[Solved] Slow or unresponsive GUI - Deaktivate your Avast Firewall!!!

I had my unRaid Box running for months without any obvious problems. Shares worked, Dockers worked, VMs worked but my plexserver needed an update. So yesterday i tried to login to the GUI, but the GUI didn't load or loaded extremely slow and than got stuck. I tried it several times but never got far, the first page "main" would load sometimes but switching to Dockers ended in a freeze. There i realized that this Problem had also occurred the first time in November or December 2016 after updating unRaid, but it disappeared after a dirty reboot and the following rebuild of the array. Okay now i'll write down what i tried to solve this without any noticeable success and i hope you guys can help me!!

- I'm using this usbdrive - Kingston DataTraveler Micro DTMCK 16 GB

- I also tried a different usbdrive - Kingston DataTraveler DTIG4 16 GB

- Changed the router from a Asus RT-AC66U to a new Linksys WRT1900ACS

- I'm using Firefox 52 as browser for remote GUI

- I'm using Kitty(putty) for Telnet/SSH

- tried unRaid 6.2.4 nas-6.2.4-diagnostics-20170419-0932.zip

- tried unRaid 6.3.2 nas-6.3.2-diagnostics-20170419-1024.zip

- tried unRaid 6.3.3 nas-6.3.3-diagnostics-20170419-1621.zip

- deactivated and deleted serverio-Plexserver Docker

- deactivated and deleted binhex-Teamspeakserver Docker

- deactivated Win7pro VM

- unplugged usb UPS

- installed and run "Fix Common Problems" Plugin with no significant errors beside installing CA and activating autoupdates

The System (version 6.3.2) had updated over the GUI to version 6.3.3 now and I'm waiting for "main" to load so i can hit the "reboot" button. I know i could use the local command "powerdown" and it would work immediately, but normally the system has no display or even a keyboard, so i need the GUI to work! So after the reboot the only warning is the missing UPS and i was able to get from "Main" to "Tools" without a problem but after hitting "Diagnostics" the connection timed out. I waited 5 Minutes now, GUI in firefox is not responding at all, the SMB shares cannot be reached,no reaction true telnet/ssh, but the local command line is still responding and my only wait to shutdown the system... The last thing i could think of is backup all data and reinstall/rebuild everything completely. Did nobody know what could be wrong and hot i can fix it?

Edited by derMeister
add 6.3.3 diagnostics

Interesting, i just setup a clean installation of 6.3.3, at the first Page i tried to install my basic.key and timeout... That would match your assumption... I prior already changed the Router from a Asus Tomato build to a Linksys OpenWRT build, shouldn't this change the hole network setup? Would you mind telling me what settings seemed unusual to you!?

What stuck out to me was that the inet assignments to br0   and eht0  in the ifconfig.txt file (in the system folder) as I thought that they would be reversed with eth0 being assigned an IP address pointing to your router.

Second thing was was the differences between your network.cfg file (in the config folder) and mine.  I have listed mine before so you can see what I mean.

# Generated settings:
USE_DHCP="no"
IPADDR="192.168.1.242"
NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
GATEWAY="192.168.1.1"
DHCP_KEEPRESOLV="no"
DNS_SERVER1="208.67.222.222"
DNS_SERVER2="208.67.220.220"
DNS_SERVER3=""

I know that setting up servers with Dockers and VM's apparently present a lot more choices that can/have to be made when configuring NIC(s) but with my simple setups I have never seen what they are.  That is why I asked if someone more familiar would have a look to see if your system has been setup properly. 

i tried the following settings on a completely formatted and fresh install of unRaid 6.3.3

# Generated network settings
USE_DHCP="no"
IPADDR="10.2.10.101"
NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
GATEWAY="10.2.10.1"
DHCP_KEEPRESOLV="no"
DNS_SERVER1="208.67.222.222"
DNS_SERVER2="208.67.220.220"
BONDING="no"
BRIDGING="yes"

Still the GUI loads one time and then doesn't respond anymore. I run memtest for 6 Hours with 3 passes and 0 errors. I switched the network-cable and router ports. Still no success unRaids remote GUI always loads the first time i open the browser and then freezes ...

------------------------------

I put my old unRaid 6.3.1 installation back on my stick. Now My Plexserver is running, my Teamspeakserver is running, my Windows7VM is running and i can manage the GUI from the local Hardware. Only the problem with the remote GUI still is there. How could you explain this? If there is a configuration Problem, nothing shut work, but its only the GUI and only the GUI from a remote browser. This has to be a bug right, after all the other people complaining about the unresponsive GUI....!?

Edited by derMeister
Rollback, now everthing runs except remote GUI!?
2 hours ago, derMeister said:

I put my old unRaid 6.3.1 installation back on my stick. Now My Plexserver is running, my Teamspeakserver is running, my Windows7VM is running and i can manage the GUI from the local Hardware. Only the problem with the remote GUI still is there. How could you explain this? If there is a configuration Problem, nothing shut work, but its only the GUI and only the GUI from a remote browser. This has to be a bug right, after all the other people complaining about the unresponsive GUI....!?

I am not sure what is going on.  One thing that might help would be a diagnostics file from that fresh install of 6.3.3.

IF you have a monitor and keyboard installed on your server, you might try the boot option with the GUI mode and see if the GUI is operation on that monitor.  

Try running the htop  from the command line and see if there are any processes that are consuming all of the CPU cycles.  Also check in that display that   emhttp   process is running.  ( emhttp should be at the end of the command line- not in the middle.  That is the process that provides the GUI.)   

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, derMeister said:

Do you have an adblocker or anti-virus program running? These are known to interfere with the GUI. Causing pages not to load or to load very slow.

• Upvote 2
16 hours ago, bonienl said:

Do you have an adblocker or anti-virus program running? These are known to interfere with the GUI. Causing pages not to load or to load very slow.

I deactivated Adblock Plus in Firefox with no noticeable improvement and i tried the same in Chrome, but the GUI still gets unresponsive. I'm running a Avast Internet Security Suite and i had problems with that AV and my VMs before. Guess what!?

I deactivated the Anti Virus and everything runs flawless!

The GUI got unresponsive because of my Avast Antivirus!

THANKS Bonienl, i love you! :x:D:$

Edited by derMeister
deleted useless stuff
  • Upvote 2

That is the solution without deactivating your Avast Firewall completely!

On 16.4.2017 at 10:32 PM, TheFullTimer said:

Avast appears to be the issue.  Quick solution for me was...
Firewall > Policies > Preferences > Turn on 'Allow all connections with Friends when in Private mode'

Then go to...
Firewall > Friends > See that the IP Address range for your router is listed
See that Avast uses a From & To range as two columns
The typical setting should be a 'From' range of 192.168.1.0 & 'To' range of 192.168.1.255

If you configured your router to use a different range you need to input it at this window.

• Upvote 2

Great Discovery!!!!       :x          I hope that the other folks who are having the same or a similar problem find that your solution will also work for them.  I love that you not only confirmed   @bomieml suspicions but also found how to fix the issue!   Also with Kudos to @TheFullTimer for his solution. 

Edited by Frank1940
Added credit to TheFullTimer.
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, TheFullTimer said:

Occasionally it does repeat the issue and stall the GUI for about a short time.  If refreshed a minute later, or a new browser session is started, it seems to work alright.

That's true, happened to me right now! But using the "deactivating avast for 10 minutes" option via the avast system tray icon immediate solves the issue and the GUI starts working again. It still works if i activate Avast again after refreshing the browser tap, so I'm not sure if a special rule inside the avast firewall would help. There for i would be interested if this only happens to Avast Internet Security (and better) with the Avast Firewall or if other Firewalls reproduce that issue to.

Lets see what Avast says about that problem! https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=201129.0

The avast forums suggested to deactivate the Port Scanning and that seamed to work and fix the problem finally!

Edited by derMeister
added Avast Forum Info
  • Upvote 1

Note: Micro Update fixing Websites blocked by Firewall Port scan detection has just been released for AVAST

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=199857.msg1388211#msg1388211

I've reactivated Port Scanning after installing the Avast update and rebooting 2 times, everything is working again...(still f*c#ing Avast, got the next problem with my SmartTV/Chromecast that disappears if i deactivate Avast Firewall)... but unRaid works again!!

Edited by derMeister