New Application: S. N. A. P.

Copying data via snap through a esata toaster speed issue.

Hi, am using the latest beta from snap with beta 5.14, am seeing the shares and can acces them. When copying from this share, the speed is 1 Mb/sec. Isn't that a bit slow? How can I check possible speed probs?

Copying from where to where?

Soory about that, I want to copy data to the array from an old sata laptop harddrive. It's a 320 Gb drive So I thought esata will be faster than usb2.

but it less than 1 MB/s.

If you are doing the copy from a windows machine then what is happening is the data is copied from the unRAID server's esata drive to Windows and then back to the unRAID array.  That copy speed will be governed by your network speed

primarily.  SNAP mounts and shares the drive.  It's the linux OS and the hardware that handles the rest.

If you telnet into the unRAID server and test copy from drive to drive you can figure out if it's the network / Windows round trip that's slowing it down.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, can you help me out here..linux newbie so no doubt doing something wrong.

I have disk that is blank and ready for Unraid use and another that has 4 ntfs windows partitions.  I'm trying to get snap to share the 3rd ntfs partition that has all my music on it at the moment.  I get:

root@Tower:/boot/config/snap# snap.sh -listDevInfo

unRAID=No  SNAP=No  4042  /dev/hdb  ata-SAMSUNG_SV0802E_S05RJ10Y615828

unRAID=No  SNAP=No  299  /dev/hda  ata-ST3120022A_5JT1EKDS

unRAID=No  SNAP=No  4001  /dev/sda  usb-Kingston_DataTraveler_2.0_27C1A240C2E2EF08-0:0

root@Tower:/boot/config/snap# snap.sh -a 5JT1EKDS Windows

root@Tower:/boot/config/snap# snap.sh -m Windows

Partition doesn't exist, cannot be mounted.

Should I see each partition instead of just the one device? If I do ls /dev/disk/hda* I get:

hda

hda1

hda2

hda5

hda6

hda7

Not sure why there are 5 numbers with a gap.  I can mount the one I want with:

mount -r -t ntfs /dev/hda6 /mnt/WindowsDisk -o umask=111,dmask=000

Any thoughts?  I think the first partition is an old windows 2000 install and the others just what has evolved over time...might be a good time to tidy up and start again...

thanks

Hi, can you help me out here..linux newbie so no doubt doing something wrong.

I have disk that is blank and ready for Unraid use and another that has 4 ntfs windows partitions.  I'm trying to get snap to share the 3rd ntfs partition that has all my music on it at the moment.  I get:

root@Tower:/boot/config/snap# snap.sh -listDevInfo

unRAID=No  SNAP=No  4042  /dev/hdb  ata-SAMSUNG_SV0802E_S05RJ10Y615828

unRAID=No  SNAP=No  299  /dev/hda  ata-ST3120022A_5JT1EKDS

unRAID=No  SNAP=No  4001  /dev/sda  usb-Kingston_DataTraveler_2.0_27C1A240C2E2EF08-0:0

root@Tower:/boot/config/snap# snap.sh -a 5JT1EKDS Windows

root@Tower:/boot/config/snap# snap.sh -m Windows

Partition doesn't exist, cannot be mounted.

Should I see each partition instead of just the one device? If I do ls /dev/disk/hda* I get:

hda

hda1

hda2

hda5

hda6

hda7

Not sure why there are 5 numbers with a gap.  I can mount the one I want with:

mount -r -t ntfs /dev/hda6 /mnt/WindowsDisk -o umask=111,dmask=000

Any thoughts?  I think the first partition is an old windows 2000 install and the others just what has evolved over time...might be a good time to tidy up and start again...

thanks

SNAP will try to mount/share every partition on a device using the sharename you provide.  The first partition will use the sharename, the second will use "sharename2", the third "sharename3" and so on. 

Here's  a preview of the next build.  I added some more options in the right-click context menu.  I added an option to start preclearing by right clicking on the grid row and the preclear status displays in the grid. 

I also added some manual control options for mounting/sharing.  I'm preclearing 4 drives with it right now.

EDIT:

I've also made it so the status shows if a drive is already been precleared. 

Towersnap_-_Mozilla_Firefox_2012-01-31_00-42-36.jpg.ee5c8bacd869c12830a84e89c3a41b58.jpg

The drive that I'm currently sharing with SNAP has been working fine over the past 24 hours. However this morning I woke up to find that it has now entered a read only file system state. Unmenu seems to suggest it's mounted with read and write priv from when i first set it up.

Any idea why it's done this? Or is it going to be an actual hardware issue?

The drive that I'm currently sharing with SNAP has been working fine over the past 24 hours. However this morning I woke up to find that it has now entered a read only file system state. Unmenu seems to suggest it's mounted with read and write priv from when i first set it up.

Any idea why it's done this? Or is it going to be an actual hardware issue?

Hmm, SNAP doesn't spontaneously unshare and if unmenu says it's mounted r/w then I'd probably guess it's a Windows problem.  If Windows is set to maintain network shares when offline then it attempts to remember the share and always screws stuff up mightily. 

The drive is essentially a unraid apps drive. Sick, sab etc all have their files stored on it and both were giving me errors since they can't write to a read only file. I don't believe any of it was shared across the network since none of it really needs to be accessed. My windows machine was off overnight and I did mount the TV user share from unraid, So maybe windows has done some voodoo magic and messed with the SNAP share when it shouldn't have.

It's not a major issue, Annoying for sure but there's bound to be a solution out there. It could just be a hardware fault, drive has come loose etc. I will have to check it all tonight once I get home, Lots of trial and error stuff to check and test.

Unraid is 5.0b14.

Apps are installed via plugins (along with SNAP) and the data folders are just pointed towards the drive. The drive appears under /mnt/disk/<pluginfoldernamehere>. Sickbeard and sab are being run as root.

I'm sure it's just me doing something incorrect or the drive died on me. It is one of my old SSDs, I'm sure it was fine when I stopped using it but who knows. Maybe lack of use for 6 months or so has just degraded it a little too much. I will run some smart tests etc once I get home.

Thanks for the replies so far :)

SNAP will try to mount/share every partition on a device using the sharename you provide.  The first partition will use the sharename, the second will use "sharename2", the third "sharename3" and so on. 

Sorry, I probably should have kept my post more concise and not started rambling about my partitions!  The problem I have is that I can't mount the disk at all, SNAP says "Partition doesn't exist, cannot be mounted."

It seems like a linux problem to me rather than snap - If I do ls /dev/disk/by-id

I just get one entry for the drive, should I get part-1 part-2 etc?

Sorry, I probably should have kept my post more concise and not started rambling about my partitions!  The problem I have is that I can't mount the disk at all, SNAP says "Partition doesn't exist, cannot be mounted."

It seems like a linux problem to me rather than snap - If I do ls /dev/disk/by-id

I just get one entry for the drive, should I get part-1 part-2 etc?

Yep, the "-part1" rows are for the partitions.  If there isn't one then no partition exists and no filesystem to mount.

Thankyou thankyou THANKYOU!

I'm a new UnRaid user who was having difficulty moving my files from an external USB/eSATA AFP drive to UnRaid.

With SNAP easily installed, drive mounted fine on USB (but not eSATA) and files now copying :)

*updated*

Quick question if I may. If I want to use SNAP to do automatic backups, as explained, to an external USB drive, what would be the best (most reliable and best supported) format to have the external drive in, bearing in mind I'm a Mac user? I believe AFP is read only. Is EXT2 supported for write and/or advised?

Thankyou thankyou THANKYOU!

I'm a new UnRaid user who was having difficulty moving my files from an external USB/eSATA AFP drive to UnRaid.

With SNAP easily installed, drive mounted fine on USB (but not eSATA) and files now copying :)

*updated*

Quick question if I may. If I want to use SNAP to do automatic backups, as explained, to an external USB drive, what would be the best (most reliable and best supported) format to have the external drive in, bearing in mind I'm a Mac user? I believe AFP is read only. Is EXT2 supported for write and/or advised?

Currently for unRAID 4.7 ext2 is read-only.  I've never used a Mac so I don't know anything about AFP.  If it's ever supported in unRAID (as part of it's linux system) then it can be added to SNAP.  I use NTFS myself due to having windows machines. 

case "$filesystem" in

'ext2')

# mount the partition ...

# Note: It seems that unRAID version of slackware doesn't have the ext3 driver.

#      http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5777.0

#      Joe L. There is no ext3 driver module in unRAID, but if the ext3 file-system

#      was cleanly unmounted, and there are no journal entries to replay, it may be mounted as ext2.

mountOptions="-t $filesystem"

readonlyflag="-r"

;;

'ext3')

# mount the partition ...

# Note: It seems that unRAID version of slackware doesn't have the ext3 driver.

#      http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5777.0

#      Joe L. There is no ext3 driver module in unRAID, but if the ext3 file-system

#      was cleanly unmounted, and there are no journal entries to replay, it may be mounted as ext2.

mountOptions="-t ext2"

readonlyflag="-r"

;;

AFP is not a file system like NTFS, AFP is the equivalent of SMB.

hfs/hfs+ drives can be mounted on unRAID (there are directions somewhere on the forums and a module is included it just has to be loaded).

SNAP has had support for hfsplus but since I don't have any drives formatted with that filesystem I've not done any testing.

'hfsplus')

mountOptions="-t $filesystem"

readonlyflag=""

;;

Hello,

just one question, case I just don't get it.

Does the actual Version of S.N.A.P. work with 5.beta14 or not?

Cause I'm trying to get it wo work but.... nothing.

It says all shares are mounted but I can's see or access them....

cu

Apologies for the AFP/HFS confusion.

Had a quick go last night. HFS seems to work, but the log does mention it is for testing only right now (or words to that effect).

NTFS will be fine as this is a backup so I only need to be able to read it from UnRAID and a Mac, but the Mac doesn't need to write to it.

Hello,

just one question, case I just don't get it.

Does the actual Version of S.N.A.P. work with 5.beta14 or not?

Cause I'm trying to get it wo work but.... nothing.

It says all shares are mounted but I can's see or access them....

cu

I'm using the SNAP plugin on 5.0beta14 as I write this.  Which version have you installed?

Apologies for the AFP/HFS confusion.

Had a quick go last night. HFS seems to work, but the log does mention it is for testing only right now (or words to that effect).

NTFS will be fine as this is a backup so I only need to be able to read it from UnRAID and a Mac, but the Mac doesn't need to write to it.

I don't think the message about being for testing only came from SNAP.

@queeg

I also use the 5.0beta14.

But I just don't get a share to work... :-\

Took an new Drive, created a Partition an formated it.

As I'm a Linux beginner, I used Google, to get the info's I needet to do this.

Hopefully without any mistake.

Then I pointed the share name to the Drive/Partition.

-> Drive to Snap: snap.sh -a 5YD5DNY9 Sonos

The GoScript has the line: /boot/config/snap/snap.sh -b

Snap say's all shares mounted and when I let SNAP display the assigned Drives it shows the one I'd like to have, but I don't see it and I have no access to it.

If I use unMeu to mount the Drive, I see it and I can put Data on it, so I would say I have created the Partition and formated it correctly.

Is there my a step by step HowTo?

Let's say wehen I start with a new Drive without a Prtition on it.

..and I want to make the complete Disk one Partition and Share..

...may I made a mistake some where...

cu

@queeg

I also use the 5.0beta14.

But I just don't get a share to work... :-\

Took an new Drive, created a Partition an formated it.

As I'm a Linux beginner, I used Google, to get the info's I needet to do this.

Hopefully without any mistake.

Then I pointed the share name to the Drive/Partition.

-> Drive to Snap: snap.sh -a 5YD5DNY9 Sonos

The GoScript has the line: /boot/config/snap/snap.sh -b

Snap say's all shares mounted and when I let SNAP display the assigned Drives it shows the one I'd like to have, but I don't see it and I have no access to it.

If I use unMeu to mount the Drive, I see it and I can put Data on it, so I would say I have created the Partition and formated it correctly.

Is there my a step by step HowTo?

Let's say wehen I start with a new Drive without a Prtition on it.

..and I want to make the complete Disk one Partition and Share..

...may I made a mistake some where...

cu

Are you using the web ui interface to SNAP?  It looks like you add the drive manually.  Can you post the display showing the drives are shared.

I used telnet / manually yes.

Sorry but on the first Page of this Thread, where the .47 it the most recent Version, I didn't find any newer version.

Now after Your Post, I looked throug the Thread and found the Page 28.

Sorry for that, will give it a try tomorrow.

But as on the first Page nothing about a New Version was published and the Update Button also doesn't deliver a newer Verion....

I thougt it may not work or I made a mistake.

cu

I used telnet / manually yes.

Sorry but on the first Page of this Thread, where the .47 it the most recent Version, I didn't find any newer version.

Now after Your Post, I looked throug the Thread and found the Page 28.

Sorry for that, will give it a try tomorrow.

But as on the first Page nothing about a New Version was published and the Update Button also doesn't deliver a newer Verion....

I thougt it may not work or I made a mistake.

cu

This new version of SNAP is still beta so it won't show up on the first page of the SNAP thread yet.

For now get the new version here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5904.msg162583#msg162583

@queeg,

I originally used the installer method I have now move to the plugin with unRAID 5.13beta.

How do I go about creating hotplugg events. This is my current event.

echo "Running hotPlugAfterShareEvent.sh"

case $SHARENAME in

'Transcend_500GB')

date >> $SNAPLOGDIRECTORY/hotPlugAfterShareEvent.log

cp -uRv /mnt/user/Media/Series/ $MOUNTPOINT/ 2>&1 >> $SNAPLOGDIRECTORY/hotPlugAfterShareEvent.log

;;

esac