Copy disk share to user share

So I've read about the infamous user share copy bug where everything gets truncated to 0's.

I have a 1x3tb disk share filled to the brim with about 2.7tb of data.

I want to add 2x 1TB, 1x 1.5TB, and 1x 2TB drives, these will be user shares. The directories will be labeled the same, so a simple rsync would be fine - but from my understanding, the shares will not be divided equally, and I would have to transfer the files to each disk1/share1 disk2/share1 disk3/share1 folder manually.

What would be the best way to transfer the files from the disk share to user shares?

Edited by manifest3r

Your question doesn't parse in the context of adding drives.

Are you asking about how to rebalance data to the new drives? If so, why? There is no benefit to moving the data, just allow the new drives to fill naturally with new material.

A disk share is the contents of a single disk, a user share is just the root folders on all the disks, with each unique root folder being a new user share. The reason you can lose data copying between user and disk shares is that disk and user shares are the SAME files, just referenced by different paths.

By what path are you accessing your data now?

You can do it like this:

New config - assign all new smaller disks except the 3TB as parity, leave parity unassigned

Mount parity with the UD plugin (or in the cache slot)

Rsync or use your favorite tool to copy everything from UD disk to array

When done assign 3tb as parity and start array to begin parity sync

33 minutes ago, manifest3r said:

The directories will be labeled the same, so a simple rsync would be fine - but from my understanding, the shares will not be divided equally, and I would have to transfer the files to each disk1/share1 disk2/share1 disk3/share1 folder manually.

9 minutes ago, manifest3r said:

I'll be making the 3TB drive my parity.

Temporarily assign all the drives as data drives, use the Unbalance plugin to automatically move the data from the 3TB to the other drives, after the 3TB is empty set a new config and assign the drives where you want them.

• Upvote 1
Just now, jonathanm said:

Temporarily assign all the drives as data drives, use the Unbalance plugin to automatically move the data from the 3TB to the other drives, after the 3TB is empty set a new config and assign the drives where you want them.

This answers my question perfectly. Thanks Jonathanm!