APC UPS with Network Card - Help! (RESOLVED)

I think I had to change the passphrase such that it was 15 characters or more and didnt have spaces... So I made it "admin-user-phrase" instead of "admin user phrase"... 

Authentication Phrase
Sets the case-sensitive phrase of 15 to 32 ASCII characters to be used for PowerChute communication. The default setting is "admin user phrase" for Administrator.
  • Upvote 1
  • Zangief changed the title to APC UPS with Network Card - Help! (RESOLVED)
6 hours ago, Zangief said:

I think I had to change the passphrase such that it was 15 characters or more and didnt have spaces... So I made it "admin-user-phrase" instead of "admin user phrase"... 

Authentication Phrase
Sets the case-sensitive phrase of 15 to 32 ASCII characters to be used for PowerChute communication. The default setting is "admin user phrase" for Administrator.

Glad it worked out.  If you want to try SNMP change DEVICE to '192.168.1.25:161:APC:private' and UPSTYPE 'snmp'.  The PCnet driver seems to be producing most if not all the info, SNMP may not get you anything more than you already have.

• 1 year later...

Guys,

Sorry for bring this thread back up but im struggling getting Unraid to talk to my APC 1500 2u rack UPS over ethernet.  I can talk to the UPS via its webpage at 192.168.1.60 and i can pig the device etc, but the UPS settings page in Unraid seems to refuse to see the UPS.  I also dont seem to see any errors in the UPS log that i would expect if a password was wrong, so im not sure if Unraid is even trying to talk to the UPS.  I had setup the passphrase as "admin-user-phrase" within the ups and then have this under device in unraid "192.168.1.60:apc:admin-user-phrase".   Its setup as Ether and have tried pcnet and SNMP.  What am i missing?  Thanks des.

Edited by Dieseldes
3 hours ago, Dieseldes said:

Guys,

Sorry for bring this thread back up but im struggling getting Unraid to talk to my APC 1500 2u rack UPS over ethernet.  I can talk to the UPS via its webpage at 192.168.1.60 and i can pig the device etc, but the UPS settings page in Unraid seems to refuse to see the UPS.  I also dont seem to see any errors in the UPS log that i would expect if a password was wrong, so im not sure if Unraid is even trying to talk to the UPS.  I had setup the passphrase as "admin-user-phrase" within the ups and then have this under device in unraid "192.168.1.60:apc:admin-user-phrase".   Its setup as Ether and have tried pcnet and SNMP.  What am i missing?  Thanks des.

From this post

SNMP Config

UPSCABLE ether

UPSTYPE snmp

DEVICE 192.168.1.60:161:APC:private

PCnet Config

UPSCABLE ether

UPSTYPE pcnet 

DEVICE 192.168.1.60:apc:admin-user-phrase

The above is assuming defaults and the 'admin-user-phrase' is what you changed it to from the default (not the user interface login).  Once configured do a restart of apcupsd or reboot.  If still doesn't work and your UPS is new, try the NUT plugin.  APC may have changed their protocol.  Suggest starting a new thread.

9 minutes ago, unevent said:

From this post

SNMP Config

UPSCABLE ether

UPSTYPE snmp

DEVICE 192.168.1.60:161:APC:private

PCnet Config

UPSCABLE ether

UPSTYPE pcnet 

DEVICE 192.168.1.60:apc:admin-user-phrase

The above is assuming defaults and the 'admin-user-phrase' is what you changed it to from the default (not the user interface login).  Once configured do a restart of apcupsd or reboot.  If still doesn't work and your UPS is new, try the NUT plugin.  APC may have changed their protocol.  Suggest starting a new thread.

Thanks very much for the feedback.. A server reboot got it running 100%!  Now i just need to do a power fail and see how it actually acts.  I have the system running off 250AH worth of external batteries so it could take some time before it needs to actually shut down.  Cheers Des

• 4 weeks later...

What's the purpose of doing this over just using the USB cable?

I didn't see this page and gave up using network UPS setup for UnRaid. I just recently installed a Smart-Online 1500 double conversion UPS. I just used the USB and have the network management card purely for remote management and notifications from the UPS. I see load still isn't shown in the above so I'm just wondering what the advantage is over simply using the USB cable.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I know this is an old topic, but it came up when I was searching and attempting to figure out what I needed to do to setup my APC and Unraid server.

I have an APC SmartUps 1000 RM with NMC. 

I to had failed numerous times and configurations.  It wasn't until I setup a trap itself before everything started working.

image.png.bea57499dcfa582675cc0c662b01f2ba.png

After the trap was configured, I was able to use the default settings that were identified in the Unraid settings screen:

image.thumb.png.a1f242760a7df550398c688677e49ab1.png

After plugging the settings in as described in the SMTP help screen, it connected without issue:

image.thumb.png.b0cd02d3cea0ac82196e32ba9fbc1ecb.png

I hope this helps the next person because reading through this didn't seem to provide any details that I could find on how to set this up.

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I know this is not exactly on topic but since people have discussed the apcupsd daemon here and I couldn't find an answer to my question anywhere else, I thought I might try.
My apcupsd daemon runs on Windows 10, and it is monitoring an APC UPS on my Unraid server.
How do I set once and for all my Unraid's IP address as the target on the apcupsd daemon on Windows?
After each reboot on my PC I need to go the the configuration panel and switch from 127.0.0.1 to my Unraid's IP address. After that all is fine until the next reboot.
I tried to make sense of the apcupsd.conf file and online help to no avail.

Thanks

33 minutes ago, xtrips said:

Hello,

I know this is not exactly on topic but since people have discussed the apcupsd daemon here and I couldn't find an answer to my question anywhere else, I thought I might try.
My apcupsd daemon runs on Windows 10, and it is monitoring an APC UPS on my Unraid server.
How do I set once and for all my Unraid's IP address as the target on the apcupsd daemon on Windows?
After each reboot on my PC I need to go the the configuration panel and switch from 127.0.0.1 to my Unraid's IP address. After that all is fine until the next reboot.
I tried to make sense of the apcupsd.conf file and online help to no avail.

Thanks

Edit the apcupsd configuration file on the windows box

UPSTYPE net

DEVICE  <unraidip>:3551

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Before i launch this NMC out the...

unRaid w/ Network UPS Tools (NUT) w/SNMP = no joy

unRiad w/o Network UPS Tools (NUT) w/SNMP = missing "NOMINAL POWER, UPS LOAD"

pfSense w/ Network UPS Tools (NUT) w/SNMP = joy 

someone please explain, pfSense w/ Network UPS Tools (NUT) w/SNMP settings are dead simple. Maybe need help with the settings for unRaid w/ Network UPS Tools (NUT) w/SNMP.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

For anyone still struggling with getting an APC UPS to connect with Unraid using a Network Management Card (like I did for the last couple of hours...), this might help:

in the newer interface of the NMS, setting the user and passphrase for PCnet is done at: Configuration > Shutdown

Very hard miss in my opinion.

• 1 year later...

Late to the party!

I have the same setup, and am trying to use the NMC3 card because I will have two Unraid servers in my rack.

I've got it working via the PCnet driver, and it gets information back and shuts down at the appropriate time. However, I cannot get the Turn off UPS after shutdown option in the Unraid configuration to work. This is of relevance to me, because I want my UPS to come back on automatically after restoration of utility so that my server can also come back on automatically after restoration of of the UPS.

Update: I've also tested it over SNMP. Everything but the UPS powerdown works there too.

If anyone has any insight on getting this element to work, it would be appreciated!

Edited by VanGoghComplex
2 minutes ago, VanGoghComplex said:

my server can also come back on automatically after restoration of of the UPS

I strongly recommend not doing this. There are many reasons, but the most important in my mind is the need to evaluate the entire situation before allowing the server to come back up. If you are not on site to make that evaluation, there very well may be circumstances that you are not aware.