(WTB) Supermicro 4U w/ newer backplane (>2TB Support)

1 hour ago, ashman70 said:

The 36 bay case is 4U, I have one.

Yeah I know but it's only 2U of internal space since the back 12 bays take up the other 2U. I already have (2) 2U's with Dual E5-2670's. Looking to move one of them to a 4U case so I can put Noctua fans in it and also put Noctua CPU coolers in it.

14 minutes ago, ashman70 said:

Where the motherboard sits you have 4U of space, its just the front and back that are taken up with the drives. I think there would be enough clearance for those coolers, if you want to give me the height dimensions I can open my case and measure.

I am pretty sure you are mistaken. Every 36 Bay Supermicro I've ever seen is only 2U internally. But here is the cooler

http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-workstation-server/nh-u9dx-i4/specification

7 minutes ago, ashman70 said:

You may be right, actually now that I think about it in terms of how the add on cards work and where the expansion slots are at the back of the case it is 2U, you are right.

Thanks for the input. All I see for a reasonable price on eBay are the 36 bay ones not the 24 bay ones unfortunately. The only affordable 24 bay ones at the moment are older and don't support the large drives.