[Support] Djoss - CloudBerry Backup

40 minutes ago, Djoss said:

Also, is the option "Always keep the last version" selected?

What is the time/date of the files not being in backup?  Is is possible that the time of the first version is the same as the one of the files?

I just did another backup attempt with "Always keep the last version" selected. That seemed to fix it. It retained everything this time. I figured it would have have hung onto everything without that selected as long as the backups were not older than a month. Does it determine this by the files last modify date rather than the time of the backup that it was actually taken?

And I have the same issue 1812's comment above. The time is off.

Edited by Phastor
52 minutes ago, Phastor said:

Does it determine this by the files last modify date rather than the time of the backup that it was actually taken?

I don't know, but no matter which time it is taken, I think the Always keep the last version" should be selected if you don't want your files to be purged eventually.

57 minutes ago, Phastor said:

And I have the same issue 1812's comment above. The time is off.

Fix is coming!

Eew. Just changing the filename (or that of its parent folder) or moving a file triggers a full duplicate instance of that file in the backup. Since most of my data is decently large video files, that's a deal breaker for me.

I understand that's a limitation of the software itself and not the docker container. Thanks anyway for your help on this!

Edited by Phastor

Thanks for the quick timzone fix!

Partially for the space, partially for the backup duration, and mostly because my backup drive can't hold more than one copy of my video. I suppose I could create a separate backup plan for video that immediately removes files that were locally deleted. However, if I were to move a video, the software will still want to create a backup of that video in it's new location before deleting the old, right? Just renaming the top level directory of my video files would trigger a full copy of every video, unless I'm misunderstanding this. At over a TB of video, that would be a long backup for a small change.

Edited by Phastor

Something neat I just figured out:

If you set multiple backup plans for different folders (current, cold storage, work, etc...) and are backing up local unencrypted, you can run them all at the same time. If you're using encryption or compression, it makes the next plan wait for the first to finish. I thought it was fast before.... 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else seeing very high CPU utilization during backup? 

I have a decent quad core E3-1220 v3 @ 3.10GHz in my server and this CB docker is pushing all 4 cores to 75-100% while running backups. I have tried adjusting the Threads, Chunk size and Memory settings but they don't seem to make much of a difference.  

My current "test" backup is mostly jpg files, encryption is on, compression off -backing up to Backblaze B2 buckets. Bandwidth throttle set to 1024 KByte/s on a 15 mbps  upload intent connection.

Cheers,

BR

1 hour ago, isvein said:

hello :)

Each time I try to use local or mounted storage from another local server as storage for a backup I get "cant create dir in specificed path" even if the share is set to r/w.

Anyone know why?

use r/w slave and double check your password/login when mounting the remote location in unassigned devices.

I have tried that now and still same :(

I tried to have it backup to an Minio server on the other unraid server.

It can take backup fine, but restore wont work.

Looks like it have only read permitions and not write.

edit: after reading all of the posts here I got it to be able to write to the orginal share, but no success with the SMB share I mounted yet.

Lets try NFS

Edited by isvein
On 9/16/2017 at 4:50 PM, Djoss said:

Do you see the same CPU usage with encryption disabled?

Yes I do, turning encryption on/off made no difference. I also experimented with enabling / disabling the bandwidth throttling feature but it made no difference either. -Restarted the docker and backup job after each change. Without throttling, encryption or compression -I'm not sure why the app is so CPU hungry if all it is doing is copying jpeg files into Backblaze. 

I have opened a ticket directly with Cloudberry and apparently it is a "know issue"? and a "fix is on the way" ?

I'm open to suggestions and willing to try other ideas! 

I know I could pin the Docker to a single CPU thread, but that seems more like a band-aid, I would rather help find a fix.  

Cheers,

BR

2 minutes ago, bertrandr said:

Yes I do, turning encryption on/off made no difference. I also experimented with enabling / disabling the bandwidth throttling feature but it made no difference either. -Restarted the docker and backup job after each change. Without throttling, encryption or compression -I'm not sure why the app is so CPU hungry if all it is doing is copying jpeg files into Backblaze. 

I have opened a ticket directly with Cloudberry and apparently it is a "know issue"? and a "fix is on the way" ?

I'm open to suggestions and willing to try other ideas! 

I know I could pin the Docker to a single CPU thread, but that seems more like a band-aid, I would rather help find a fix.  

Cheers,

BR

Not sure if it helps you, but I just heard back from CloudBerry support - apparently the <just posted today> Linux version  2.1.0.81 has a fix? 

Forced an update to pull down the latest image without any issues. 

Still using the CloudBerry trial key and Backblaze B2 storage over my 15 mbps (upload) internet connection (Shaw 150 unlimited) 

Test backup is a 33GB folder on my Unraid with a couple thousand JPEGs 

Update looks VERY promising!!!! 

• CPU utilization is negligible (5-6% overall) even with encryption enabled -as it should be. 
  • Upload speed is maxing out my internet link at a steady 1950+ KB/s (1.95 MB/s)
  • Running for 20 min with little fluctuation in CPU or upload speed
  • Next test will be to see if it stalls after an hour like the previous version. 
  • I'll report back when the  test finishes... 

8) Thanks for the quick turnaround Djoss! 

BR

• Like 1

Im looking at B2 for cold storage too, not as crazy pricing as Amazon S3/glacier.

The update crashed the docker, so had to reinstall the cloudberry docker, but it works fine now.

edit: the backup stops after some time, is that just a bug for me or does it happens for others too

Edited by isvein