Network Drive shows wrong space info

I don't understand how this is possible. Is there something I have set up wrongly?

My share says there's 6.5Tb space. My network drive thinks it has 9.09Tb of space.

Even looking at all of my drives I have a hard time seeing how I could hit 9Tb of space. I have 8Tb of space, 2Tb on a parity disc, and then I have 2Tb of cache.

The total available space of the array is 8Tb. But one of the disks (disk 1) is excluded, that is 2Tb of space not available to the "Movies" share.

How can it be that my network drive thinks it has these 2Tb af space available anyway? Is there something I havn't set up correctly?

Is Unraid doing some calculations I'm not aware of? Or why does my network share think it has so much space?

Udklip.PNG

Udklip2.PNG

Udklip3.PNG

Edited by Squazz
On 12/5/2017 at 4:07 PM, johnnie.black said:

Available space = 8TB array + 2TB cache = 10TB total = 9.09TiB Windows

Used Space = 6.42TB = 5.83TiB

I just looked closer at this, and the network drive IS showing wrong information. Even when taking into consideration that it is showing sizes in TiB.

The total available space of the array is 8Tb. But one of the disks (disk 1) is excluded, that is 2Tb of space not available to the "Movies" share.

How can it be that my network drive thinks it has these 2Tb af space available anyway? Is there something I havn't set up correctly?

10 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

On the shares pages click on compute next to the Movies share and post a screenshot.

I now see that after my post was originally created, I ended up including all disks due to needing the space for an initial transfer.

When the initial transfer is completed, I will play around with this again and post a screenshot :)

10 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

On the shares pages click on compute next to the Movies share and post a screenshot.

Ok, I made a new test. This time I made a share for myself, ad dedicated a single 500Gb drive to this share.

As the images show, Windows & UnRaid doesn't seem to agree upon how much space I actually have?

(- My UI in Windows is Danish, sorry)

What am I missing here?

Udklip.PNG

Udklip2.PNG

Udklip3.PNG

Udklip4.PNG

Edited by Squazz

But, why is it then using a share that is not included? How can I stop it from doing that?

Because that might then be the underlying problem.

Isn't it enough to only include the drives you want to use? Do you also have to exclude the rest?

7 minutes ago, Squazz said:

But, why is it then using a share that is not included? How can I stop it from doing that?

Because that might then be the underlying problem.

Isn't it enough to only include the drives you want to use? Do you also have to exclude the rest?

unRAID will not move an existing share when you update the include or exclude list afterwards. 

You either include disk1 for your share Kasper or move the share Kasper to disk5.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, bonienl said:

Personally I use midnight commander (mc) from a telnet session, but if you are not familiar with CLI then likely the Krusader docker can help (I am not using it and can't confirm).

I should be able to figure out a CLI, but I'm still not sure how I would get around moving the share.

Is there a guide somewhere that I'm not knowing exists? ;)

25 minutes ago, bonienl said:

Personally I use midnight commander (mc) from a telnet session, but if you are not familiar with CLI then likely the Krusader docker can help (I am not using it and can't confirm).

16 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

A share is just a folder on the root of any disk, in this case just delete it from disk1.

Boom! I found out how to boot up MC from PuTTU and have now deleted the folder from disk 1.

Windows responded promptly. 

Thank you very much both of you. Now I both understand how space for the shares is calculated, and I know how to use MC

On 12/5/2017 at 4:07 PM, johnnie.black said:

Available space = 8TB array + 2TB cache = 10TB total = 9.09TiB Windows

Used Space = 6.42TB = 5.83TiB

1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

Again it's correct, like the warning says the share (that's the Kasper folder) exists on disk1 even if it's not included, share also has cache enable, so:

Total = 2TB + 500GB + 2TB = 4.5TB = 4.09TiB

Regarding the cache.

Is it possible to leverage the cache as a jump-station for my files, but at the same time not let Windows know this space is available?

The only space I want shown is the space in the array. 

2 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Not as far as I know.

2 hours ago, bonienl said:

No, this is not possible. The alternative is to set "no cache" for a share, which then reports the array size only, but file copies will bypass the cache in this case.

That's too bad, but I guess I'll just have to work with what I've got to work with then :)

Thank you so much both of you