Xeoma - Surveillance Software

8 minutes ago, darkcyde said:

It does work....what you have to do is run the docker, then install the Xeoma desktop software, access the server via the desktop, create a camera, and then you can access the web UI.

Unfortunately tho, Xeoma is a terrible product and you get much, much more functionality with Zoneminder, its looks dated.

How is zoneminder on cpu usage? I love xeoma because it’s minimal.

9 minutes ago, darkcyde said:

Unfortunately tho, Xeoma is a terrible product and you get much, much more functionality with Zoneminder, its looks dated.

What are you trying to do in Xeoma that has led you to think it's terrible?

I've used Xeoma for years and continue to do so because the developer is responsive to emails, bugs I've brought up get patched usually in the next version, chaining modules gives you a lot of control over specific workflows, and Xeoma is relatively light on hardware resources compared to others. Combining node-red with Xeoma has given me even more flexibility to set up complex workflows that can't be done using Xeoma only.

For instance one of the workflows I have is integrating Xeoma with Slack: 

- Xeoma: During specific hours 

- Xeoma: When a motion event is triggered 

- Xeoma: Create an archive (only way to get an mp4)

- Xeoma: Send an http request to node-red

- Node-red: Get the mp4 file

- Node-red: Upload mp4 to Slack channel

(when I have time to include presence detection this workflow will be updated to query HA for presence prior to uploading to Slack)

55 minutes ago, bokchoy said:

What are you trying to do in Xeoma that has led you to think it's terrible?

I've used Xeoma for years and continue to do so because the developer is responsive to emails, bugs I've brought up get patched usually in the next version, chaining modules gives you a lot of control over specific workflows, and Xeoma is relatively light on hardware resources compared to others. Combining node-red with Xeoma has given me even more flexibility to set up complex workflows that can't be done using Xeoma only.

For instance one of the workflows I have is integrating Xeoma with Slack: 

- Xeoma: During specific hours 

- Xeoma: When a motion event is triggered 

- Xeoma: Create an archive (only way to get an mp4)

- Xeoma: Send an http request to node-red

- Node-red: Get the mp4 file

- Node-red: Upload mp4 to Slack channel

(when I have time to include presence detection this workflow will be updated to query HA for presence prior to uploading to Slack)

I couldn't even get a decent camera connection going....I admit my IP camera is a Foscam on the older side, but it wouldn't give me much control over it, like tilt and pan, etc....I had to keep dropping back to the camera UI to make adjustments.

27 minutes ago, darkcyde said:

I couldn't even get a decent camera connection going....I admit my IP camera is a Foscam on the older side, but it wouldn't give me much control over it, like tilt and pan, etc....I had to keep dropping back to the camera UI to make adjustments.

I don't have PTZ cameras, but do have a couple varifocal and zooming does work through Xeoma (just tested). Nearly all of my camera configurations like zoom, rotation, text overlay, network settings, picture quality settings, I set using my camera's UI as well. Once I set those settings I rarely change them. As for why PTZ isn't working in your case you should contact the developer and explain your issue with your specific camera model.

As for your connection issue, it might be your camera configuration module or client settings. For example, if you choose to buffer and transcode the archive on your server rather than the client your server hardware needs to be powerful enough to handle that. I opt not to buffer the stream so I get near real-time data and decode it on the computer I'm watching the stream from and use the GPU to handle the decoding so I don't get any connection issues.

Xeoma is a great choice for many people to balance resource utilization, licensing cost, features, and UX (user experience). Of course that is just my opinion, but I hope this helps others who are trying to determine which surveillance software to use. I've tried most of them and settled on Xeoma. I tried using this docker awhile ago, but just ended up using a vm for it and it's been rock solid. 

Edited by bokchoy
  • 1 month later...

I am not able to start or use Xeoma the following error is what I get: using Unraid 6.6.6

2019-04-25 04:53:45 Fetching version information from Felenasoft at http://felenasoft.com/xeoma/downloads/version2.xml
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/etc/my_init.d/40_install_xeoma.py", line 176, in <module>
version_number, download_url, alternate_download_url = resolve_download_info()
File "/etc/my_init.d/40_install_xeoma.py", line 64, in resolve_download_info
version_number, download_url, alternate_download_url = latest_version()
File "/etc/my_init.d/40_install_xeoma.py", line 44, in latest_version
download_url = e.find('{}platform[@name="linux64"]'.format(beta_string)).find('url').text
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'find'
*** /etc/my_init.d/40_install_xeoma.py failed with status 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

BTW!

I found out why this program "sometimes" from one day to other day stopped working.

Your licence is only up to a special version. So lets say u buy version 1.0 then you get till version 1.1 free, when the container updates to 1.2, your setup stops working...

So, be sure to dont use auto update on this container, or this command in "extra parameters"  (without quotes ofc) 

"--restart=unless-stopped -e VERSION='18.11.21'"

(the version should be the highest you payd for)

Since i changed this, this docker works flawlessly.

@coppit I think you should add that to the first page

Edited by nuhll
  • 3 months later...
On 8/28/2019 at 6:51 AM, nuhll said:

BTW!

I found out why this program "sometimes" from one day to other day stopped working.

Your licence is only up to a special version. So lets say u buy version 1.0 then you get till version 1.1 free, when the container updates to 1.2, your setup stops working...

So, be sure to dont use auto update on this container, or this command in "extra parameters"  (without quotes ofc) 

"--restart=unless-stopped -e VERSION='18.11.21'"

(the version should be the highest you payd for)

Since i changed this, this docker works flawlessly.

@coppit I think you should add that to the first page

I think it may even be a bit stranger than that.  You do not get a license for a specific version, you get a license for a specific date.  Any versions that are released after your license expiration will not work.  This makes it a bit tougher to 'predict' what version you can use (though, of course, sticking to the version that is current when you got your license will work, but you MAY be entitled to a later version).

So, while I'm here, I thought I'd ask this.

What is up with the timezone setting in the xeoma docker?  I noticed that my currently recording archive files are from the future, and when i connected to the container, i found that the timezone is just.. wrong.

For example:

root@Tower:~# date
Tue Dec  3 21:27:30 PST 2019

root@Tower:~# docker exec -it fbfeacf9bf2f date
Wed Dec  4 05:27:34 America 2019

Is there an environment variable for this container we can set?  Xeoma seems to work 'okay' with this, as the client seems to be aware of the issue, and translates times to the timezone the client is set to, but this has got to make schedules and such complicated (I don't use any, so not sure if it's a problem in practice).

16 minutes ago, CraziFuzzy said:

I think it may even be a bit stranger than that.  You do not get a license for a specific version, you get a license for a specific date.  Any versions that are released after your license expiration will not work.  This makes it a bit tougher to 'predict' what version you can use (though, of course, sticking to the version that is current when you got your license will work, but you MAY be entitled to a later version).

Hmm.. and actually, it looks like there may be an issue with the version fetching in the image anyway.  It is currently fetching version2.xml, which looks like they used through version 19.4.19.  They now have a version3.xml with the actual 'current' version of 9.4.22.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2019 at 10:30 PM, CraziFuzzy said:

So, while I'm here, I thought I'd ask this.

What is up with the timezone setting in the xeoma docker?  I noticed that my currently recording archive files are from the future, and when i connected to the container, i found that the timezone is just.. wrong.
Is there an environment variable for this container we can set?  Xeoma seems to work 'okay' with this, as the client seems to be aware of the issue, and translates times to the timezone the client is set to, but this has got to make schedules and such complicated (I don't use any, so not sure if it's a problem in practice).

You can set env variable "TZ" to whatever your timezone is. I am in Utah so my timezone is America/Denver. Containers will always use UTC by default and you must specify their timezone.

On 12/3/2019 at 10:43 PM, CraziFuzzy said:

Hmm.. and actually, it looks like there may be an issue with the version fetching in the image anyway.  It is currently fetching version2.xml, which looks like they used through version 19.4.19.  They now have a version3.xml with the actual 'current' version of 9.4.22.

I have not had any issues with version fetching at all. I don't know why you are having issues.

On 12/3/2019 at 10:25 PM, CraziFuzzy said:

Lots of software uses a release cycle like this and it is nothing new or complicated. All you do is go to Xeoma's change list and see what versions were released while your license was active. I have all my keys and their purchase date in Lastpass to keep it easy (as well as their expiration date) and just compare the release page to what dates I have for my licenses. Here is the Xeoma change history page they always update: https://felenasoft.com/xeoma/en/changes/

I prefer this release cycle because if they don't release updates when my license expires I just keep using the same version (latest) and not paying until they actually release a new version. This actually means you can go periods of time without having to renew your license so it actually saves you money while still having the latest version (and also gives the company incentive to keep updating their software since you only pay for upgrades outside of your license).

Edited by Skylord123
additional info

I wrote a post about using Xeoma to trigger automatic lights by using Xeoma, Node-RED, and Home Assistant:
https://skylar.tech/send-motion-events-over-mqtt-from-xeoma/

Hope some find it useful. It has been pretty handy. I did recently switch over to some PIR motion sensors in some areas and actually use my PIR sensors to trigger recording on the cameras (on top of motion detection). I may have to write another post about how to do that.

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2017 at 9:13 AM, jrdnlc said:

I can't get this docker to start. I get the following error

*** Killing all processes...
*** Running /etc/my_init.d/00_regen_ssh_host_keys.sh...
*** Running /etc/my_init.d/40_install_xeoma.sh...
grep: /config/xeoma.conf: No such file or directory
/etc/my_init.d/40_install_xeoma.sh: line 131: /config/xeoma.conf: No such file or directory
*** /etc/my_init.d/40_install_xeoma.sh failed with status 1

Hi guys - sry for bumping in waaaaay late, but I'm baffled by a seemingly identical issue to the one jrdnlc (and others) reported cf above at page 3 of this thread.

Important note: My attempted Xeoma docker install is on Synology's official docker on my Synology NAS (DS710+). As such I guess is not the ideal place to report this and if so I stand corrected. But resultwise this thread is the closest I've been able to google the resulting and persisting exit error below:

datestreamcontent

2020-01-30 23:53:11stdoutJan 30 23:53:11 Xeoma syslog-ng[12]: syslog-ng shutting down; version='3.13.2'
2020-01-30 23:53:11stdout*** Killing all processes...
2020-01-30 23:53:11stdout
2020-01-30 23:53:11stdout*** /etc/my_init.d/30_parse_config_file.sh failed with status 1
2020-01-30 23:53:11stdoutCreating config file. Please do not forget to edit it to specify your settings!
2020-01-30 23:53:11stdout*** Running /etc/my_init.d/30_parse_config_file.sh...
2020-01-30 23:53:10stdoutJan 30 23:53:10 Xeoma syslog-ng[12]: syslog-ng starting up; version='3.13.2'
2020-01-30 23:53:10stdout*** Running /etc/my_init.d/10_syslog-ng.init...
2020-01-30 23:53:10stdout*** Running /etc/my_init.d/00_regen_ssh_host_keys.sh...

I've first created and specified a subfolder named "Xeoma" in the docker folder auto- created when installing the Synology docker app as the path for creating folders + config.conf file - the command I use is:

docker run -d --name=Xeoma -p 8090:8090 -p 10090:10090 -v /volume1/docker/Xeoma:/config -v /volume1/docker/Xeoma:/archive coppit/xeoma

No luck (cf. error above). 

So I deleted the Xeoma container to start over.

As a suggested solution I then tried to setup the config file manually. Created a /config + an /archive subfolder in the docker main folder and corrected the above command pathways accordingly. I then created the "config.conf" file containing PASSWORD = mypassword + VERSION = latest and put the file in the /config folder.

I the rerun the altered Xeoma setup command, but starting the container I get the exact same error above.

Tried removing and rerunning the Xeoma docker command several times. Can't figure it out tbh.

There seems to be a log error variation ("30_parse (...)" in my log vs "40_parse (...) in the logs of others here -  and it seems the updates resolved the issues others had. 

Was hoping @coppit maybe has a pointer or an idea of where to go from here. I'm at a loss and not able to run Xeoma which really is a bummer.

So please bear over with me if I'm barking up the wrong tree by posting here. Any help would surely be very much appreciated!! 🤔

• 4 months later...

Hello - frustrated with Shinobi I thought i'd check out this container.  Brand new install on unraid 6.8.3 however container never launches.

*** Running /etc/my_init.d/00_regen_ssh_host_keys.sh...
*** Running /etc/my_init.d/10_syslog-ng.init...
Jun 12 01:28:25 650117497b87 syslog-ng[13]: syslog-ng starting up; version='3.13.2'
*** Running /etc/my_init.d/30_parse_config_file.sh...
Creating config file. Please do not forget to edit it to specify your settings!
*** /etc/my_init.d/30_parse_config_file.sh failed with status 1

*** Killing all processes...
Jun 12 01:28:25 650117497b87 syslog-ng[13]: syslog-ng shutting down; version='3.13.2'

• 4 months later...

Hi guys. I had Xoema running on a spare machine I had and it has died so looking at adding it via this docker to Unraid. However in my old setup I was using a MQTT client to pass motion detection to my home assistant install. Not being a docker expert, how can I had Mosquito (or other suggestions) to this docker so I can make it work

12 hours ago, secs said:

Hi guys. I had Xoema running on a spare machine I had and it has died so looking at adding it via this docker to Unraid. However in my old setup I was using a MQTT client to pass motion detection to my home assistant install. Not being a docker expert, how can I had Mosquito (or other suggestions) to this docker so I can make it work

You might go with a networked trigger from in xeoma instead of running a local command.  I think it's call HTTP Request sender, sending requests to HA's http sensor.

My xeoma docker (I'm using https://hub.docker.com/r/coppit/xeoma/from coppit) only sends telegram messages to me when motion is detected.

As @CraziFuzzy said xeomas HTTP Request sender can also send requests to HA's http sensor.

The other way around my home assistant starts and stops the the surveillancy with a http switch that breaks the xeoma curcuit. This is done manually by a switch in HA and automatically at night and when I'm away (a curl command). When I'm away and a door is opened the recording starts also.