New Application: S. N. A. P.

hmmm...didnt stop to think screen had other uses than preclearing drives, ill have a delve around, MC is easy to use though for a early learner like myself...as for S.N.A.P, i dont think it will do what i require of it...im really looking for something i can use that will utilise my external drive as an incremental backup medium...i had this with my QNAP, i selected folders i wished to backup and a backup would be made, the next time i backed up only newer files would be backed and/or any changes..is this something that can be implemented in snap or is there a dedicated package to do this ?

Try using "rsync -avr"  On subsequent backups it only gets files that are new or changed.  If you are planning on leaving the drive in all the time then you could make a scheduled script with rsync in it.  If you want to insert the drive periodically and have the backup run when the drive is plugged in then SNAP has events that fire like AFTER_SHARE that you could use to run the script automatically when the drive is plugged in.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hmmm...didnt stop to think screen had other uses than preclearing drives, ill have a delve around, MC is easy to use though for a early learner like myself...as for S.N.A.P, i dont think it will do what i require of it...im really looking for something i can use that will utilise my external drive as an incremental backup medium...i had this with my QNAP, i selected folders i wished to backup and a backup would be made, the next time i backed up only newer files would be backed and/or any changes..is this something that can be implemented in snap or is there a dedicated package to do this ?

Try using "rsync -avr"  On subsequent backups it only gets files that are new or changed.  If you are planning on leaving the drive in all the time then you could make a scheduled script with rsync in it.  If you want to insert the drive periodically and have the backup run when the drive is plugged in then SNAP has events that fire like AFTER_SHARE that you could use to run the script automatically when the drive is plugged in.

Sounds like where i want to be...unfortunately, way beyond my remit yet  :-\

Extremely useful app, good work q! The GUI is amazing, you've made it easy to use & powerful. Good job. Just wanted to mention that copying files in shell from the drives (former WHS folders) crashed my server 2-3 times til manually learning how to mount/share the device. Crashed as in I couldn't get to the http or telnet interface anymore but it was still reachable from console to reboot.

I think it might not have liked some of the filenames.

To solve it I installed ntfs-3g with unraid pkg manager. First created /mnt/user/tmp/wdcavy2972 and then:

mount -r -o nls=utf8 -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdg1 /mnt/user/tmp/wdcavy2972

File copies have been running the past 12 hours without crashing ^_^

Code I've used to move files. Would have used mc but the casing difference means it wouldn't merge together:

cp -ruvpn /mnt/user/tmp/wdcavy2972/Videos/* /mnt/user/videos

Running 5.0beta12 w/ S.N.A.P  ver: 5.08

I'm having issues installing the plugin, specifically the script seems to be looking for a file that doesn't exist on the google code site (snap-5.08-1.tar instead of snap-5.08.tar);

installing plugin: Download_SNAP_bundle

http://unraid-snap.googlecode.com/files/snap-5.08-1.tar:

2012-03-18 20:40:30 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Is there a quick workaround for me to fix this locally or is this a server / package side issue?

Cheers

I got SNAP up and running on my 5.0 b14 server; was able to mount and share a drive fine. How do I go about setting share permissions tho? Is there a way to export the share but make it hidden like you can with regular unraid shares? Possible to do user permissions as well?

Thanks!

Update: got this to work by using unmenu and editing the /boot/config/smb-extra.conf and edited the share with the following:

[share]

path = /mnt/disk/share

comment = share

valid users = oopsallberrys

write list = oopsallberrys

browseable = no

read only = no

guest ok = no

• 2 weeks later...

i formatted my flash drive in windows with fat32. i install snap using the plugins. i go to settings/snap and cant see my flash drive. since there is no instruction here, i go to topic New Application: S. N. A. P.. i followed the instruction to assign drive to snap

1. Plug the drive into your unRAID server so linux will create a device name for it.

2. Show the devices on your unRAID server by typing:  snap.sh -listDevInfo 

3. Determine which is the one your interested in.  Plugging/unplugging will make it appear/disappear from the list.

4. Assign the drive to Snap:  snap.sh -a serialnumber  sharename

then i go back to settings/snap and still doesnt see my flashdrive. my flashdrive is empty (just formatted).

anything i missed?

Trying to use SNAP (and unraid) and having a little issues. I tried searching the forum but it's not really finding anything and I'm hoping I dont have to read through this entire thread to find answers. I have a external USB hard drive formatted as fat. SNAP can see the drive and assign it a share name but can't seem to mount it. I get this error when trying to mount:

Error opening partition or maybe no filesystem exists, cannot be mounted for device: /dev/disk/by-id/usb-WD_My_Book_1140_574341575A31343338393334-0:0-part1

I also have an internal SATA drive that seemed to mount ok, but when I try to access it from a Win7 computer it prompts me for a login. Using my Unraid login doesn't work. I can access all the drives on my array but not the drive that Snap mounted. Is there some sort of default login?

I also went a few pages back on this thread and saw there was some kind of GUI. Is there a page number on this thread of post # I can refer to where it'll tell me how to get that GUI? I don't see an option on unmenu.

Thanks for any help.

Can you see all your drives on the network now? What solved the issue, that you asked about in another thread? Would be nice if you posted the solution, so others can learn from it.

What you current problem concerns: maybe fat isn't supported in SNAP, but read the discussion between youyang an queeg here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5904.msg59797#msg59797 and onward. Read carefully, it might include some hints. It also could be that the USB drive wasn't cleanly shutdown. In that case connect it to a Windows PC and let Windows detect and fix it.

Yes I can see all my drives now. I honestly don't know what solved the issue. I'm guessing that it was formatting, but like I said before the indicator was green next to the drive so I don't know. I'm not even sure if it's working now because I'm waiting for the first parity sync to complete. I didn't format the parity drive so I don't know how that's working but unRaid says it's doing it. The indicator next to the parity drive is yellow so I assume it's from working on the parity sync ....?

I would think that snap would be compatible with fat since the first couple of posts talks about using all kinds of USB devices and memory cards, many of which are primarily fat. Thanks for posting that link, I'll try to follow it when my system finishes parity syncing.

What does it mean for a USB drive to cleanly shutdown? Are you talking about ejecting it from the computer prior to unplugging it?

I'm having issues installing the plugin, specifically the script seems to be looking for a file that doesn't exist on the google code site (snap-5.08-1.tar instead of snap-5.08.tar);

installing plugin: Download_SNAP_bundle

http://unraid-snap.googlecode.com/files/snap-5.08-1.tar:

2012-03-18 20:40:30 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Is there a quick workaround for me to fix this locally or is this a server / package side issue?

Cheers

I had this issue too. It appears the plugin download on the main plugin page is broken/different version.

I got it to install correctly using the download from here  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=18046.0

Even though it's the same version number it's changed and grabs the tar correctly

• 3 weeks later...

Running SNAP in B5rc1 and I can't mount an SATA drive formatted NTFS.  When I run:

snap.sh -m DailyBackups

I get the following:

Partition doesn't exist, cannot be mounted.

The drive shows up in SNAP as "NTFS", but changes to "No FS" as soon as I try to mount it.

Drive is device hda.

UPDATE:

I have this drive installed in my server as a backup drive connected to an internal SATA port.  It stays in the server and is not removed.  It is formated NTFS.  When I try to mount the drive I'm told there is no partition.  I've tracked it down to the /dev/disk/by-id/*part1 for this drive does not exist so SNAP cannot mount it.

queeg, can you take a look and see why this is happening and how I can fix it?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all - hope someone here can help me, sorry to ask this again, but whatever little info I managed to find on the net did not specify a solution or a workaround that I understood - I'm very new to unRaid and Linux in general.

My problem is this - I have 2 USB drives mounted via SNAP and both do show on my windows but I can't access them from my Win 7 (x64) machine as they require a username and password, I have tried every thing but it won't let me in. How do I get around this?

Just a quick question.  I'm still on unraid 4.7 and SNAP 0.47.  I want to move my SNAP mounted apps drive to a different position in my HP N40L (into the ODD drive bay) so it will have a different SATA port.  Will that effect the drive being mounted in SNAP?  I just want to know what I have to do before I start pulling out drives. :)

Edit:  Took the plunge after reading more and realising that SNAP uses the serial number to mount/share. :) Drive moved, and no issues!

Running SNAP in B5rc1 and I can't mount an SATA drive formatted NTFS.  When I run:

snap.sh -m DailyBackups

I get the following:

Partition doesn't exist, cannot be mounted.

The drive shows up in SNAP as "NTFS", but changes to "No FS" as soon as I try to mount it.

Drive is device hda.

UPDATE:

I have this drive installed in my server as a backup drive connected to an internal SATA port.  It stays in the server and is not removed.  It is formated NTFS.  When I try to mount the drive I'm told there is no partition.  I've tracked it down to the /dev/disk/by-id/*part1 for this drive does not exist so SNAP cannot mount it.

queeg, can you take a look and see why this is happening and how I can fix it?

Sounds like the partition table is not correct for that drive.  Your syslog should provide a little info as to what the kernel sees on the drive.  Better yet would be to use fdisk to view the partition table (an example fdisk line is in Console commands for hard drives).  I would probably want to use a Partition Magic live CD or similar to view and possibly correct the partition table, but if you don't have much experience with tools like that, I don't recommend you actually making changes yourself (unless you know what you are doing of course), because it is the quickest way I know of to make all your data appear to disappear!

install the plugin , then use it the old way by telnetting in

Skank he wants to remove it not install it. :)

In my go scripts I would edit the go script from Flash/Config/go (via windows) in notepad (I use notepad++), remove the snap start up script below, and save it somewhere ,  then put it back when you want to run it again.

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

/boot/config/snap/snap.sh -b

I'm running 4.7

In my go scripts I would edit the go script from Flash/Config/go (via windows) in notepad (I use notepad++), remove the snap start up script below, and save it somewhere ,  then put it back when you want to run it again.

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

I'm running 4.7

oh lol , misread sorry

Hi - this looks like exactly what I have been looking for, however reading through im not sure on how to set it up to do what I need. Im not particularly literate with linux im afraid. Can anyone help, even if its to point me in the right direction?

I have a 7TB array running unraid stable, about 9 months old. Its in an HP N40L microserver chassis.

I have samba shares set up ie /Movies/HD/, /Movies/SD/, /TV/ etc. Set to automatically fill and span free space so each of the storage drives fills up evenly.

I want to be able to copy files onto my NTFS USB Flash at work, making sure that I use the same folder structure (ie /Movies/SD/abc.mkv) then plug it into the unraid box at home and have the contents automatically download to the correct share.

Apologies if this is a little unclear, or if I have got the wrong end of the stick about whether this is actually possible.

Cheers

Gordon

• 3 weeks later...

So a long time ago at the very beginning of SNAP I requested a feature, power down on umount. The driver for this was on Ubuntu this is trivial to do from the GUI but i never quite understood how they made it so easy and reliable in the back end.

The idea is that the type of stuff mounted via SNAP is not the kind of stuff you would want to remount again i.e. likely you will just re-plug/cycle power to kick SNAP in again.

So now I know how Ubuntu makes it easy they rely on udisks:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/udisks

The udisks project provides:  a daemon, udisksd, that implements well-defined D-Bus interfaces that can be used to query and manipulate storage devices.

The easiest to read manpage is here:

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man1/udisks.1.html

To replicate Ubuntu "Safely Remove Device" which performs a umount then a power down is trivial

udisks --unmount /dev/sdb1 && udisks --detach /dev/sdb

Now we don't have udisks but I assume it could be done with hdparm

thoughts?

I decided to try SNAP as I had a little time.  I grabbed it from the web and pulled the .plg file out of the archive and placed it onto my flash drive (boot) in /config/plugins.  I then shutdown unraid and rebooted.  Everything came up but can not find nor see SNAP anywhere.

I am running unRaid 5.0 rc5 with SimpleFeatures installed. The SimpleFeatures log analyzer plugin comes up properly (it is installed also in /config/plugins.

Any advice appreciated.

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

I'm running 4.7

I came across this looking for how to uninstall snap and something about it stuck out to me.

Isn't:

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

part of the default go file and should not be removed?