New Application: S. N. A. P.

You make a fine point however at no point does it say you have to follow the "Install Notes" to the letter or bad things would happen. Even the term "Notes" suggests they are well... notes.

I can definitely live with SNAP going its own way but its not ideal. unRAID addons are already awash with enough quirks and odditys for anyone.

Dont take any of this the wrong way... I have a need that SNAP absolutely scratches and I am fundamentally grateful it exists and that you chose to let other use it at your expense. Kudos for that.

Just consider that if you are altering the fundamental config file of the entire unRAID distro there should be zero chance of SNAP messing it up... which currently there is :)

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You make a fine point however at no point does it say you have to follow the "Install Notes" to the letter or bad things would happen. Even the term "Notes" suggests they are well... notes.

Dude, your talking about a linux system.  Nobody ever says follow the install notes or unexpected things might happen.  Most of the time there's big gaping holes in the so called install instructions.  Mine work.  It's kind of a "if you go rogue, you get what you get".  ;D What can I say?  I tried to make the app smart enough to not do unexpected bad things while it's running.  This is like going off road with your street suv and complaining when it get's stuck in the mud.  Stay on the road.

In his defense, your install did not make a dated backup copy of the original "go" script.  That is an enhancement you should consider making.

Joe L.

What do you need done?

Also whats the proper procedure for the cleanest umount.... Is it a -S then a separate -M

The -S will unshare and unmount.  -M just unmounts.  

The issue with udev is in understanding how it's implemented in slackware and how use it.  I've asked the same question a number of times in this thread and others.  Everyone says it works, noone is willing to say exactly how.  

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=7372.0

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5904.msg71322#msg71322

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=7675.0

Edit:  And http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5904.msg81394#msg81394

I will definitely catch up on those threads and see what I can find.

Random side note have you looked at the commands to power down the disk in the ilk of "ubuntu safely remove drive" fashion. I have been reading about on this as well and it looks very sensible to me.

Edit: as of RC1 you can now use ext3 and ext4 natively

I will definitely catch up on those threads and see what I can find.

Random side note have you looked at the commands to power down the disk in the ilk of "ubuntu safely remove drive" fashion. I have been reading about on this as well and it looks very sensible to me.

Edit: as of RC1 you can now use ext3 and ext4 natively

I've been relying on unMenu for *eject* for internal hard drives. eSata and USB drives support hot unplugging.   For usb flash driives I've either just pull them out or in the case of my camera I have the hot plug script unshare after it copies my pictures.  I'm open to whatever you discover however.

As far as RC1 goes,  I'll be waiting for a proven stable release.  ext3 is going to help me and I'm glad to see it coming.  If anyone is in a hurry to try RC1 with ext3 just change the ext2 to ext3 in snap.sh.  

'ext3')

# mount the partition ...

# Note: It seems that unRAID version of slackware doesn't have the ext3 driver.

#       http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5777.0

#       Joe L. There is no ext3 driver module in unRAID, but if the ext3 file-system

#       was cleanly unmounted, and there are no journal entries to replay, it may be mounted as ext2.

mountOptions="-t ext2"

readonlyflag="-r"

;;

Honestly, I'll probably read your thread...but I feel that there is a manual work around for anyone concerned about unmounting before hot unplugging.  Typically the user knows if the storage is in use when they unplug.  I personally haven't experienced any unpleasent effects.

Solving the udev issue is more interesting to me because currently there is no way to manually work around the problem for connecting my android phone short of powering my phone down, removing battery to get at the flash chip, mounting the chip in a reader and inserting that into the usb slot.  That's a crappy work around.  I was about half way though rewriting SNAP when I ran into that and it's stopped me dead in my tracks.  I came up with a simple scenerio that anyone anywhere could test or help test the udev issue.  What I need is someone who is pretty fluent in the udev implementation on unRAID's slackware.  

Not making any progress on that I instead turned my attention to creating the DVD Decrypter utility that run on Windows.  I've also abandoned my interest in having VMware Server on unRAID and instead built an ESXi machine and am porting virtual machines to that instead.

My long term plan is to have two unRAID machines.  One using 10 green drives for media and backup.  A second one with 4 to 6 fast drives that I'll use mainly for my video editing hobby.  Slowly my current unRAID will evolve from using the 7200.11 drives and become my green system.  Maybe by the time I'm ready to bulid my second system the unRAID on ESXi thread will have ironed out all the issues and I'll get to implement one of my unRAIDs on my ESXi machine.  If not, no biggie.  

Understood. SNAP ticks alot of boxes for me and how i work so I will likely be getting into it alot.

FYI i PM'd Tom re a change in the 2.6.33 kernel that deals with properly removing drives.

There is alot more in snap.sh than I expected so it will take me time to digest.

I got my USB drive mounted and shared but it's read-only? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

root@Tower:/mnt/disk/crashplan# mount

fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)

usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)

/dev/sdh1 on /boot type vfat (rw,noatime,nodiratime,umask=0,shortname=mixed)

/dev/hda1 on /mnt/cache type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr)

/dev/md5 on /mnt/disk5 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr)

/dev/md2 on /mnt/disk2 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr)

/dev/md4 on /mnt/disk4 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr)

/dev/md1 on /mnt/disk1 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr)

/dev/md3 on /mnt/disk3 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr)

/dev/md6 on /mnt/disk6 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr)

shfs on /mnt/user type fuse.shfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,default_permissions)

shfs on /mnt/user0 type fuse.shfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,default_permissions)

/dev/sdi1 on /mnt/disk/crashplan type ntfs (ro,umask=111,dmask=000)

Understood. SNAP ticks alot of boxes for me and how i work so I will likely be getting into it alot.

FYI i PM'd Tom re a change in the 2.6.33 kernel that deals with properly removing drives.

There is alot more in snap.sh than I expected so it will take me time to digest.

The crux of the udev issue I'm facing is that I need to make a rule in the /etc/udev/rules.d folder.  I've tried but the rule is ignored.  Since rules are implemented differently in various linux distros I have to know how it's implemented in unRAID and I need a working example to be able to verify it's working.  That's the help I need.  

Edit:  Ok, I read your thread on removing drives.  It's interesting.  Is it possible to set up buttons in unMenu to run batch commands?  If so then maybe snap.sh could create an Eject button for each Share as it's added. 

Interesting one my Samsung disks show up identically

root@TOWER:/boot/config/snap# ./snap.sh -showusb

usb-08ec_disgo_0DB18951037328C2-0:0
usb-08ec_disgo_0DB18951037328C2-0:0-part1
usb-SAMSUNG_HD103UJ_152D20329000-0:0
usb-SAMSUNG_HD103UJ_152D20329000-0:0-part1

root@TOWER:/boot/config/snap# ./snap.sh -listAvailableDevices
/dev/disk/by-id/usb-08ec_disgo_0DB18951037328C2-0:0
/dev/disk/by-id/usb-SAMSUNG_HD103UJ_152D20329000-0:0

Interesting one my Samsung disks show up identically

root@TOWER:/boot/config/snap# ./snap.sh -showusb

usb-08ec_disgo_0DB18951037328C2-0:0
usb-08ec_disgo_0DB18951037328C2-0:0-part1
usb-SAMSUNG_HD103UJ_152D20329000-0:0
usb-SAMSUNG_HD103UJ_152D20329000-0:0-part1

root@TOWER:/boot/config/snap# ./snap.sh -listAvailableDevices
/dev/disk/by-id/usb-08ec_disgo_0DB18951037328C2-0:0
/dev/disk/by-id/usb-SAMSUNG_HD103UJ_152D20329000-0:0

I don't understand what you are saying.  Your examples show two different drives - right? 

queeg can you look at this

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=903896

it may be possible to restart samba without losing any connections

The meat of that thread is this:

1) First test your configuration file for errors:
# testparm /path/to/smb.conf; echo $?

If it exits '0' you're good to go.

2) Find the parent SMBD
# ps -ef | grep smbd

In the list find the process parented by Init, or process 1. This is the parent smbd daemon to the other servicing children.

#) Issue that pid a SIGHUP:

kill -1 <yourPID>

Done. This is regularly performed and confirmed to work without interruption a Samba cluster hosting thousands of clients.

When I ran ps -ef|grep smbd I got the following.

root@Queeg:~# ps -ef|grep smbd

root      1438     1  0 Nov16 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/smbd -D

root      1441  1438  0 Nov16 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/smbd -D

root      3479  1438  0 06:54 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/smbd -D

root      4966 31952  0 10:35 pts/0    00:00:00 grep smbd

root      7421  1438  0 07:03 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/smbd -D

root     13464  1438  0 Nov24 ?        00:00:22 /usr/sbin/smbd -D

So is it true that killing the one colored green will not also kill each of it's children?  And will it also regenerate a new parent for all the children? 

The crux of the udev issue I'm facing is that I need to make a rule in the /etc/udev/rules.d folder.  I've tried but the rule is ignored.  Since rules are implemented differently in various linux distros I have to know how it's implemented in unRAID and I need a working example to be able to verify it's working.  That's the help I need.  

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udev#About_udev_rules

Have you tried to reload the rules?

udevadm control --reload-rules

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udev#About_udev_rules

Have you tried to reload the rules?

udevadm control --reload-rules

Yes.  To no effect.  Either the rule isn't being run or reload doesn't work.  That's why I want a working example.

• 1 month later...

can i add the drive which is in my dune, into my server, and copy everything to the unraid data 1 disk? , then make that dune disk part of the array too (after setting up a parity drive)

Ok, the requestor wants to copy data from a hard drive currently installed in second machine onto unRAID but not do it across the network. Instead connect the drive up in the unRAID server and copy disk to disk which is much faster.  In this case, he wants to use SNAP to mount the foreign drive.  And then after the data is copied then wants to add the new drive to the unRAID array.  So essentially, adding the drive to SNAP, copying the data, removing from SNAP, and the preclear the drive to ready it for unRAID use.  

The major steps would be:

1. Install SNAP on the unRAID server.

2. Connect the dune disk in the unRAID server.  

Shutdown server and install hard drive.

3. Add the dune disk to SNAP.

Telnet into the unRAID server and cd into the /boot/config/snap folder.  

Run ./snap.sh -a [serialnumber] [sharename]

Read How to Assign drives to Snap section on first page of this thread.  Simple process but you have to discover the hard drives serial number and that's mostly what the procedure explains how to do.

4. Copy data from dune disk to the unRAID data disk.

There are a variety of ways to do this but the most effecient is to telnet into the unRAID server and run some copy command from the command line.

From the unRAID command line the dune disk will be located at:  /mnt/disk/[sharename]

and the unRAID arrays disks will be located at: /mnt/disk1 or /mnt/disk2 and so on  

and the unRAID array user shares are located at: /mnt/user/

5. Verify all your data is copied.

I use Beyond Compare which is a folder comparison tool that runs on Windows but you have to decide how to do this.

EDIT:  Wow, they have a linux version now!

6. Remove the dune disk from SNAP.

Telnet to unRAID.  CD to /boot/config/snap folder.  

Run ./snap.sh -M [sharename]

Run ./snap.sh -r [sharename]

7. Preclear the dune disk to make it ready to be used in unRAID array.

can i add the drive which is in my dune, into my server, and copy everything to the unraid data 1 disk? , then make that dune disk part of the array too (after setting up a parity drive)

Ok, the requestor wants to copy data from a hard drive currently installed in second machine onto unRAID but not do it across the network. Instead connect the drive up in the unRAID server and copy disk to disk which is much faster.  In this case, he wants to use SNAP to mount the foreign drive.  And then after the data is copied then wants to add the new drive to the unRAID array.  So essentially, adding the drive to SNAP, copying the data, removing from SNAP, and the preclear the drive to ready it for unRAID use.  

The major steps would be:

1. Install SNAP on the unRAID server.

2. Connect the dune disk in the unRAID server.  

Shutdown server and install hard drive.

3. Add the dune disk to SNAP.

Telnet into the unRAID server and cd into the /boot/config/snap folder.  

Run ./snap.sh -a [serialnumber] [sharename]

Read How to Assign drives to Snap section on first page of this thread.  Simple process but you have to discover the hard drives serial number and that's mostly what the procedure explains how to do.

4. Copy data from dune disk to the unRAID data disk.

There are a variety of ways to do this but the most effecient is to telnet into the unRAID server and run some copy command from the command line.

From the unRAID command line the dune disk will be located at:  /mnt/disk/[sharename]

and the unRAID arrays disks will be located at: /mnt/disk1 or /mnt/disk2 and so on  

and the unRAID array user shares are located at: /mnt/user/

5. Verify all your data is copied.

I use Beyond Compare which is a folder comparison tool that runs on Windows but you have to decide how to do this.

EDIT:  Wow, they have a linux version now!

6. Remove the dune disk from SNAP.

Telnet to unRAID.  CD to /boot/config/snap folder.  

Run ./snap.sh -M [sharename]

Run ./snap.sh -r [sharename]

7. Preclear the dune disk to make it ready to be used in unRAID array.

This is 100% safe? and relatively easy to do?

Also i have used the hdd which is in the dune now, for system storage..

its formats the drive to 2 partitions in ext2/ext3 format

one for system storage, and for the data which i want to copy now

explanation system storage on dune

dune_service_make_system_storage_on_hdd_partition.dsf

Reformats am empty HDD to two partitions, and initializes System Storage on one of these partitions, w/o reinstalling the firmware.

NOTE: Using this service on 1.0/2.0 models will correctly initialize System Storage, but will not install Extra Applications; Extra Applications can be installed later by updating/reinstalling the firmware.

NOTE: The HDD intended to be reformatted by this service must be empty and must contain just single partition or no partitions at all (and this HDD must be the only such a HDD attached to the player). If it is not empty or contains several partitions, reformat it first (e.g. using the player built-in format function: choose HDD in the main menu, press INFO RC button, choose "Format Disk").

NOTE: This service reformats the HDD to two partitions (one using 2GB and second using the rest of HDD), and initializes the first 2GB partition as System Storage. The second partition is NOT formatted by this service; if you want to format it (and you probably do), you can format it e.g. using the player built-in format function: choose the HDD in the main menu, press INFO RC button, choose "Format Partition").

my question now is, before i start with snap, is this a problem?