SSD cache disk hot above 56c

Make sure you have proper cooling in your case.  Are your other drives heating up?

All of my drives were running hot but once I put in additional fans things cooled downed. I'm always running less than 40c now. 

Heres my post on the subject 

Edited by runraid

In that thread, it  was not made crystal clear but all fans not the very front of the case (including side panel fans) should blow out!  You want all of the incoming air flow to be across your hard drives.  Where are you mounting that ssd?  Many times they are just placed anywhere there is enough space to glue the drive down with double sided tape.  Make sure it is not an a naturally hotspot and that it has air flow across it. 

EDIT:  How many drives do you have in your case and how many case fans? 

Edited by Frank1940
  • 4 months later...

I am reviving this topic

I "kind of" bypassed the issue by moving the APPSDATA folder to the array disks away from the cach.

but after reading about it and deciding that I should keep APPSDATA on the cache disk I am back to the situation where the CACHE disk gets HOT. (60c)

HOW can I find out which application/plugin is the one that causes the heavy use of the drive ?

I tried to use the "file activity" plugin but its not monitoring the APPDATA folder.

I must point out that I have an open "on the wall" system design. https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/56589-my-wall-mounted-server/

so the disks are totally open and there are no air flow as such.

at normal operation the disks (array and the cache) are hovering around 35-45c

tower-diagnostics-20170918-1009.zip