Supermicro Fan Problem

So I had Dual E5-2670's in my 2U Supermicro system and at idle the fan speeds were around 3k RPM under the optimal setting., which was quiet enough for me. The problem was the high fan speeds when it ramped up, so I just replaced them with Dual E5-2650L's today. Crazy enough no matter what I set the fans to they won't go below 5k RPM. They sit at like 4950 and will never go below that even at idle. The CPU temps are way lower than my 2670's but of course the fans are spinning up like crazy. I've tried reapplying thermal compound twice thinking I put too much or too little the first time, but no difference. I've reset the BMC and Bios to default and still no difference. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

13 minutes ago, ashman70 said:

I would email supermicro support and see what they say.

I finally gave up and popped the 2670's back in and it's back to 3k RPM on fans with no tweaking. The CPUs are running hotter than the 2650Ls as well so I really have no idea... It's pretty frustrating to be honest. Is Supermicro good about supporting home users running older hardware lol?

1 minute ago, ashman70 said:

I bought a used chassis on eBay and emailed them because I thought 'what do I have to lose', that was back in January and I am still emailing them with questions, so yes, they don't care what you have or where you got it from, as long as its Supermicro.

Awesome thanks man. I still can't wrap my head around why a low power chip would cause this because the motherboard was measuring everything correctly. But I guess I should be used to this by now since I run almost all Supermicro stuff...

I'll update when I get an answer in case anyone else ever has this issue.

1 minute ago, ashman70 said:

Are you on the latest BIOS?

Yeah everything is the newest version for this board. It's a Supermicro 2U system with X9DRi-LN4+ motherboard. I've been using it for over a year but just decided to swap to some low power CPUs to try to keep it quieter at load but I got the opposite effect LOL.

11 minutes ago, ashman70 said:

I assume the TDP of the newer processors was lower than the old ones? Weird that the fans ran faster and didn't slow down, definitely a question for support.

E5-2670 TDP is: 115W/each

E5-2650L TDP is: 70W/each

It's a significant difference and I confirmed multiple times that I properly applied thermal compound as I reseated and reapplied two times. Also the idle temps of my Dual 2670s is 47-53C while the Dual 2650Ls were idling at under 40 and barely hitting 55-60 under full load. 

So they replied with just one sentence saying to factory reset the IPMI, which I already did...

Oh well at this point I'm so frustrated I'm just going to order a couple of Noctua i4 coolers and just leave the top off the case. I love these Supermicro cases and would buy a 4U if I could find an affordable one with the newer backplanes that support more than 2TB drives. All the ones I can find are $1000+ on eBay because I haven't been able to find any with just the cases (only full systems). For the time being it'll just have to be an open air case!

Still going back and forth with their email support and so far nothing has worked. I tried rigging up the Noctua coolers but without the top cover the hard drives were hitting 50C instead of their normal 31C so I scrapped that idea even though the CPUs were frosty cold :(