Controlling temperature with multi-GPU system

Last night, I was running with my two headed VR rig in some games.  I had two players running through the Rec Room, doing some of the latest content.  Both VMs were working fine for about 20 minutes, when I got unrecoverable errors on both VMs simultaneously.  I had to reboot the system.  I wasn't able to observe the GPU temperatures directly, but I felt some real heat when I opened the box.  It got me to wondering how to manage the various temperature controls spread across systems.  

For the GPUs, I assume that the VM which controls that GPU will control the fans on that GPU only.

For the CPU cooler, I'm not sure who is the controller.  I have the NZXT Kraken x62 AIO cooler, which has its own controls for fans.  It is attached as a USB device to the mobo.  If I unplug the USB connector, the cooler defaults to "max" settings.

How do I monitor the temperature of my system as a whole?  How do I make sure the CPU cooler is reacting appropriately without running NZXT SW?  How can I diagnose whether an error is thermal related?

--Brad

23 minutes ago, harperhendee said:

For the CPU cooler, I'm not sure who is the controller.

Which ever VM you've passed the AIO usb to.

24 minutes ago, harperhendee said:

How do I monitor the temperature of my system as a whole?  

Dynamix system temp plugin

24 minutes ago, harperhendee said:

How do I make sure the CPU cooler is reacting appropriately without running NZXT SW?

Most BIOS also have a setting for temp monitoring at which point they will beep when over temp.

25 minutes ago, harperhendee said:

How can I diagnose whether an error is thermal related?

Might wind up being some MCE (machine check events) within unRaid's syslog.