Cheap SATA controller for virtualized unraid? (ESX 6.5)

Hi all, 

I am running unraid 6.3.3 under ESX 6.5 and have run out of onboard sata ports to add new drives to my unraid server. 

I have done a whole ton of searching on what the best PCIe sata controller but haven't found much clarity about what is best- especially for virtualized deployments. 

Does any one know some good 4 port options, or at-least one that will work without issue? I do not care about the speed too much. 

Before anyone asks, I use ESX for my homelab for work - this is why i have opted to not use the virtualization support in unraid. Everything has been working seamlessly.

Thanks for any advice!

Edited by mustava
24 minutes ago, mustava said:

Hi all, 

I am running unraid 6.3.3 under ESX 6.5 and have run out of onboard sata ports to add new drives to my unraid server. 

I have done a whole ton of searching on what the best PCIe sata controller but haven't found much clarity about what is best- especially for virtualized deployments. 

Does any one know some good 4 port options, or at-least one that will work without issue? I do not care about the speed too much. 

Before anyone asks, I use ESX for my homelab for work - this is why i have opted to not use the virtualization support in unraid. Everything has been working seamlessly.

Thanks for any advice!

i'm on esxi, and my IBM1015 works just fine. if you pass-through card to unRAID VM, i think every card will work if it works on bare-metal unRAID..