[Support] Djoss - CloudBerry Backup

3 hours ago, Djoss said:

No, nothing need to be forwarded. Which errors do you have exactly?

I think the problem was a) the "+" in the key name or b) I was using an application and not a master key like I thought. I generated a new key on BackBlaze and that connected.

However, I'm trying to backup a single file now and it seems to be hung when I press "Done" on the plan config. There's a small window with "Exec edit plan command" open.

Note: I'm not sure if this is the issue others are dealing with. If you use an application key you need to use the key ID as the "account" ID not your normal Backblaze account ID. I haven't tried this, however.

Edited by wcg66
3 hours ago, Djoss said:

So were you able to run the plan?

No, it just hangs. I also noticed one of the CPU cores was pegged at 100% after doing this and stops when you stop the Cloudberry container. I did a test with rclone and I was able connect to Backblaze and upload files.

10 hours ago, wcg66 said:

No, it just hangs. I also noticed one of the CPU cores was pegged at 100% after doing this and stops when you stop the Cloudberry container. I did a test with rclone and I was able connect to Backblaze and upload files.

Check logs/log_LocalDaemon.log in the appdata folder to see if there is anything obvious.  Else, I would suggest to open a ticket with the CloudBerry support team.  I backup to Backblaze without issue.

13 hours ago, Djoss said:

Check logs/log_LocalDaemon.log in the appdata folder to see if there is anything obvious.  Else, I would suggest to open a ticket with the CloudBerry support team.  I backup to Backblaze without issue.

It's strange but there's nothing in the logs to indicate an issue. The application hangs when finishing the backup plan setup (pressing the done button on the dialog.)

18 minutes ago, wcg66 said:

It's strange but there's nothing in the logs to indicate an issue. The application hangs when finishing the backup plan setup (pressing the done button on the dialog.)

When it hangs, are you able to run the plan after you restart the container?

Hey guys, I'm figuring out a backup solution for my server. I am pretty sure I will go with cloudberry, seems like it supports versioning which will protect against a crypto correct?

My goal is to backup to another unraid server in a different geographical location. What would you say is best practice for doing this? How could I easily back up to a remote unraid server as a target? I was thinking of doing the initial backup on the local LAN then the move the 2nd unraid target server to the remote location for continued backups... 

Also, since cloudberry encrypts prior to sending the files, does that mean that I don't need to encrypt the hard drives of the target unraid backup server (I want this as secured as possible but if there's no need to encrypt the remote unraid backup server because cloudberry will encrypt the files anyway, than that's great).

Lastly, this will definitely be over 5tb, am I correct in understanding that I would need to purchase a linux server license for $80?

Thank you!

13 hours ago, maxse said:

Hey guys, I'm figuring out a backup solution for my server. I am pretty sure I will go with cloudberry, seems like it supports versioning which will protect against a crypto correct?

Correct.

My goal is to backup to another unraid server in a different geographical location. What would you say is best practice for doing this? How could I easily back up to a remote unraid server as a target? I was thinking of doing the initial backup on the local LAN then the move the 2nd unraid target server to the remote location for continued backups... 

Currently, CloudBerry backup supports backup destinations in the cloud, with the exception of a "File System" destination, that allows you to backup to a local folder.  Normally, you could use a folder mapped to a network share on your local network.  But since you want to backup over the Internet, I guess you need a VPN or service that would offer a similar functionality.

Note that SFTP as a backup destination is in the "coming soon" features.  This would greatly simplify the backup to a remote server. 

Also, since cloudberry encrypts prior to sending the files, does that mean that I don't need to encrypt the hard drives of the target unraid backup server (I want this as secured as possible but if there's no need to encrypt the remote unraid backup server because cloudberry will encrypt the files anyway, than that's great).

Correct, data is already encrypted when stored.

Lastly, this will definitely be over 5tb, am I correct in understanding that I would need to purchase a linux server license for $80?

Yes, that's also my understanding.

On 1/17/2019 at 6:10 AM, Djoss said:

Correct.

Currently, CloudBerry backup supports backup destinations in the cloud, with the exception of a "File System" destination, that allows you to backup to a local folder.  Normally, you could use a folder mapped to a network share on your local network.  But since you want to backup over the Internet, I guess you need a VPN or service that would offer a similar functionality.

Note that SFTP as a backup destination is in the "coming soon" features.  This would greatly simplify the backup to a remote server. 

Correct, data is already encrypted when stored.

Yes, that's also my understanding.

Thanks so much for explaining it! 

I guess I would use the openvpn docker server on the remote unraid. But is there a docker client-side app for the main unraid server that would automatically be triggered during backup time to connect to the vpn running on the backup unraid server? Or is it something that has to always be one? If always on, any downsides to that? And would it be possible then to always have it be on (if that needs to be the case) for the cloudberry docker connection only?

• 2 weeks later...

To all,

I hate to be a nuisance but I'm as new as they come and I can't find any youtube videos on installing the Djoss Cloudberry Docker from the community apps.
I'm sure I'll feel dumb once I see what I'm doing wrong.
All my other apps were simple and documented so I don't know why this one is kickin' my butt.

I need a step by step guide.
Any help here?

23 hours ago, trurl said:

The very first link in the Docker FAQ:

This is a perfect example of why the gap between ultra techies and common folk is so vast.

I asked for help because I was tired of looking for a needle in a hay stack and your idea of help was to dump the whole barn on my head.

You could have simply said "You Are On Your Own" and I would have gotten the message.

4 minutes ago, Jonnysixgun said:

This is a perfect example of why the gap between ultra techies and common folk is so vast.

I asked for help because I was tired of looking for a needle in a hay stack and your idea of help was to dump the whole barn on my head.

You could have simply said "You Are On Your Own" and I would have gotten the message.

Did you click on that link? Let me give it to you as just a link instead of that embedded snapshot:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/57181-real-docker-faq/?tab=comments#comment-564345

That is the same link, and while it does take you to a post in a long thread, the specific post is telling you exactly how to get us some information that might get us started on trying to help you.

The post you gave asking for help doesn't really tell us anything, but if you follow the directions in that post I linked then maybe we can get started.

Also, that long thread is a good resource for you even if you don't try to swallow it all in one gulp. A lot of effort has gone into putting a lot of answers in one place there.

Okay, Lets take it from the top.

I have an unraid server up and running.

It has four dockers on it.

1. Letsencrypt
  2. Mariadb
  3. Nextcloud
  4. Openvpn-as

In each case I found a youtube video that walked me through the steps to install and configure each of them.

Great news, I'm not a complete idiot cause I can follow directions and all of my current dockers work.

For what this server is intended for those are the only dockers I would need but I want to back up the server to the cloud.

Cloudberry Backup seems to be the way to go for what I need.

There are no videos on installing and setting this up so one would assume it must be easier than the others.

Not so much.

I click the link to install and I get all the options and have know way of knowing what to change or add.

Installing with defaults and configuring later isn't an option so that's as far as I get.

I'm starting to wonder if this Cloudberry docker sucks and that isn't the reason why no one bothered making a video or posting so much as a pdf on it.

1 hour ago, Jonnysixgun said:

Okay, Lets take it from the top.

I have an unraid server up and running.

It has four dockers on it.

1. Letsencrypt
  2. Mariadb
  3. Nextcloud
  4. Openvpn-as

In each case I found a youtube video that walked me through the steps to install and configure each of them.

Great news, I'm not a complete idiot cause I can follow directions and all of my current dockers work.

For what this server is intended for those are the only dockers I would need but I want to back up the server to the cloud.

Cloudberry Backup seems to be the way to go for what I need.

There are no videos on installing and setting this up so one would assume it must be easier than the others.

Not so much.

I click the link to install and I get all the options and have know way of knowing what to change or add.

Installing with defaults and configuring later isn't an option so that's as far as I get.

I'm starting to wonder if this Cloudberry docker sucks and that isn't the reason why no one bothered making a video or posting so much as a pdf on it.

Pm me your problem precisely and I’ll walk you through it. I’m due for some community service time to make up for my other “less than shinning example of desired member of the form” times. (This is a legit offer of help from someone who had to figure it out and has it up and running.)

2 hours ago, Jonnysixgun said:

I see someone has already volunteered to help you free of charge in PM, but I just thought I would comment on this remark.

All of these dockers are provided free of charge. Not every docker is going to have a video created for it. Sometimes you just have to take the trouble to read some things, including that Docker FAQ thread I linked. The Docker FAQ has a lot of general information to try to help you understand how to set up dockers in general. If you understand a few things about docker setup it goes a long way to help you figure out how to use any particular docker.

Also, this thread (and all docker support threads) has links in the very first post with more information. You should take the trouble to consult these when you are trying to set up a particular docker.

Nobody here is getting paid to help you, nobody here is getting paid to provide these docker applications, and nobody here is getting paid to create videos for you.

3 hours ago, Jonnysixgun said:

You can just install with the defaults settings.  In most cases, there is no reason to change them.

21 hours ago, 1812 said:

Pm me your problem precisely and I’ll walk you through it. I’m due for some community service time to make up for my other “less than shinning example of desired member of the form” times. (This is a legit offer of help from someone who had to figure it out and has it up and running.)

I appreciate the offer. Circumstances have changed so I'm on track for the moment. If I hit a road block again I may take you up on this though. Thanks a bunch.

20 hours ago, trurl said:

I see someone has already volunteered to help you free of charge in PM, but I just thought I would comment on this remark.

All of these dockers are provided free of charge. Not every docker is going to have a video created for it. Sometimes you just have to take the trouble to read some things, including that Docker FAQ thread I linked. The Docker FAQ has a lot of general information to try to help you understand how to set up dockers in general. If you understand a few things about docker setup it goes a long way to help you figure out how to use any particular docker.

Also, this thread (and all docker support threads) has links in the very first post with more information. You should take the trouble to consult these when you are trying to set up a particular docker.

Nobody here is getting paid to help you, nobody here is getting paid to provide these docker applications, and nobody here is getting paid to create videos for you.

Dude I'm not looking for a fight.

I'm just gonna share some perspective with ya.

I'm nobody's obligation and I don't expect to be babysat.

As I see it people who create for free do so for one of two reasons.

• The love of technology
  • To showcase their ability's

People who love something will often choose to work in that field and showcasing your talents is a great way to further your career which by the way is how they make money.

As for videos, well each youtuber I've seen makes all the videos they can to generate revenue which, you guessed it, equals money.

So, to recap what I've just said, I guess everybody's getting paid in one way or another after all, and God Bless Em'.

They deserve every penny they and get.