Docker stats in GUI

I recently saw a picture of the synology DSM docker manager GUI. Looked pretty similar to unraid's with one key difference. It has the CPU and RAM usage displayed. That would be a nice addition. Attached is the picture of the synology DSM.

screenshot_02.png

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

I also have both of those dockers.

But this isn't about finding info it's about being in that location.

I've been chatting with some people who have used a few different NAS products and unRAID could do with some improvements to the gui.

So to clarify this isn't a request for me. Just a general improvement.

And just because the data can be found elsewhere doesn't mean it wouldn't make sense to be on the docker page.

It's like saying all the hard drive info is on the main page (space used, temp etc) so why bother putting it on the dashboard.

And unless I'm missing something neither netdata nor cAdvisor label the dockers with their name so it's not that easy figure out what's what at a glance.

If you add flowers squid, will more flowers equal more cpu used or more flower power?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

I've been thinking same; the unraid UI is definitely a bit outdated and uninformative at times. I would love to see refreshments like in the screenshot OP provided. Of course there are dockers, but it makes sense for all this information to exist in the UnRAID GUI.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
On 5/3/2017 at 5:43 PM, primeval_god said:

Netdata can, but the docker container requires rw access to the docker.sock to do so . 

If we are advocating the use of this container to fix a core OS limitation we need to explain the serious security implications of docker sock access. At the very least this will require a zone like setup with networking to mitigate some security risks.

I would in my day job always advise strongly against any solution that could have public facing containers on the same instance as a backend sock instance

• Like 1
On 5/3/2017 at 12:43 PM, primeval_god said:

Netdata can, but the docker container requires rw access to the docker.sock to do so . 

Per the discussion in the thread below, it appears that netdata only requires read access to the docker.sock.

Additionally there is this container https://github.com/titpetric/docker-proxy-acl for further restricting the use of docker.sock.

https://raesene.github.io/blog/2016/03/06/The-Dangers-Of-Docker.sock/

" After tweeting this article out @benhall pointed out that actually the ro setting on the volume mount doesn’t have a lot of effect in terms of security. An attacker with ro access to the socket can still create another container and do something like mount /etc/ into it from the host, essentially giving them root access to the host. So bottom line is don’t mount docker.sock into a container unless you trust its provenance and security… "

In general security terms you know things are fundamentally not right with a generic approach when your trying to herd this many cats just to make it less insecure... not secure... less evil.