unRAID drops all network connection

Hi,
A few days ago I suddenly lost all network connection (including Internett) in my apartment. After spending several hours with both my ASUS router (and calling ISP support :)), I realised the problem was in my office room where the unRAID server is located. When disconnecting the Ethernet cable connected to unRADI, everything else just came back online! 

But even so, I could not get back control over my unraid server. I connected it to a monitor, no errors or anything, shows the standard non-gui screen. Connected a keyboard to it, but no dice. Could not use it. So I had to do a restart (it hurts I know). It came up without issues, I was on v6.2.1 so I updated to 6.3.3 in case there are some issues there. Also took a parity check, all ok. 

Now, two days later, the same damn thing happened. :( I have no clue what is going on here. Is there some way I can get back the control of my unraid server without doing a hard reset? 

And is there a way to later find out what the heck is causing this?

Thanks in advance.

These problems are difficult to troubleshoot.  You might want to open the case and see how much dust and dirt on the CPU cooler fins, fans and intake vents.  Clean if necessary.  Check that all of the fans are running.

Then install the 'Fix Common Problems' plugin.  Goto its settings and turn on its 'Troubleshooting Mode'.  After the crash occurs, upload the last diagnostics file and the last log file from the 'logs' directory.  

7 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

These problems are difficult to troubleshoot.  You might want to open the case and see how much dust and dirt on the CPU cooler fins, fans and intake vents.  Clean if necessary.  Check that all of the fans are running.

Then install the 'Fix Common Problems' plugin.  Goto its settings and turn on its 'Troubleshooting Mode'.  After the crash occurs, upload the last diagnostics file and the last log file from the 'logs' directory.  

Thanks for the tips regarding the "Troubleshooting Mode" did not know it had that feature. Turned it on now. 
My setup is just year and a half old. All new components, with a nice Corsair case, all disks are running at a 30-34 degrees celsius temperature. All fans working fine. So there is very little to no dust there. :)

Did not have one issue with it since day one. This is the first time it started to behave badly. 

@bonienl One ethernet cable only. 

Edited by Maniac
  • 2 years later...

did you ever fix this?

I have the same exact problem.  I thought it was my router, but as soon as I unplugged the server, all other ethernet connections started working again.  (Wireless devices seem to be unaffected).

I've had the server on for about 20 days during trial, and haven't had any issues like this before.  So just wondering what you did to get it working again.

2 hours ago, nktm85 said:

thought it was my router, but as soon as I unplugged the server, all other ethernet connections started working again. 

Try a different cable.  Bad cables to one device *can* take down an entire network.  (And also check for an IP conflict)

Edited by Squid
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I have also encountered this problem. My operating system of unraid is 6.11.5. Sometimes it will cause all networks to be disconnected until I unplug the network cable. Does anyone know what this is, or does anyone solve it? Now I have openwrt installed on my unraid, and I don't know whether this is the cause

• 7 months later...

This just happened to me. It's been happening on and off for a while now, but it got particularly bad today and happened twice in 30 minutes (the most recent time was about 15 minutes ago). I initially didn't think it was the unraid server, since this issue is so ephemeral, but now I'm fairly confident that it is due to the circumstances under which it happens as well as reading about this happening to other people in this thread.

I collected my diagnostics after it happened today:   

diagnostics.zip

Edited by Jeffrey Meng

There are some unexplainable events in your log which prevents nfs to start.

You should remove the packages from the folder /extra and restart the server without them installed and test again running in safe mode.

In particular "llfuse-1.4.2-x86_64-1_SBo_nerdtools.txz" is suspicious (this one is no longer developed). Why is this installed?

22 hours ago, bonienl said:

There are some unexplainable events in your log which prevents nfs to start.

You should remove the packages from the folder /extra and restart the server without them installed and test again running in safe mode.

In particular "llfuse-1.4.2-x86_64-1_SBo_nerdtools.txz" is suspicious (this one is no longer developed). Why is this installed?

Do you think that whatever prevented NFS from starting is the cause of the connection drops?

I don't have an easy way of testing this since the connection drops happen randomly and very infrequently, and I don't think it's feasible for me to run it in safe mode indefinitely.

I installed llfuse (through the nerdtools plugin) because it was a dependency for borgbackup, which I installed since I use it for some of my backups.