check your router.  Maybe it needs an update?

6 hours ago, joebot said:

Nothing else on my network has an issue like this.  I have a lot of wifi and ethernet gadgets that are connected 24/7.  Im using a ubiquity unifi AP with a ubiquity router.

My money is on the AP blocking multicast. I *think* I had to fiddle with a setting on my Ubiquiti AP to have my Squeezeboxes work properly (no radios, just a boom and a SB3 on wifi). Do you have the Unifi Controller Docker (or similar) to take a look at your settings?

If it's any help, here's a screenshot of mine (from Settings > WiFi > [SSID] > Edit > Advanced):

UbiquitiAP.png

13 minutes ago, joebot said:

Only thing that seems interesting is that the tooltip seems to indicate that I should keep the multicast and broadband filtering option disabled:

image.png.8677e35fcad9fac4b72c5575db20de7b.png

Looks like you're on a different version to me (I'm on 6.0.22), but my memory now recollects that that is _exactly_ the option that I had to allow (as in, allowing multicasting by un-checking that option) to get my Squeezebox to work properly: they rely on multicasting to work. I think the warning about proper controls is really only problematic in corporate networks where traffic is plentiful. I've had no problems.

So, if multicasting was already allowed on your network, then my advice isn't related to your problem.

Edited by jademonkee
6 hours ago, jademonkee said:

So, if multicasting was already allowed on your network, then my advice isn't related to your problem.

i just noticed that the device doesn't disconnect from the network. It still has an IP and it reports the server's address.  However, in the diagnostics menu, it says that it can't connect or ping the servers ports (9000 and the other one).  I know that the ports are setup right in the docker and are visible on the network because all my other players can connect just fine.  Keep in mind that my SB touch devices are also on wifi and they connect and play just fine, too - so it's not a problem with the AP.  It's something specific to the SB radios and their ability to access the ports.

also, this is what my AP reports when the radio stops working:

image.png.c10e6ee8aefaaf0c6a043ed44422a5cb.png

Also my AP is on the LTS branch of the ubiquity thingy, hence the older version.

Edited by joebot
13 hours ago, joebot said:

i just noticed that the device doesn't disconnect from the network. It still has an IP and it reports the server's address.  However, in the diagnostics menu, it says that it can't connect or ping the servers ports (9000 and the other one).  I know that the ports are setup right in the docker and are visible on the network because all my other players can connect just fine.  Keep in mind that my SB touch devices are also on wifi and they connect and play just fine, too - so it's not a problem with the AP.  It's something specific to the SB radios and their ability to access the ports.

also, this is what my AP reports when the radio stops working:

image.png.c10e6ee8aefaaf0c6a043ed44422a5cb.png

Also my AP is on the LTS branch of the ubiquity thingy, hence the older version.

Super weird that other SB devices are working. Maybe try a xlinix reset/factory reset of the radios?

I can't find how to do it for radios, but this is for SB3s and may be similar: https://joes-tech-blog.blogspot.com/2018/11/logitech-slimdevices-squeezebox-classic.html

Also: do you use mysqueezebox.com (or whatever the online thing is)? I've disabled mine. May be worth seeing if that's causing any problems, too.

Edited by jademonkee

Left my radio on this morning when the alarm went off to test.  It turned off after about a minute, then shortly after turned on the default alarm clock music.

I'm also using a Unifi AP, but with a pfSense router.

The web browser says it's still connected, it typically gets about 88% signal, and my other player - a duet - plays for most of the day without problems (also on wifi), only cutting out when the internet goes weird.  Both players are playing the BBC iPlayer plugin.

Admittedly, I had only just woken up and didn't try anything else. I'll investigate further later with local media and tune-in.

7 hours ago, jademonkee said:

Also: do you use mysqueezebox.com (or whatever the online thing is)? I've disabled mine. May be worth seeing if that's causing any problems, too.

no, not in a long time.  I'll have to check if my credentials are in the server.  the radios don't want to connect to that either, but I haven't really tried to connect to it.  I'll look into disabling it and I'll also try that reset you mentioned.

Thanks guys!!

My scanner is taking a long time to scan, even with "Look for new media and files" rather than "clear & rescan"

I think it was a bug introduced in a recent build. The bug has been fixed as of 25th Sept, as per: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?112920-Scan-taking-hours-instead-of-minutes-on-recent-nightlies/page7

@dlandoncan you update the build included in the Docker? 

Many thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @dlandon,

i want to passthrough an audio device to use the wavein plugin. My device is located at /dev/bus/usb/002/004. However, with the extra prarameter—device=/dev/bus/.../:/dev/bus/002/004 the device doesn‘t show in in the docker... any advice on how to achive this?

BTW. the device is a „Behringer UFO202“ to capture audio to send my vinyls around my house.

Fot the wavein plugin it needs to be added as favorite with something like „wavin:plughw:1“ bit therefore one has to use „arecord -l“ to identify the correct device.

Any help is very much appreciated!!

Edited by Banuseka
additional info added
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello, I'm a bit new to this so apologies if someone has already come across this. I've migrated LMS from a Windows server to this. On my Windows server I had UPNP Bridge working but I cannot get to find any devices on my network or force it to generate a config file. It should auto find players and create a config xml in this location /mnt/user/appdata/LogitechMediaServer/prefs

Could this be my issue. This is the location the config is trying to place the file /config/prefs

Does that exist in this setup? I don't seem to be able to find that path.

Does anyone else use UPNP Bridge that has it working in this setup?

Edited by badsoden
I can't create another post at the moment!
4 hours ago, blurp76 said:

Would you consider adding an ffmpeg executable in the /bin folder of the container? Otherwise .wma cannot be played. I tried putting it by hand and it works good.

My music is all .wma and plays fine on my Transporter.  How are you playing the music?

50 minutes ago, rhodo said:

Noobie question...

I install LMS just fine, but the WebUI reports no player is found. Is there additional software that needs to be installed on the Unraid server or a player that needs to be present on the client? Thanks!

LogitechMediaServer is just a server. You need a client to play the served media. There were a number of client devices available back when Logitech supported this but you would probably have to go to eBay to find anything like that now. It is also possible to install client software on other devices such as PCs or even make a client device with rasPi, for example. Google "slimserver" or "squeezebox"

7 minutes ago, trurl said:

LogitechMediaServer is just a server. You need a client to play the served media. There were a number of client devices available back when Logitech supported this but you would probably have to go to eBay to find anything like that now. It is also possible to install client software on other devices such as PCs or even make a client device with rasPi, for example. Google "slimserver" or "squeezebox"

make ist easy...

max2play, volumio, picoreplayer, squeezelite I guess those are the most used ones out there.

best, Banu

Edited by Banuseka