password lost

Hi, as I wrote in the title I lost my unraid password. I still do have a detailed list of my hard drives (array, cache, etc...) and how they are assigned.

I guess the only option left for me is to do a fresh install, right? Pls , let me know if I can do anything else.

Rgds.

I think there may be a FAQ for this, but there are other means.

You might be able to plug the USB drive into another computer and then bring up an editor (such as Notepad++) on the following file: 

/boot/config/shadow

On the first line you should see something such as:

root:$&$&%*1112233484847648DHD$%.:15477:0:99999:7:::

You can try changing that line to the following, essentially delete the content between the first and second semi-colons:

root::15477:0:99999:7:::

That might make the root user no longer have a password. Save the file, eject the USB Flash Drive, plug in to your unRAID server and try booting.

Edited by BRiT
  • Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, BRiT said:

I think there may be a FAQ for this, but there are other means.

You might be able to plug the USB drive into another computer and then bring up an editor (such as Notepad++) on the following file: 

/boot/config/shadow

On the first line you should see something such as:

root:$&$&%*1112233484847648DHD$%.:15477:0:99999:7:::

You can try changing that line to the following, essentially delete the content between the first and second semi-colons:

root:15477:0:99999:7:::

That might make the root user no longer have a password. Save the file, eject the USB Flash Drive, plug in to your unRAID server and try booting.

Thx Brit! That worked exactly as you described. Rgds.

• 1 year later...

Thanks Brit

I just had this problem as well -- mis-placed root user password after I had changed it.

The method Brit described above does work, but I did need to leave two semicolons after root (vice one), and the value between the 2nd and 3rd semicolons was different (so I left it as it was).

root::17810:0:99999:7:::

Hope this helps

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I misplaced my root password and tried these steps, but still can't login from the web GUI:

I get this error when attempting to login with a password for root whether I delete those three files, or edit the shadow file:

"Warning: file(/etc/nginx/htpasswd): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/local/emhttp/login.php on line 85

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/emhttp/login.php on line 85"

Attemtpting to log into UNRAID via root without a password prompts me to enter a password.

I attempted to access UNRAID locally via a monitor, KB and mouse plugged into, but I don't get video because I believe I'm running a beta BIOS for my Asrock board that had some issue with quicksync and the onboard VGA being used at the same time.

Any suggestions for getting back into my UNRAID server?

Edited by realdiel

**SOLVED**

A friend suggested I remove the "/login" URL portion I normally use to log into my UNRAID server instead of "xxx.xxx.x.x/login" and it worked without a password. Got into the web GUI, set a root password, tried the login URL again with the new password and all is well now. 😁

Edited by realdiel