What is the word on " Archive Drives" aka SMR Shingled magnetic recording and Unraid?

miogpsrocks

What is the word on " Archive Drives" aka SMR Shingled magnetic recording and Unraid?

Are these ok for the JBOD but not the Parity drive or bad for everything? 

TIVO forum told me No way, readynas forum told me No way. 

These drives are generally ok for reading however not so good for heavy writing which is why Seagate calls them archive drives. 

I'm not sure how this would be in the unraid environment? 

Please let me know

Thanks. 

I know these are widely used by unRAID users as data drives.  A typical unRAID server is mainly as a media server and as such the majority of the data is written once then rarely changed - exactly the sort of usage pattern these drives were designed for.

i believe that there have also been good experiences using them as parity drives.   I tried it myself for a while and they seemed to perform OK.   However when I got a good deal on NAS rated drives I switched these in for parity so do not know if the SMR drives would have continued to work well as parity drives.

There is a 'sticky' thread in the 'Storage Devices and Controllers' section of the forum discussing user real-world experiences with these drives.

They work great in unRAID.  They're even fine as a parity drive.  There's no reason at all that I've found to not use them - they're quiet, fast, cool running, and are pretty reliable.

I have two (the v1 model) and they've been running great for over a year in unRAID with zero issues at all.

Beware this:

The necessary refreshing of adjacent traces generally reduces the writing speed.
Therefore, SMR hard disks have an area (usually in the fast outer zone) which is not overlapping and serves as a cache;
The intermediate data stored there is only transferred to the SMR area during a rest period.
Disks that manage this SMR record internally hide these complex processes and handle them themselves by means of their
firmware - they offer the same standard interface as all other standard hard disks.
For other SMR hard disks (host-managed), however, the operating system or its device driver must act accordingly
and may only write if no existing data are affected.

I dont trust Seagate and i dont trust this system... but only ma opinion :)

Yes, and note I'm using the original Archive v1 drives, which aren't as good as the Archive v2 drives (the ST8000AS0022 are the drives you want, not the ST8000AS0002 that I have which are the v1 even though they were sold as the v2).  The v2 has a bigger non-SMR cache, and seem to be able to 'shingle' quicker.

Archived