What is your favorite music app and why?

Just lobbing a grenade...;D

I'm thinking about storing all my music (which isn't much - about 70-80 GB in FLAC) and there are several music apps. My wife would probably appreciate it if I stored a duplicate of it in AAC for her Apple iPods.  Do you guys have a favorite and maybe a little about why? I am wondering if there is a strong reason for leaning toward one app or another.

In case it matters...I tend to use MediaMonkey.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Unqualified Spectator

At home I use Plex with the big screen because it has a nice sound system.  When away from home I use DSub on my Android phone/tablet with Subsonic on the unRAID server.  Subsonic will transcode as needed from FLAC and DSub stores as many songs as I give it space for so there is no constant streaming of frequently played songs.  There is at least one fork of Subsonic that I know of called Madsonic, there may be others.  I think they all require a subscription fee for the remote API.  $12 a year for Subsonic which is nothing compared to most things these days.

I'd have to go with Google Play Music.  I subscribe so I can get almost everything I want.  I also love that they let you upload, up to 20,000 songs I think, of your own music.  So, for me, those that aren't on Google Play Music, I can upload and stream to any of my devices.

I used to run Subsonic/Music Cabinet/Madsonic (played around with them all) and still do for some friends.  However, for $15 a month for 6 of us, I've been much happier with GPM.

Reason I went with GPM versus Spotify is the ability to upload your own files.  I listen to some very obscure bands that aren't on either service.  With GPM, I upload them once and have access everywhere.  With Spotify, you can have to have the files on the device you're listening on.

Just my two cents.  

For Subsonic, I used DSub.  Only have Android devices so can't help for your wife.

I have my music in MediaMonkey as FLAC. These are transcoded to mp3 for my wife's iTunes library and for use on my phone. On my phone I'm currently using GoneMad Music Player.

My wife also has other music from the iTunes store. Both MediaMonkey library and iTunes library are on my unRAID server, with backups elsewhere.

I'm kind of old school with my music, preferring to own albums instead of stream tracks.

At home I use Plex with the big screen because it has a nice sound system.  When away from home I use DSub on my Android phone/tablet with Subsonic on the unRAID server.  Subsonic will transcode as needed from FLAC and DSub stores as many songs as I give it space for so there is no constant streaming of frequently played songs.  There is at least one fork of Subsonic that I know of called Madsonic, there may be others.  I think they all require a subscription fee for the remote API.  $12 a year for Subsonic which is nothing compared to most things these days.

Have a look at libresonic, it's a fork of subsonic, it's open source and has no subscription costs, so just the cost of the client and that's it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, binhex said:

Have a look at libresonic, it's a fork of subsonic, it's open source and has no subscription costs, so just the cost of the client and that's it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Very nice and thanks, another binhex Docker to add to the collection.  Was wondering why you didn't have a Subsonic Docker...

Foobar2000 is great is you are trying to maintain your own music. Excellent playback quality, and some unique features around converting FLAC to mp3 and maintaining tags.

(Only on Windows I think, but can certainly access your media on the sever).

Foobar2000 for my desktop PC and my HTPC, although I'm using Kodi more and more. Local library.

Google Play Music for streaming, but only because they bought Songza and their awesome playlists. Generally I find the Google Play Music website/app to be frustrating and it always disconnects Bluetooth on our Android devices.

On 5/5/2017 at 7:41 AM, Squid said:

Winamp and occasionally when I'm in the proper frame of mind, Sidplayer :D

Wow - didn't think I was in the company of fellow CBM Nutz...I still have a Commodore Executive 64...needs capping. And yeah - the old Commodore Christmas Sid collection was complete awesome sauce. Blocky character graphics and SID music - so cool.

Thanks for the trip down amnesia lane!

+1 for WinAmp.  Not sure I need anything fancier... can't quite grasp all the newer stuff with the cluttered interfaces

If Plex didn't crash my server I'd be all over it, too for the Chromecast love... one day maybe I'll dig into the cause, or just setup a separate box for it.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! BUT YOU'RE ALL OVER THE MAP. I'll let you know which way i go...truly, thanks!

Trurl - I'm with you - I tend to own albums and not tracks.

Others have suggested Plex - I tried Plex but found it confusing - maybe I'll have another look. I was interested in Plex for managing content for multiple Kodi boxes and being able to use my videos while away from home - but it seemed confusing as to what exactly I needed and I'm cheap so, free didn't appear to be in the cards for Plex.

I've been looking at Libresonic/Subsonic/Madsonic - anything special required?

8 hours ago, Unqualified Spectator said:

I've been looking at Libresonic/Subsonic/Madsonic - anything special required?

nothing special, just watch for compatibility with the server side and the client side, there is a docker image for the server side and then you can connect to it via web browser, or if you have android devices then use one of the following apps:-

dsub (recommended) - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=github.daneren2005.dsub&hl=en_GB

madsonic - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=github.madmarty.madsonic&hl=en_GB

subsonic - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.sourceforge.subsonic.androidapp&hl=en_GB

i know for a fact that Libresonic and dsub work well as i run this myself, obviously madsonic client and madsonic server work ok together, not sure of any other combinations, i have no idea what is/is not compatible with the server side in regards to Apple Apps, but by the look of it iSub has good support according to the description:-

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/isub-music-streamer/id362920532?mt=8

Binhex - I'm running your minidlna docker and it does a great job for my simple needs. I never have to worry about it. I've been using mediamonkey on my android phones but haven't been thrilled with it for a while...it keeps losing my album art and stuff. I may give dsub a run and I'll check out isub - just for the better half! I'm looking for something that will handle my wife's apple needs and not force me to change all my music rips. It would be super cool if I didn't have to "do anything" and she could just grab what she wants from the unraid music and put it on her ipod - you know, without having to involve me. I don't mind helping out anytime, but when you get old enough, you start thinking about what can I put together that won't be a burden on others and will work when I'm not here anymore...we don't live forever. That's what led me to unraid in the first place...it just works.

You guys are all awesome. You make unraid the ultimate home server. And you're awesome to chat with and work with. Cheers!