GPU for Dell R710 VM

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get some help here.  I have a Dell R710 I'm running UnRaid 6.3.3.  It is up and working nicely, however I would like to set up a Windows 10 VM on it to replace an aging desktop I use in my living room to stream web videos on.  I mostly only use this machine to watch MotoGP from the motogp.com website.  I've looked but can find any other simple way to get this content (Raspberry Pi, Plex Channels, etc.).  Thus the reason this machine is still in my living room.  I can get an HDMI from my living room to where the UnRaid is no problems, but from what I understand the Dell R710's have a maximum current rating of 25 Watts.  Also the I/O Risers I have only have 8x PCIE slots, so I'd either have to try and cut the slots for a 16x card or stick with an 8x card.  I've read that several folks in R710 threads have GT710's running just fine in their machines, but I've also read that the NVIDIA GeForce series of cards don't support operating in VM's, so I'm a bit lost.  Any help finding a 8x card with less that 25 Watts draw, one HDMI on board and that works in VM's would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, dbs179 said:

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get some help here.  I have a Dell R710 I'm running UnRaid 6.3.3.  It is up and working nicely, however I would like to set up a Windows 10 VM on it to replace an aging desktop I use in my living room to stream web videos on.  I mostly only use this machine to watch MotoGP from the motogp.com website.  I've looked but can find any other simple way to get this content (Raspberry Pi, Plex Channels, etc.).  Thus the reason this machine is still in my living room.  I can get an HDMI from my living room to where the UnRaid is no problems, but from what I understand the Dell R710's have a maximum current rating of 25 Watts.  Also the I/O Risers I have only have 8x PCIE slots, so I'd either have to try and cut the slots for a 16x card or stick with an 8x card.  I've read that several folks in R710 threads have GT710's running just fine in their machines, but I've also read that the NVIDIA GeForce series of cards don't support operating in VM's, so I'm a bit lost.  Any help finding a 8x card with less that 25 Watts draw, one HDMI on board and that works in VM's would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I use gt 710's and 730's in OS X vm's with no issues. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, 1812 said:

I use gt 710's and 730's in OS X vm's with no issues. 

Perfect, thanks for the information.  I was able to snip out the back of one of my 8x slots (they are on a riser so and I don't really need them) to fit in a GT610 I had laying around.  The Server boots with it, so it must be under the 25W requirement and the card shows up in UnRaid System Devices, but when I try to set it as the Video and Audio cards I get an error starting the VM.  With the VM set up to use VNC it works fine.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,

DBS

Error.jpg

System Devices.jpg

Edited by dbs179
Added Images

Your IOMMU grouping is fine for the card with the video/audio components in their own group.

On Proliants and multiple other legitimate older servers, you need to modify your syslinux.cfg to allow "unsafe" interrupts (Main tab: click on flash, make changes, apply, reboot )

append vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 initrd=/bzroot

If this doesn't work, you can look in your system logs for a DMAR/RMRR issue with the GPU, or just post your diagnostics (Tools tab: diagnostics) and we'll take a look.

If this works, you may still encounter an issue with the GPU in windows giving an error (40 or 43 or similar, I don't remember.) But one thing at a time.

22 hours ago, 1812 said:

Your IOMMU grouping is fine for the card with the video/audio components in their own group.

On Proliants and multiple other legitimate older servers, you need to modify your syslinux.cfg to allow "unsafe" interrupts (Main tab: click on flash, make changes, apply, reboot )

append vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 initrd=/bzroot

If this doesn't work, you can look in your system logs for a DMAR/RMRR issue with the GPU, or just post your diagnostics (Tools tab: diagnostics) and we'll take a look.

If this works, you may still encounter an issue with the GPU in windows giving an error (40 or 43 or similar, I don't remember.) But one thing at a time.

You must have a crystal ball!  The fix above worked perfect once I put it in the correct place in the .cfg, but as you mentioned, I'm showing a "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"  I've double checked that the "Hyper-V" setting is set to "No" and didn't have any drivers installed.  Any ideas where I should go from here?  And thanks again for all of the help, it has been very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

39 minutes ago, dbs179 said:

You must have a crystal ball!  The fix above worked perfect once I put it in the correct place in the .cfg, but as you mentioned, I'm showing a "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"  I've double checked that the "Hyper-V" setting is set to "No" and didn't have any drivers installed.  Any ideas where I should go from here?  And thanks again for all of the help, it has been very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

if you search the forums you can find the fix... I don't remember it off the top of my head.

Pro tip: use google to search for "unsaid code 43"  The results are way better than the actual forum search.

12 hours ago, 1812 said:

if you search the forums you can find the fix... I don't remember it off the top of my head.

Pro tip: use google to search for "unsaid code 43"  The results are way better than the actual forum search.

Ok, I've tried the steps listed in this guide

to dump the rom and edit the VM XML, now I show the display adapter as GT610, but it still has an error code 43.  I'll keep looking at possible fixes.  Thanks again for your help.

On 5/12/2017 at 9:33 PM, 1812 said:

no problem. Sorry I don't know the fix, haven't had that one myself, just know others run into it.

Not a problem at all, I wouldn't be this far without your help.  As a follow up for anybody seeing this thread in the future, I ended up ordering two new video cards, both the GT710 and GT730.  I had the same results with both of them, error code 43 before nvidia drivers were even installed or the roms were dumped.  The R710 has built in graphics and I had both the GT710 and GT730 installed for a total of 3 GPU's, so I knew it wasn't the issue that pops up when you only have one GPU installed.  At any rate, I tried everything I could find in the forums and the only thing that fixed it was creating a new VM using SeaBios.  Once I did that, the card showed up as it should without any error codes.  I'm only RDP'ed in for now, but I suspect the video output is fine.  I'm not sure why the cards wouldn't work with OVMF but they wouldn't.  I know others say they should work with OVMF, but mine refused to.  Anyway, I'll update again once I get a monitor hooked up to the new card.

1 hour ago, dbs179 said:

Not a problem at all, I wouldn't be this far without your help.  As a follow up for anybody seeing this thread in the future, I ended up ordering two new video cards, both the GT710 and GT730.  I had the same results with both of them, error code 43 before nvidia drivers were even installed or the roms were dumped.  The R710 has built in graphics and I had both the GT710 and GT730 installed for a total of 3 GPU's, so I knew it wasn't the issue that pops up when you only have one GPU installed.  At any rate, I tried everything I could find in the forums and the only thing that fixed it was creating a new VM using SeaBios.  Once I did that, the card showed up as it should without any error codes.  I'm only RDP'ed in for now, but I suspect the video output is fine.  I'm not sure why the cards wouldn't work with OVMF but they wouldn't.  I know others say they should work with OVMF, but mine refused to.  Anyway, I'll update again once I get a monitor hooked up to the new card.

I remember something about a workaround for some Nvidia cards that didn't want to work in virtual machines... but don't remember the work around...! Not sure if that applies for the code 43, but use google to search for "unRaid code 43" don't use the forum search. it sort of sucks.

9 hours ago, 1812 said:

I remember something about a workaround for some Nvidia cards that didn't want to work in virtual machines... but don't remember the work around...! Not sure if that applies for the code 43, but use google to search for "unRaid code 43" don't use the forum search. it sort of sucks.

I tried that exact google search, but I only found links pertaining to having only one GPU in the machine, or issues with VM being turned on.  They were older threads, but SeaBIOS did the trick. 

• 2 years later...
On 5/10/2017 at 9:05 AM, dbs179 said:

Hi all,

Also the I/O Risers I have only have 8x PCIE slots, so I'd either have to try and cut the slots for a 16x card or stick with an 8x card.  I've read that several folks in R710 threads have GT710's running just fine in their machines

Thanks!

Too late as I see you cut your x8 riser slot but there is an optional x16 riser for the R710 don't think this would resolve your issues but just putting it out there for future reference

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwjVvd7Hl-njAhXBnLMKHa1GCGcYABAtGgJxbg&sig=AOD64_2r497W1_SXNCcpsJbh-Y5_YLnfGg&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwiLuNrHl-njAhWITd8KHVCBBCUQ2CkI0QI&adurl=

Edited by mrbilky