Norco 4224 Thread

Guest Jomp

It looks like Norco got a seriously bad batch of backplanes and was pretty much overwhelmed with RMAs and problems. they even stopped selling servers for almost a month while they changed to these new yellow backplane servers.

I have heard very few complaints about the new run of server Chassis.

They are cheaply made but are intended for the home enthusiast, not a production data center. They do the job for home use fine when they work... you do have to mod them slightly to take a bite out of the fan noise if using them in the home.

Received my 4224 directly from Norco in California. I've done a build using the parts list from Greenleaf Prototype Build 24 Drive Beast. Easy to assemble - boy there is lot of room in that case! Nice. Booted right up first time. Tested the drive bays 4 at a time and I guess I'm lucky because all backplanes work fine. Replaced all the fans with Noctua fans (used headers on motherboard) and the case is now very, very quiet. The screaming delta fans that come with the case are too funny. Swapping fans took 15 minutes.

First attempts at preclear rebooted system after 30 seconds. Ran memtest and sure enough ram crapped out. Hmmm. Moved my two sticks from the black slots to the blue slots and memtest ran for 14 hours perfectly. I guess there is a difference between the slots. Whatever, seems to work.

Am currently preclearing  WD 1-3T (for parity), WD 3-2TB and a couple beater 80GB drives (just to stress the backplanes a little more). So all WD Green drives are running at or below 40C. The two beaters precleared fast but ran super hot for the first step (50-60C). For the next round I'm going to pull the beater drives as I don't want to cook the backplanes.

Thus far I am very impressed: hardware and software installation was a snap! Glad I didn't go the tower route.

Cheers, EarthImage

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to check if I was missing something on the power supply with a Norco 4224.  Using the same high end Corsair PS from my old box, (and a decent generic just to try something else).  If I everything fires up until I plug any of the molex plugs into the backplanes.  Only 1 plug per backplane, in fact I have tried just one plug to backplane 1, then 1 plug to backplane 2 etc.  Anything plugged into the backplanes prevents the computer from powering up.  Get a momentary fan spin then off.

Sounds like it is bad backplanes as noted previously, but I was hoping someone could point out any obvious errors I might be making.  Thanks!

I just wanted to check if I was missing something on the power supply with a Norco 4224.  Using the same high end Corsair PS from my old box, (and a decent generic just to try something else).  If I everything fires up until I plug any of the molex plugs into the backplanes.  Only 1 plug per backplane, in fact I have tried just one plug to backplane 1, then 1 plug to backplane 2 etc.  Anything plugged into the backplanes prevents the computer from powering up.  Get a momentary fan spin then off.

Sounds like it is bad backplanes as noted previously, but I was hoping someone could point out any obvious errors I might be making.  Thanks!

That's pretty weird, I would definitely suggest trying a different power supply and seeing what happens.  You can run a weak power supply with no hard drives attached and see if you can at least get the PC to POST.

Thanks, but I've tried two high end Corsair 750W PS's and a solid generic 650, all 3 of which work fine in other builds.  Pretty sure it isn't the PS.  WIth all the backplane warnings here, I am pretty sure it is the backplane, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something as there is no manual with the Norco and for instance I didn't know that you only needed to power one connector per backplane.

Thanks, but I've tried two high end Corsair 750W PS's and a solid generic 650, all 3 of which work fine in other builds.  Pretty sure it isn't the PS.  WIth all the backplane warnings here, I am pretty sure it is the backplane, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something as there is no manual with the Norco and for instance I didn't know that you only needed to power one connector per backplane.

This is probably just a dumb thing to mention, but you have tried different cables to actually connect the backplanes, right?

What have people done here for power cables to the backplane?  Right now I have 1 NORCO 7-1 cable connecting all the backplanes (as I have ~14 drives), however I'm eager to hear how everyone else has done it.

Be a bit careful with those cables.. they are really cheaply made and the pins tend to push out while plugging them into the backplanes..

I did use those in the past and swapped them out for home made cables after about a year.

Is this with the drive sleds in place (with drives)?

is this with the SAS cables installed?

If I understand. the system works peachy fine until ANY single or multiple backplane comes into play?

What have people done here for power cables to the backplane?  Right now I have 1 NORCO 7-1 cable connecting all the backplanes (as I have ~14 drives), however I'm eager to hear how everyone else has done it.

Be a bit careful with those cables.. they are really cheaply made and the pins tend to push out while plugging them into the backplanes..

I did use those in the past and swapped them out for home made cables after about a year.

Yeah I'm looking to make some custom cables too, ... which makes sense... I don't have a crimper but I suppose there is no time like the present to order some components and get to work here.  Is there components you would suggest I use for making these custom connectors?

I'm using two of the modular Seasonic cables as well to power all six backplanes. I didn't have a spare cable around, but the Seasonic support was kind enough to send me two additional cables for free. Great to experience such a fantastic customer service in this day and age!

is it possible to convert a 4220 to 4224 if you get 4 more drive inserts, 1 backplane and the front faceplate?  I am not sure about screw holes on the side to hold the stuff.

I already have a extra backplane - i would think the bottom, sides and back would be the same between the two...

I can take a pic when I get home from work of one of the sides if someone could compare to the 24 bay version - i would be grateful :)

Thanks

Myk

is it possible to convert a 4220 to 4224 if you get 4 more drive inserts, 1 backplane and the front faceplate?  I am not sure about screw holes on the side to hold the stuff.

I already have a extra backplane - i would think the bottom, sides and back would be the same between the two...

I can take a pic when I get home from work of one of the sides if someone could compare to the 24 bay version - i would be grateful :)

Thanks

Myk

the short answer is no..

long  answer.. anything is possible with time and money. but you need a face plate,  another entire layer for to drive bay assembly, another 4 caddies, the backplane, the backplane mounting clips X3, a bunch of really hard to source screws, and then umm .. yeah.. not to mention you need the assembly for the backplane you already have. they changed with the  different model of backplanes. they might not have them if it is an older unit.

even if norco sold all of the parts individually, It would probably cost as much as a new chassis.

I guess you could always call their sales dept and ask if they could get you a "kit" to make the upgrade.

you might be able to mount 4 drives internal with minor modding so it is 20 swappable and 4 hard mounted...

@OGI, not at all dumb.  One of the first things I tried.  Finally got a new set of backplanes, still the green ones, but everything fired right up just fine now.

Next problem is drives run awfully hot.  Repopulating the RAID with backup files and most are over 42 and a couple at 47.  Think I saw some suggested fan replacements.  Have to be quieter, even if not cooler.

I built custom cables for mine, I have runs going down each backplane connecting the Molex. I have both sets of Molex powered on my system. I also took the time to seriously shorten the power leads to the mobo on my system. This last was a huge PITA and it would likely be worthwhile to order a custom shortened cable vs spending half a night cutting, tracing, soldering, and heat shrinking. My cables are far from perfect but all power plugs are powered and there's lots less crap inside the case. I also went with some fairly short SAS cables for my 3 M1015s to clean things up. I have 1 SSD and a regular 3.5inch drive inside my case too, not really "mounted" :o

I built custom cables for mine, I have runs going down each backplane connecting the Molex. I have both sets of Molex powered on my system. I also took the time to seriously shorten the power leads to the mobo on my system. This last was a huge PITA and it would likely be worthwhile to order a custom shortened cable vs spending half a night cutting, tracing, soldering, and heat shrinking. My cables are far from perfect but all power plugs are powered and there's lots less crap inside the case. I also went with some fairly short SAS cables for my 3 M1015s to clean things up. I have 1 SSD and a regular 3.5inch drive inside my case too, not really "mounted" :o

I have the 1 SSD not really mounted as well... thinking of relocating my parity drive inside the case as well...

I would love to be able to buy some custom cables, but I really haven't seen anything that would work all that well.  Would totally be willing to pay money for someone to make some cables haha.

I only mention this because I saw the tread come up again.  I have absolutely nothing to do with this company other than being a satisfied customer.

I recently found these guys when shopping for a rack to put my 4224 in.  They turned out to be the least expensive place I could find it and they also have a good price on the case too.  Their shipping is also reasonable and fast. 

http://www.ayagroup.com/product.php?productid=18564&page=1

http://www.ayagroup.com/product.php?productid=18591&page=1

I only mention this because I saw the tread come up again.  I have absolutely nothing to do with this company other than being a satisfied customer.

I recently found these guys when shopping for a rack to put my 4224 in.  They turned out to be the least expensive place I could find it and they also have a good price on the case too.  Their shipping is also reasonable and fast. 

http://www.ayagroup.com/product.php?productid=18564&page=1

http://www.ayagroup.com/product.php?productid=18591&page=1

Thanks for these links, just ordered the rack and the shelves.  Guess I'm going to have to ebay the rails I already had.

• 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...

is it possible to convert a 4220 to 4224 ...

Just FYI... I do not recommend this modification, but this is how I added four more drives into Norco 4020:

I had the original fans bracket (4 x 80mm fans) swapped for 3 x 120 mm bracket, so the original bracket was not used. I installed the original bracket horizontally just behind the fans bracket (drilled 3 holes in each of the case sides), above the motherboard, low enough to place the four additional drives horizontally on top of the bracket, and still have about an inch of air gap above the drives. It was somewhat tight fit between the fans bracket and the PSU, but it worked.

I did this because I already had 4020 and did not want to spend $$ on 4224 and the cables. And did not want waiting. Today I would probably prefer 4224, but, as it often happens, this temporary solution already became, it seems, permanent one.

I don't recommend the mod for two reasons: first, I have to open the case to access these additional drives. Second and more important, all four additional drives, despite being directly in the airflow from the fans in midcase bracket, still consistently run about 3-5 degrees Celsius hotter than drives installed "normally" in the cages.

On the other hand, my Norco 4020 now holds 23 data drives + parity + cache - total 25 3.5" drives, plus one 2.5" drive for extras... so I'm reasonably happy with it.  :D

• 8 months later...

Has anyone purchased a Norco 4224 from IPC Direct?

http://www.ipcdirect.net/servlet/Detail?no=252

If so, is it the newest version?  I'm guessing it would be because this is Norco's store....but just wanted to double-check.  I currently own the original 4224 and wanted to build a new server....as I am having backpane issues with mine.....

Many thanks!

i use a corsair h-105 in push pull and a i5820k works pretty cool, about 41°C on prime with stock Norco 120mm fans, but i replace them asap with 3 Noctua NF-F12 PWM fans.

H2HURX.jpg

FLe6mT.jpg

• 4 months later...

Have any Norco 4420 & 4224 modded the case for EATX support? From what I can tell my current EEB board and the EATX board i'm looking to replace it with are exactly the same dimensions. The only difference I can see is in the standoff hole locations between the 2 form factors.

My plan is to tap/drill the holes required for the EATX motherboard and I wanted to see if anyone else had done the same.

• Guest changed the title to Norco 4224 Thread