Finally Building My Own Rig

Hi all, 

Ive been running a dell t20 with 7 Drives in it! Ive kept upgrading these now running 6tb reds and still running outta space! 

So ive wanted for a while to replace this with my own build rig naturally its over the top for what i need kinda future proofed i would hope! Only thing is a need some advice on a Hba card or 2 as the case has 6 mini sas ports im interested in connecting using a card connecting it to my motherboard that way as apposed to all the sata ports even then would need more ports due to my case bein 24 drives! I built a computer before but this was many yrs ago now and that was just a desktop! 

OS at time of building:Already running a unraid machine
CPU:2 x Intel - Xeon E5-2670 2.6GHz 8-Core Processor  
Motherboard:Asus - Z9PA-D8 ATX Dual-CPU LGA2011  
RAM:2 x Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  
Case:X-Case EXtra Value RM 424 - 24 Hotswap Bays  
Power Supply:EVGA - SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000W 80+ Platinum  

Parity Drive:2 x Seagate - IronWolf Pro 10TB  
Data Drives:2 x Seagate - IronWolf Pro 10TB, 5 x 6TB WD Red, Bunch of other drives ive replaced with bigger ones overtime  
Cache Drive:Sandisk - Ultra II 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  
Total Drive Capacity:Alot will edit for final figure once ive found an added all drives to array!  

Primary Use:I will use this to house media files a copy of important files (another copy elsewhere! never rely on one place for important files!!!)  

I will edit an add pictures comments etc as i go along! I have the majority of parts already i am just waiting on the case! 

Any comments are appreciated

Edited by xxricksterxx

most of the LSI 8-port controllers use 2 4-port SAS connectors on each, so 3 of those would fix you up for all 24 drive bays.

The Dell PERC H2xx or H3xx controllers are affordable via eBay and you just need to flash them to IT mode to allow unRAID to use them normally. I've also not had bad luck with the Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 HBAs which are ready to use out of the box, but some folks have had some issues.  I'm running a 24-drive server at the moment using 3 of those and six SAS cables.  It beats 20 or 24 SATA cables which I have in a couple of other unRAID builds.

What is your budget for this build? Are you limited being the UK as to where you can buy parts from? Sorry to say but that case looks plastic, I hope the drive trays are decent quality, but as I said, if you are limited to your choice then that is too bad. As Bman says, the Dell H2xx or H3xx controller flashed to IT mode work well, I have an H310 in my server and I've had no problems with it.

Do you have a backup strategy for the data going on this server?

Hi bman & ashman70 

Sadly im hoping not to have to spend anymore atm on this build if i can help it I have already bought the case jus awaiting delivery atm. I did have a look around an being in the uk there wasnt a great deal around specially as i wanted a rackmount case. Ive just ordered some H310 an will flash them once ive got it up an running. 

The data is mainly going to be all my movies tv shows etc as im running 2 parity drives im hopeful it wont completely fail! Anything i do actually care about an want will be on the server and backed upto a very small hp microserver with a couple of h/ds as well as online in the cloud.

14 hours ago, xxricksterxx said:

The data is mainly going to be all my movies tv shows etc as im running 2 parity drives im hopeful it wont completely fail! Anything i do actually care about an want will be on the server and backed upto a very small hp microserver with a couple of h/ds as well as online in the cloud.

I don't run ECC on my unRAID servers (well, one of them at work I do just because that's what was given to me to run with) and I don't run dual parity either. unRAID is stable and really good at keeping data safe, so long as you keep on top of drive failures.

The File Integrity plugin is great if you want to be extra certain your files are staying intact as time passes by.  It is most useful when you have two copies of your data, however, as it reports failures, not imminent problems.

For TV & movies that you can rip again, no worries. Chances are great the file will still play through a few bit shifts, and if it doesn't you've got backups at hand anyway.

Edited by bman
spelling

I know its alot of cpu for a Nas i will be using it for dockers sonarr, radarr, sab, plex etc u get the idea plus running a couple of vms

Thanks for having a quick look i havnt got round to it yet! still waiting on the case quite frustrating!

I will check out the file integrity plugin as well!