Lime-Technology Shutdown?

oxi

What is the current situation?

If Tom is swamped or unavailable (vacation, out of the country, ...), in other words, if he knows that he won't be able to respond why doesn't he install some kind of auto responder to state that fact?

PS.: if he is still in business, why isn't he posting at least one single message? This takes only a minute or two and would clear up this whole mess. I am sure he is aware of emails piling up ...

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In simple terms no one really knows. He was on vacation but we have no clue if that is ended. Keep in mind this has happened at least 2 times before in the past 18 months.

So now we are simply trying to write a statement that covers realistic support expectations in a way that is fair and honest allowing us to link to it when users come here for comment on "why no answer" or "how long should it take" not knowing that it is almost certain they will not get any official response.

I didn't read all of the posts here but it seems that the support/documentation/etc of Limetech is in question again.

Personally, I have an unresolved split level issue. I've posted about it here a few times. No-one here had any useful responses which means, to me, mo-one here has any idea why the problem occured. I then emailed Limetech with a detailed explanation of the problem and I got no response. This is a customer with a pro license who sent an email for support so there is no question if this was a support issue or not. So, from my side of the fence, support from Limetech isn't good at all. Even a quick response to say "I will look into it so look for the fix in future release" would be better than nothing.

I commend the users here who are attempting to create documentation and support beyond responding to questions here. Personally, my view is that Limetech is a company that is making money from it's users. In that sense, the company should have the proper manuals and support in place to support the product it sells. I just don't have much motivation to spend time adding support for a product I don't have a financial stake in. I'll check in here when I  have some spare time I'll check out the "user" forum.

With the fairly recent advances in HTPC's and disk sizes, I really don't expect unRAID to be the only game doing what it does for too much longer. Flexraid Live is in active development (with a developer doing it for free and still providing much more active forum support) and the Drobo basically does what unRAID does on a file storage level so there are other similar solutions appearing and I expect there to be even more interest (maybe Microsoft since I they must get earfuls about how WHS is great except for file duplication) in the future to give drive failure protection on large file servers without relying on a true RAID array.

Peter

I've been with unraid since 1.0 and this has happened a few times in the past.  Once he moved from the west coast to Colorado, a few vacations and to concentrate on a new release.

It's already been suggested that he's been out of the country on a trip and more than likely is trying to push 5.0 out the door since he had wanted to complete it by Jan.

I wouldn't read to much into it....

I wouldn't read to much into it....

I'm not worried that development is going to stop, if that's what you're getting at. I suspect that you're right, and that there is active development of version 5 right now.  But that doesn't change my belief that you can't expect to be able to rely on direct support from Lime Tech should you ever need it.  Maybe you'll get a response quickly, but maybe you'll be looking for support when he's on vacation, moving, coding, relaxing, etc., and you might not get a response at all.

I'll work on an update to the support page that NAS created.  I'm planning to put in an explicit recommendation that users try to get support on the forums first, before sending an email to lime-tech support.  I think that's the general tone of the current page, and I see no reason not to state it more directly.

I'm planning to put in an explicit recommendation that users try to get support on the forums first, before sending an email to lime-tech support.  I think that's the general tone of the current page, and I see no reason not to state it more directly.

I agree, and that is my personal take on the matter.  I always consult the forums first.  If there's an issue the forums can't solve, then I would contact LimeTech.  However, in my year+ of unRAID use, I haven't yet run into an issue that the forums couldn't solve.

Personally, I have an unresolved split level issue. I've posted about it here a few times. No-one here had any useful responses which means, to me, mo-one here has any idea why the problem occured. I then emailed Limetech with a detailed explanation of the problem and I got no response. This is a customer with a pro license who sent an email for support so there is no question if this was a support issue or not. So, from my side of the fence, support from Limetech isn't good at all. Even a quick response to say "I will look into it so look for the fix in future release" would be better than nothing.

I commend the users here who are attempting to create documentation and support beyond responding to questions here. Personally, my view is that Limetech is a company that is making money from it's users. In that sense, the company should have the proper manuals and support in place to support the product it sells. I just don't have much motivation to spend time adding support for a product I don't have a financial stake in. I'll check in here when I  have some spare time I'll check out the "user" forum.

With the fairly recent advances in HTPC's and disk sizes, I really don't expect unRAID to be the only game doing what it does for too much longer. Flexraid Live is in active development (with a developer doing it for free and still providing much more active forum support) and the Drobo basically does what unRAID does on a file storage level so there are other similar solutions appearing and I expect there to be even more interest (maybe Microsoft since I they must get earfuls about how WHS is great except for file duplication) in the future to give drive failure protection on large file servers without relying on a true RAID array.

I very much agree with that.

In a free market there is one thing that strongly influences the way companies treat their customers: competition.  Right now there is no other competing management utility for the modified MD driver.  I can understand why people refrain from creating such utility out of loyalty for Limetech.  That's commendable!  But all loyalty has some reasonable limits. Like, give the guy three years to make whatever money can be made undisturbed, and after that -- it's fair game.  It's already been over four years.  It's high time somebody untertakes a project for another management utility on top of the modified MD driver.  I would invest in such project without hesitation.  Create competition and see how most of the grievances expressed in this thread will magically disappear.

Those are nice assumptions, but they are just that. In this free market you speak of people will do anything to gain, anything. Software, patent and license wise it ain't that simple though. I like to think Limetech management unplugged the phone and are working there creative magic somewhere on a dusty attic creating something wonderful and worth the wait. It is this assumption of my own that made me invest here and now and what i find appealing all together.

Like others have mentioned, what u seek is available --sign a support contract.

Fair comment indeed.

But another take is that if support is offered it should be delivered. Limetech LLC clearly offers support and there is a long running expectation and promise that support is available via email. If a support contract is to be required they should be offered for sale. The community itself can be seen recommending contacting Limetech via email for official support since the inception of this forum and this has always been well received and delivered upon.

If this is no longer the case then that should be made clear.

It is a reality that when heavy development is going on support dwindles. This time though we have several reports that support has ceased completely for many users.

Whilst you may be happy with the details of support others may not. Your decisions for  purchase are extremely valid to you but the user that needs support will not care that you don't care :)

Would everyone think it would be fair to update the wiki support statement to include "in periods of heavy development support will be by best effort only. this may result in complete or no support."

Would everyone think it would be fair to update the wiki support statement to include "in periods of heavy development support will be by best effort only. this may result in complete or no support."

That would be fair - if it's actually the case.

As is usual in these periods we really have absolutely no idea due to no communication. I believe this may be the worst 'drought' so far as whilst there has previously been a lack of unraid updates and forum posts I don't recall as many support queries going unanswered as right now?

I wouldn't like to put the above on the wiki as it's basically speculation - we have no idea if there is any development going on, if there is if that's the reason for lack of response or indeed if it's 'heavy' development at all.

Back to the root issue of just complete lack of communication.

If you were to amend that you are *hopeful* that the reasons are because of heavy development (which I'm sure is the case for everyone) then that would be more accurate.

It would be good if you could have a go at editing it in the wiki. My opinions are very strong and I want to make absolutely sure they are a true reflection of community sentiment which is best acheived by community editing.

if you don't have an account feel free to do a before and after edit here and i will post it.

I have made one more edit to:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Support

I changed the order as it was unfair the most negative comments were the first. I have also made it more "wordy" so that a new user reading it out of context hopefully will see the positive aspects are not outweighed by the negative ones.

This is my last edit. Now it is time for the forum regulars to have a go and now that Limetech is back hopefully he will polish it.

It is supposed to be accurate and represent the facts we know or can derive in a simple way. If it is not then fix it :)