Booting/Starting array hangs at dockerupdate w/o network (VM Firewall)

dexn

I am running my firewall as a VM with a NIC (internet) and WiFi card passthrough, and then my UnRaid is connected to my switch. This means my network is not up until the firewall VM has fully started and in turn, seems to cause the dockerupdate.php to hang for anywhere between 7 and 8 minutes. I was thinking it would be nice it could check for internet connection first and then fail gracefully if there wasn't one available.

Apr 27 17:28:30 storage emhttp: shcmd (146148): /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/dockerupdate.php |& logger
Apr 27 17:36:31 storage root:  Updating templates...  Updating info...  Done.

If anyone knows or has any ideas of how I can resolve this, it would be very much appreciated.

Edited by dexn

Please, I need help to figure this out. It is a ridiculously long wait just for the script to timeout so it can continue to boot and start the VM's. If I need to reboot or stop/start the array multiple times this becomes even more frustrating...

I have 16 dockers and it takes 8 minutes to finish the dockerupdate.php script. So it seems it takes 30 seconds to timeout for each docker.

Sent from my 5080Q using Tapatalk

You might try search this forum with terms like 'firewall+VM' and see if you find anything.  I seem to recall having seen this problem before but I didn't follow those threads so I don't what the resolution was.  (This is a 'chicken and the egg' problem.  You might have to post up a Feature Request to get a solution...) 

I run my firewall in a vm but only 4 dockers, so I was surprised to see the same updating info in my logs. I thought it felt like a little long of a boot when I switched to this method of firewall management, know I know why I guess.

Do your docker apps autostart? Just curious. I wonder if it will delay the docker update if no dockers are loading on boot.

Edited by 1812

I figured that was the case due to it being located in the docker manager plugin.

I use the CA Application Auto update plugin to do updates at a scheduled time.

It seems to be unconditional and runs on every array start. It would be nice to have a way to disable this check in the docker manager. For example, a checkbox to "Disable update check on first run" for people running their firewall on UnRAID.

Sent from my 5080Q using Tapatalk