Norco 4224 Thread

Guest Jomp

Received an email from Norco an hour ago, I called them back to make sure i understood. I have to take the chassis apart get the backplanes out and then mail them on my dime to them. Once they receive they will mail me back new ones. This is going to cost me 3 weeks (priceless) and a chassis that does not pull out of a rack at the end of the day and its cost is rising...

Thoughts / Suggestions?

Madburg,

Why not just try to send the item back to place of purchase rather than deal with the manufacturer? If you received the item defective, then that should be the fastest and probably cheapest solution. Places like Newegg and Amazon cover shipping charges on defective items.

Lev

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Received an email from Norco an hour ago, I called them back to make sure i understood. I have to take the chassis apart get the backplanes out and then mail them on my dime to them. Once they receive they will mail me back new ones. This is going to cost me 3 weeks (priceless) and a chassis that does not pull out of a rack at the end of the day and its cost is rising...

Thoughts / Suggestions?

Madburg,

Why not just try to send the item back to place of purchase rather than deal with the manufacturer? If you received the item defective, then that should be the fastest and probably cheapest solution. Places like Newegg and Amazon cover shipping charges on defective items.

Lev

I purchased from NewEgg, I started with the manf. because I thought it was just a drive tray... They requested I do not RMA, I will wait on the new backplanes to come in, if any one of the 4 comes back less then 100% I will be sending back RMA'ing to newegg.

After much deliberation, I have purchased the following fans for my 4224:

Rear:

2 x Nexus PWM Series SP802512H-03PWM 80mm Case Fan, if fitment or anything else does not workout I ordered a set of 2 x ARCTIC COOLING ACF8 Pro PWM 80mm Case Fan as a backup and will return one of these sets

Mid-Plate:

3 x Nexus PWM Series D12SL-12PWM 120mm Case Fan

I worked of the specs I posted earlier of the stock Delta's that were supplied with the chassis (CFMs, dB levels, etc..). And the MB recommendation to stick with 3 or 4 pin fans for the fan headers but not to mix the two. The stock Xeon CPU cooler is already a 4 Pin PWM. Dont know much about the Nexus brand but seemed to fit the bill. I dont care about the fan body colors, etc... I will report back once I receive them and have them installed.

I just got my 4224.

~drools!~

now if only UPS dropped off the rest of my order today. Instead they decided to torture me and make me wait until Monday for the  SAS cables and other components i need to fire it up.

I did not know the 4 middle fan were quick release! nowhere was that in the specs. that makes getting my fat paws into the back-plane area a lot easier. i was planning on mounting the fans on the inside of the fan plate for more room, if I do that i'll either loose the quick release, or end up with the cable slot for the back-plane power on the wrong side. i don't think I'll do that now if these fans are really quiet.

I can confirm the egg is shipping the gen2 with no USB on the front and 4 mid fans.

It looks a lot cleaner without the USB. but, it was a nice feature to have for  quickly plugging in a thumb-drive or other removable media, USB DVD or thumb for OS installs or re-imaging the OS. Not so important for unRaid.

Monday I'll transplant my SUPERMICRO MBD-X7SPA-HF-O Mini ITX into it, add an MV8 card, and shove my drives into it.

Right now I only have 10 drives for it, I'll have to upgrade my mother board soon enough to use all 24 bays.

One change I did notice in my 4224 that is different from the ones others have recently received.

The green ribbon cables only just come into the chassis in front of the fan plate and end.

They then are on extension cables similar to normal front panel headers. They then come in through the middle holes where you would run your SAS cables.

I know a few people had complained about the ribbons not plugging into some mobo headers correctly. I guess this was the fix?

One change I did notice in my 4224 that is different from the ones others have recently received.

The green ribbon cables only just come into the chassis in front of the fan plate and end.

They then are on extension cables similar to normal front panel headers. They then come in through the middle holes where you would run your SAS cables.

I know a few people had complained about the ribbons not plugging into some mobo headers correctly. I guess this was the fix?

Yep. I noticed this as well on the one I just purchased a few weeks ago from newegg. Now its just like installing the case control/light cables on a normal case.

I wanted to share some thoughts on cable organization in the Norco 4224 (most of these should work for the 4220 as well):

The big picture.  I always just bundle up the unused PSU cables right in front of the unit.

2rTeg.jpg

Zip tying the front panel connectors together helps keep them all behaving like a single cable.

2iI9N.jpg

The 120 mm fans are great for cable organization.  Wrapping the front panel connector cables around the fan a single time uses up just enough slack to make them just the right length.

aXcAs.jpg

I also zip tied the PSU cables to each other and to the heatsink.

40xrf.jpg

Finally, this is one way to use up all the slack in the cheap 1m breakout cables without coiling them too tightly.

dTrux.jpg

Thanks Rajahal, does are not the "front panel connector cables" mine came with. I will get some pictures and post to share. My are ULTRA thin ribbon cables with large connectors at the end, that is why getting them to fit side by side on the motherboard without bending pins is not possible. I figured out why the NIC leds were not working, had to reverse the connector (which sucks as now you can not keep them tight you will see what I mean when I post the pictures), some how Norco got this wrong. As all the + pins are on one side and - on the other, and unless you twist the connector no LED activity. My preference is to have them both connected. Will be running ESXi and prefer that I see link activity.

My 4 replacement backplanes are due tomorrow... they were shipped nice and slow via ground shipping.

I wanted to share some thoughts on cable organization in the Norco 4224 (most of these should work for the 4220 as well):

Interesting...

Personally, I would not have attached the power harness to the CPU cooler. I might have even routed the SAS snakes away from the CPU. I like as much airflow around the bits that get hot.

More then once I have had to open up someones PC because there was a wire rubbing on a fan making a noise or even stopping a fan.

Unfortunately, while there is a lot of room in a norco, there are no brackets or tabs cable management.

Since you do a lot of builds, You might look at some of these http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10520&cs_id=1052006&p_id=5860&seq=1&format=2

that might also prevent anything shifting in shipping. I have had UPS drop PC's so hard, they ripped the CPU heatsinks off.

Other then that, drool.. I'll take that build  :) . What is the 3rd SATA card you have in there other then the 2 Supermicro units? I need to pick up a card still for drives 23 & 24.

Thanks Rajahal, does are not the "front panel connector cables" mine came with.

Yeah, These seem to be the new way Norco is shipping these out. I guess  to many people had the Issues you had. I just got 2 from the Egg this last week like this.

I like to tie as many cables down as possible so that they don't bounce around during shipping.  For a home build, it wouldn't be necessary to use quite so many zip ties, or to tie cables to something like the heatsink.  I agree that I don't really like the fat SAS cables blocking airflow on the middle 120 mm fan, but that was they way they came preformed in the package.  The cables are so stiff that I worry that if I were to bend them the other way they might put too much pressure on their connections with the SASLP cards.  Maybe some day I'll be able to find some shorter cables... .2 or .3 m should be just about right.

I've tried a few of the cable anchors similar to the ones you linked but I've found that the adhesive doesn't stick to the slick metal on the inside of the Norco cases very well.  I'll try the ones you linked and see if they fare any better.

The 2 port card is made by SIIG and came as a free gift with the Norco case and the SAS cables in a recent Newegg bundle.  The card is now discontinued, so I'm having trouble finding a link to it.  I wouldn't recommend it anyway, at it's normal price it is too expensive (around $50).  The cheap SIL3132 card from Monoprice is my go-to 2 port card.

Personally, I have never used the monoprice ones. they might be just as faulty. I was going to order some. but, they are out of stock ATM.

I have used some with 3M backing, those never came off. I think it came with one of Corsair power supplies?

Monoprice also sells a larger "footprint" pad there. those might stick better in the end. more mounting/glue surface.

Also, a mobo standoff with a screw in the top if it can come in handy for a cable management point.

I dislike SIIG anyways. Overpriced and unreliable with zero tech support in my experience. thanks for the answer.

I'll try and get some shots of my Norcos online today or tomorrow to try and keep on topic.

That is a good point.

My norcos are quite "oily" inside. They smelled of machine oil and left a residue on my hands and paper towel.

I'll assume that is part of the industrial flair.

I did wipe mine down before I started my build

Maybe it was a fluke? I'm sure you have seen a lot more of these things then I have.

one of mine had a thin oily film in it. I wiped the inside with a paper towel and they came out  a dingy gray and had that machine shop smell. to me.. it smelled like.. like victory...

the outside was spotless and had the protective film on it.

the other one is back in the shipping box. i didn't pop open the case, I only opened it to make sure it was not visibly damaged in shipping. that one is for a rainy day project. ~looks out his window~

I'm not complaining. I love my 4224's so far. but it is good to know that is "not normal".

Thanks Rajahal, does are not the "front panel connector cables" mine came with.

Yeah, These seem to be the new way Norco is shipping these out. I guess  to many people had the Issues you had. I just got 2 from the Egg this last week like this.

Sorry confused, are the cables I am referring to, the ones that are shipping. Or are the new ones that Rajahal has in the pictures above? I purchased mine from newegg as well.

I have some of those like in the monoprice link, dont remember where I got them, maybe Lowe's or Electric store... But once I find them and test (alcohol wipe is a must for anyof these stick on's) I will share my results.

Sorry confused, are the cables I am referring to, the ones that are shipping. Or are the new ones that Rajahal has in the pictures above? I purchased mine from newegg as well.

Sorry, the ones Rajahal posted are how they come now. I think that was how Norco is making sure the problem you have is eleminated.

the funny thing, mine came labled as "USB". I'm gessing it is a cable off another  case.

Sorry, the ones Rajahal posted are how they come now. I think that was how Norco is making sure the problem you have is eleminated.

the funny thing, mine came labled as "USB". I'm gessing it is a cable off another  case.

Sh%t I am inches from sending mine back. Going tired of these issues, swaps, changes (venting here).

• Guest changed the title to Norco 4224 Thread