Xeoma - Surveillance Software

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I'm attempting to get the Xeoma docker running but it keeps exiting right after pressing start. To install it I used the "Community Applications" plugin and setup the path to a folder called "security" under my shares.

/archive <--> /mnt/user/security/archive/

/config <--> /mnt/user/appdata/Xeoma

The logs indicate that it can't find a config file xeoma.conf.

*** Running /etc/my_init.d/00_regen_ssh_host_keys.sh...
*** Running /etc/my_init.d/40_install_xeoma.sh...
grep: /config/xeoma.conf: No such file or directory
/etc/my_init.d/40_install_xeoma.sh: line 131: /config/xeoma.conf: No such file or directory
*** /etc/my_init.d/40_install_xeoma.sh failed with status 1

*** Killing all processes...

I must admit I'm very green to using Unraid and dockers so sorry if I missed something silly.

Many Thanks,

Jos

• 2 weeks later...

I can't get this docker to start. I get the following error

*** Killing all processes...
/etc/my_init.d/40_install_xeoma.sh: line 131: /config/xeoma.conf: No such file or directory

Same here....

On 7/6/2017 at 0:09 PM, dcshoes23 said:

Just create a file called "xeoma.conf" in your config folder with the following in it:

Yeah, sorry. There was a bug in the creation of the default config file that is created during the first run. It will be fixed in the version I'm releasing later today.

Note that you also need a line like:

VERSION='latest'

48 minutes ago, tucansam said:

I realize this probably isn't the proper thread for asking this, so forgive me... I just went to Xeoma's website, and its more costly than Blue Iris, plus I have to *buy* updates after a period of time?  OK....

Is it really better than Blue Iris?

I think it depends on your set up.  I only purchased a 4 camera license, so my cost wasn't much different from blue iris, though I do own both.  However; blue iris in a VM was less than ideal.  I liked it but I literraly air at 1% cpu usage with Xeoma in idle.  I also have a huge decrease in ram utilization.  In other words, for my specific scenario, it just works better.

I'm planning to pick up my 4th camera this week, then I'll have to decide what I want to do about licensing.  The updates are included for 1-3 years depending what you purchase.  Blue iris also charged for one of it's major updates if I remember correctly a few versions back.

So to answer your question, it's better at some things than Blue iris.  Specifically resource management in a Linux system, some pretty nice workflow set ups, and I get less false alarms now.  Blue iris is better at other things.  

I got 4 licenses of standard for free for writing a blog entry for them.  I will probably pay for an additional 2 or 4 when we move.  The nice thing is whatever you buy the license is infinite.  You only pay more if you want updates past a year.  Plus if you are doing it on unraid it is a no brainer.  I had way too many issues on the VM vs the native linux docker.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks @coppit for updating this quick and responding to my issues on github promptly. Runs even better via a docker on unraid then it did in Ubuntu (headless) on the same machine.

@tucansam I prefer Xeoma because of the Linux support. Just runs awesome. I'm running 6 cameras right now with a license for 8 (plan on adding more in the future). They allow you to stack licenses. So you can buy a 4 and a 2 camera license and activate both to get 6 cameras. The support is pretty decent as well, usually responding within 1-2 business days. Have helped me out with a couple issues.

Their module system is pretty cool. I was able to setup a camera to trigger using my PIR motion sensors (via HTTP Switch module) or the motion sensing built into Xeoma and mark them in the archive accordingly (by chaining the modules together). Then I can filter the archive based on what motion sensor was triggered (front door, driveway, living room, etc) which makes it really quick to find something.

Edited by Skylord123
Added extra info

Hello,

First of all thank you very much for this docker. it works great and made my life super easy.

The only thing that is a bit weird is that those lines keeps showing in my unraid sys log:

Jul 28 08:53:28 ECSERVER shfs/user: err: shfs_rmdir: rmdir: /mnt/disk1/CAMERAS/Records/Enzo-Creation-Entrance/2017-07-22 (39) Directory not empty
Jul 28 08:53:28 ECSERVER shfs/user: err: shfs_rmdir: rmdir: /mnt/disk1/CAMERAS/Records/Enzo-Creation-Entrance/2017-07-23 (39) Directory not empty
Jul 28 08:53:28 ECSERVER shfs/user: err: shfs_rmdir: rmdir: /mnt/disk1/CAMERAS/Records/Enzo-Creation-Entrance/2017-07-24 (39) Directory not empty
Jul 28 08:53:28 ECSERVER shfs/user: err: shfs_rmdir: rmdir: /mnt/disk1/CAMERAS/Records/Enzo-Creation-Entrance/2017-07-25 (39) Directory not empty
Jul 28 08:53:28 ECSERVER shfs/user: err: shfs_rmdir: rmdir: /mnt/disk1/CAMERAS/Records/Enzo-Creation-Entrance/2017-07-26 (39) Directory not empty

I have dozens of those and i'm not too sure if that is a big issue or not since everything else seems to be working properly.

Cheers

On 7/27/2017 at 9:59 PM, jonathansayeb said:

rmdir: /mnt/disk1/CAMERAS/Records/Enzo-Creation-Entrance/2017-07-26 (39) Directory not empty

I don't have that. My guess is that there's a dot file sitting in there from when you browsed the recordings with a computer. And when Xeoma tries to delete the dir, it can't because that file is there. Run this on your server to see if there is something in there:

ls -al /mnt/disk1/CAMERAS/Records/Enzo-Creation-Entrance/2017-07-26

If so, rm it.

Hi Coppit and thank you for your reply. I've checked for dot files (apple dstores) but there are none in the folders affected.

What I don't understand is why Xeoma docker is trying to delete these folders in the first place since they contain the records from the cameras???

I understand that it might need to remove some footages based on the archive settings "Storage time for this archive" which btw I have set to 1 week, but at the moment it's trying to delete all the records since Xeoma has been setup:

Jul 31 08:42:44 ECSERVER shfs/user: err: shfs_rmdir: rmdir: /mnt/disk1/CAMERAS/Records/Enzo-Creation-Window/2017-07-24 (39) Directory not empty
Jul 31 08:42:44 ECSERVER shfs/user: err: shfs_rmdir: rmdir: /mnt/disk1/CAMERAS/Records/Enzo-Creation-Window/2017-07-25 (39) Directory not empty
Jul 31 08:42:44 ECSERVER shfs/user: err: shfs_rmdir: rmdir: /mnt/disk1/CAMERAS/Records/Enzo-Creation-Window/2017-07-26 (39) Directory not empty
Jul 31 08:42:44 ECSERVER shfs/user: err: shfs_rmdir: rmdir: /mnt/disk1/CAMERAS/Records/Enzo-Creation-Window/2017-07-27 (39) Directory not empty
Jul 31 08:42:44 ECSERVER shfs/user: err: shfs_rmdir: rmdir: /mnt/disk1/CAMERAS/Records/Enzo-Creation-Window/2017-07-28 (39) Directory not empty
Jul 31 08:42:44 ECSERVER shfs/user: err: shfs_rmdir: rmdir: /mnt/disk1/CAMERAS/Records/Enzo-Creation-Window/2017-07-29 (39) Directory not empty
Jul 31 08:42:44 ECSERVER shfs/user: err: shfs_rmdir: rmdir: /mnt/disk1/CAMERAS/Records/Enzo-Creation-Window/2017-07-30 (39) Directory not empty
Jul 31 08:42:44 ECSERVER shfs/user: err: shfs_rmdir: rmdir: /mnt/disk1/CAMERAS/Records/Enzo-Creation-Entrance/2017-07-24 (39) Directory not empty
Jul 31 08:42:44 ECSERVER shfs/user: err: shfs_rmdir: rmdir: /mnt/disk1/CAMERAS/Records/Enzo-Creation-Entrance/2017-07-25 (39) Directory not empty
Jul 31 08:42:44 ECSERVER shfs/user: err: shfs_rmdir: rmdir: /mnt/disk1/CAMERAS/Records/Enzo-Creation-Entrance/2017-07-26 (39) Directory not empty
Jul 31 08:42:44 ECSERVER shfs/user: err: shfs_rmdir: rmdir: /mnt/disk1/CAMERAS/Records/Enzo-Creation-Entrance/2017-07-27 (39) Directory not empty
Jul 31 08:42:44 ECSERVER shfs/user: err: shfs_rmdir: rmdir: /mnt/disk1/CAMERAS/Records/Enzo-Creation-Entrance/2017-07-28 (39) Directory not empty
Jul 31 08:42:44 ECSERVER shfs/user: err: shfs_rmdir: rmdir: /mnt/disk1/CAMERAS/Records/Enzo-Creation-Entrance/2017-07-29 (39) Directory not empty
Jul 31 08:42:44 ECSERVER shfs/user: err: shfs_rmdir: rmdir: /mnt/disk1/CAMERAS/Records/Enzo-Creation-Entrance/2017-07-30 (39) Directory not empty

Please tell me what I might be doing wrong.

On 7/30/2017 at 9:45 PM, jonathansayeb said:

Please tell me what I might be doing wrong.

My guess is that Xeoma is trying to delete "older" directories. I recommend getting in touch with the Xeoma team. This is a Xeoma question, not a container question.

I know this is not a forum for Xeoma, but I am gently trolling the interwebs for a replacement for Blueiris and I stumbled on it.  A fellow posted a glowing review of Xeoma on a camera forum and got his doors blown off when they uncovered that he had been given free licenses by Xeoma for multiple (favorable) blog posts ... and neglected to disclose that little fact in the post.  Before I jump into Xeoma, whether in a docker on my unRAID (yes I do have one) or any other machine, can any of you Xeoma users that have had experience with Zoneminder or Blueiris give me a reasonably fair review/comparison of the software?

I am currently running BI on a desktop with an Intel [email protected] and 16GB RAM. It hardly uses memory (avg 4GB) but with 11 cameras it's got my CPU's constantly over 50%. I wouldn't mind running it on my unRAID and reclaiming that desktop if possible.  My unRAID is running on an [email protected] with 16GB RAM and no dockers are currently running.

Much thanks.

GS

p.s. if there is a more appropriate unRAID forum to discuss this topic please advise.

I am happy with Xeoma, being a former blue iris user.  However; I am coming from using BI in a VM.  If I had a standalone BI machine, I am not so sure I'd feel the same way.  You can see what my experience has been in prior posts.

The biggest drawback I've seen so far with Xeoma is due to the fact that I run it in docker.  The licensing works oddly, in my opinion, for video security software.  You have to have constant internet connection for the license to stay active when using a VM.  I've only had it happen twice since starting use this spring, but I've lost internet long enough to deactivate my system.  Reactivating simply takes registration again, but that's still some downtime I've experienced.

I understand the reason, but it's the only aspect that tempts me to go back to BI.  The benefits I gain from the improved system resources outweigh that so far.  

As for zoneminder; I've never gotten far enough with that to give you my 2 cents.  I have reolink cameras and had a heck of a time getting zoneminder to play nice.  I was also not a big fan of the interface.  

Other than having the opportunity to run Xeoma on a docker and consolidate my systems, the only other reason I have to dump BI is that it's running on Windows 8.  That, and I am just not getting the whole folders concept for archiving.  Otherwise it works fine.  I paid for year 1 and still get free updates in year 2.   I am not looking forward to the licensing model of Xeoma.  I think you have to pay yearly?  I have 11 cameras across several manufacturers (Panasonic, Hikvision, Foscam, NSC (rebranded Hikvision)) and they all work fine with BI but I haven't had any success with Zoneminder's most current version.  I did manage to get a Hikvision camera working with an older version of ZM on unRAID but it was consuming 25% CPU.  I haven't been able to get the same camera running on the newest version, whether on a VM on my ESXi box, or on a docker so I just shelved ZM.

Stand-alone, VM, and docker aside, if you compared BI to Xeoma apples to apples, is there anything about Xeoma that was superior to BI that would make you switch?

Thanks again for your reply.

GS

19 hours ago, Gordon Shumway said:

I know this is not a forum for Xeoma, but I am gently trolling the interwebs for a replacement for Blueiris and I stumbled on it.  A fellow posted a glowing review of Xeoma on a camera forum and got his doors blown off when they uncovered that he had been given free licenses by Xeoma for multiple (favorable) blog posts ... and neglected to disclose that little fact in the post.  Before I jump into Xeoma, whether in a docker on my unRAID (yes I do have one) or any other machine, can any of you Xeoma users that have had experience with Zoneminder or Blueiris give me a reasonably fair review/comparison of the software?

I've been using Xeoma for over 2 years now. Before that I was using iSpy on a windows machine and before that I was using Zoneminder on my Ubuntu server. 

My summaries of other camera software:
- iSpy: Great software but I hated that it didn't run on Linux and I had to have a machine with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor attached. I did use this for a while but it was not my favorite. The software is very configurable but being locked to Windows was a no-go.
- Zoneminder: It was.. okay. I honestly wouldn't use it. The interface feels very old, configuring things was far from fun, and many things were lacking. I did like that it ran on Linux and headless but I hated the web interface.

* I have used other software but these are the only ones that I have tried out for more than a day.

* Last I tried either of these was 2 years ago. 

I did a ton of searching and finally found Xeoma. At the time I already had a home server lying around for other things I was doing. The server I had was a Poweredge 1900 built in 2008 that I got from a company going out of business. I wanted to find some camera software I could run on this server to free up resources on my other devices (plus, home server should be handling this crap anyways IMO). It should be noted that when it came to buying Xeoma I try to save as much money as possible (Getting two new processors for the server I had was literally $60 for both off ebay cause it's so old) but the cost of Xeoma was totally worth it. 

About two months ago I switched from Ubuntu to Unraid on my home server and installed a bank of 5x2TB drives and a single 256GB ssd cache drive (running on the same Poweredge 1900 server). This gave me the ability to specify 200gigabytes per camera (I have 6 cameras running). Now this server I am running is an OLD beast (2008  is almost 10 years ago) and yet this server runs Unraid with Xeoma like a beast. I attached an image of my resource usage for the time I am writing this post. And that is the usage with my server running Plex, Home Assistant, MySQL server, MQTT Server, Xeoma, an Ubuntu VM (w/ 4GB memory), Crashplan w/ VNC, and a couple other apps. Note: Switching from Ubuntu to Unraid gave me a performance boost in Xeoma. Plus running Unraid gives me the ability to make more advanced setups on how I store my data (I use my SSD drive throughout the day for faster speed but then dump my recordings onto the large array at night).

One of the cool things I did with Xeoma recently was set it up to be able to use the HTTP Request Sender to send requests to a python server that then turns those HTTP Requests into MQTT messages that Home Assistant can listen for (my repo is: https://github.com/skylord123/xeoma-mqtt). This way I have it so when motion is detected on the path going up to my front door my front door light will turn on (by having two motion modules on a camera at the same time, one for recording and the other for sending events to home assistant). Saved me the expense of building a PIR Motion sensor to do the same thing (and the ability to detect during daylight unlike PIR is nice). And this way I can also set up home assistant with a switch so I can get a text message when someone is at my front door and I am in the workshop. Just one of the awesome things I have been able to do with the modules that Xeoma comes with and the ability to chain them together.

So coming from me, Xeoma is worth every penny. I've been able to do so much with it and I am only on their standard pricing plan. It just really depends on what your setup is and how you want to do things. This last year I didn't have the funds to buy the new version for a couple months but that doesn't matter because you can use all versions that were released while your license was active. So I just waited about 6 months until I got my tax return and I bought the license again and upgraded Xeoma.

Also it should be noted: Xeoma support is pretty decent. They have helped me with so many different things (even building custom updates to see if they fix my issue). So just with that I feel I am getting more than what I paid for.

If you have any questions feel free to ask them and I will help the best I can. As long as @coppit doesn't mind. We can move to another thread if necessary as well. I feel that Xeoma is underrated and would love to help others find how awesome it is.

EDIT: I am running 6 cameras at the moment. I use 4 outdoor Reolink cameras that are 2560x1440 and work awesome:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010LH48F4

server_resources.png

Edited by Skylord123
19 hours ago, hendu said:

The biggest drawback I've seen so far with Xeoma is due to the fact that I run it in docker.  The licensing works oddly, in my opinion, for video security software.  You have to have constant internet connection for the license to stay active when using a VM.  I've only had it happen twice since starting use this spring, but I've lost internet long enough to deactivate my system.  Reactivating simply takes registration again, but that's still some downtime I've experienced.

Only issue I had with Xeoma and running in a docker was when I moved from Ubuntu to Unraid. I reset the key so I could re-activate and then I also changed my network settings on the docker from bridged to host. This ended up making it so I had to re-activate the license again but I had already used my reset so I had to contact support (and this was a weekend but luckily they still responded on a saturday). 

I have had no issues with the license and my internet (and I lose internet a lot). I have my docker setup to use the hosts network. If you are having issues try switching to this network mode and resetting your key. Then check next time your internet goes out if you have issues. I also saw in the version just released 4 days ago (July 31, 2017) they have some updates that fixed the instability of virtual networks. So see if upgrading also fixes your issue. http://felenasoft.com/xeoma/en/changes/ ("Fixed frequent deactivation of licenses on virtual machines when Internet access is unstable.")

Edited by Skylord123
Correction