[Support] Djoss - HandBrake

On 12/6/2019 at 6:11 PM, Jagaroth said:

Thanks. To clarify, when using the GUI to initiate a transcode I can and have unchecked that box to remove the default tag. When I do this the file works properly and no subtitles display by default in playback. However, I am setting this up to be automated through watch folders and the preset I have created does not maintain that subtitle status. Anytime I load the preset it checks the default box back on. I don't see any way of getting that to be maintained when HandBrake starts a new transcode.

I'm not sure if there is a way to do it via the preset, but you can try the following: update to the latest image, you will get a new container setting "Automatic Video Converter: Custom HandBrake Arguments".  Try to set its value to "--subtitle-default none".

On 12/7/2019 at 4:35 AM, Pascal51882 said:

I can not read/write to my output directory. ls -la shows everyone can read/write/execute my media path i selected in the docker.

What could cause this? Any special configuration needed?

In HandBrake, are you saving your file under "/output"?

On 12/10/2019 at 2:55 AM, Pascal51882 said:

I used the source path for output. 

Does this docker need a GPU to work?  I switched to a CPU without one and now I get error 1006 disconneted. 

No GPU required.  Does the container stay up and running ?  If yes, try to connect using another browser or try to clear your browser's cache.

@Djoss have you ever considered trying to expose support for Nvidias NVEnc encoder for this container? https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.3.0/technical/video-nvenc.html

quick and dirty comparison of QSV vs NVENC timings: 

With the Nvidia plugin, and this container, I think converting movies could benefit with the speed/offloading improvement.

Just tested a movie:

My Unraid Server, AMD 3700X with 12 threads pinned to Handbrake container standard H264:

36 Minutes @ 4.65 GB

image.png.b1807cf4357c1e0cf12fb0bb2be1cac0.png

Same movie on my Desktop with 3900X and 2080Ti, using H264 NVENC:

11 Minutes @ 7.5 GB

image.png.014e4684ea68122ad3ebfe5a6eb917a5.png

Edit: I see I am not the first to ask 🙂https://github.com/jlesage/docker-handbrake/issues/49

Edited by cybrnook

Hi, so testing this docker out on unRaid Version: 6.8.0 and can't seem to get my optical drive going. I was able to get it going with the MakeMKV-RDP docker using the --device=/dev/sg1 code. I do see it in dev, but when I select it trying to open a source (first tried a blu-ray, then a DVD) and kept getting back title not found. Anything I should try? 

13 hours ago, yanksno1 said:

Hi, so testing this docker out on unRaid Version: 6.8.0 and can't seem to get my optical drive going. I was able to get it going with the MakeMKV-RDP docker using the --device=/dev/sg1 code. I do see it in dev, but when I select it trying to open a source (first tried a blu-ray, then a DVD) and kept getting back title not found. Anything I should try? 

If it's an encrypted Disc (Like a DVD movie or Blu-Ray movie), handbrake can't open it, since handbrake isn't that kind of app. You would first need to decode it using something like MakeMKV or AnyDVD etc...

4 hours ago, cybrnook said:

If it's an encrypted Disc (Like a DVD movie or Blu-Ray movie), handbrake can't open it, since handbrake isn't that kind of app. You would first need to decode it using something like MakeMKV or AnyDVD etc...

Did test the same DVD movie on my iMac using a external drive and Handbrake, that loaded there fine there. Is the encryption on this docker stronger or something? I did manage to rip the blu-ray version of this movie using MakeMKV and used this docker to compress it and that worked great.

18 minutes ago, yanksno1 said:

Did test the same DVD movie on my iMac using a external drive and Handbrake, that loaded there fine there. Is the encryption on this docker stronger or something? I did manage to rip the blu-ray version of this movie using MakeMKV and used this docker to compress it and that worked great.

What I mean is Handbrake is not a decrypting program. So if you are putting in regular movies like DVD or Blu-Ray, and expecting Handbrake to open and re-encode them, it won't do that. Movies (DVD and Blu-Ray) have encryption on them, so you need something to crack the encryption first, like MakeMKV or AnyDVD for example. You can't go directly from Blu-Ray to .MP4 for example with Handbrake alone. It may be trying to read the disc, but it doesn't understand what it is (because it's encrypted), so it spits back title not found.

Edited by cybrnook
5 minutes ago, yanksno1 said:

Yup, I know that. It worked exactly like you said ripping the blu-ray disc using MakeMKV, then using this docker to compress it. But why does Handbrake on my iMac load the same disc and not here?

No idea. Handbrake can't unlock and decrypt an encrypted disc, that's not what it does.

Perhaps you have something like AnyDVD installed, or some other unlocking software that you forgot about? which is presenting the disc as unlocked to handbrake? That is completely doable, unlocking the disc via software and then handing off to handbrake as a disc in a drive.

Edited by cybrnook
  • Like 1
On 12/19/2019 at 9:54 PM, cybrnook said:

Perhaps you have something like AnyDVD installed, or some other unlocking software that you forgot about?

Think it must of been that, and I forgot about it. Sorry for the confusion. 

So I tested out ripping another blu-ray with MakeMKV and setting the watch directory and preset in the container. That went through fine, but didn't have the right compression output I wanted so I decided I'll still do it manually. I change everything back and update the docker, then this time I get an server disconnected (code: 1006) and can't get the gui going again (it's just a blank page). I've tried deleting the docker, deleting the docker apps folder, stopping/started docker, stopping/starting array, restarting docker, changing ports and nothing's helped. Any idea's what to do here? I can post my logs if you'd like to see those. 

Update #1: Think I got it. Checked in another browser, it loaded there. Deleted all my cache/cookies for unRaid and finally got it going. 

Update #2: So while --device=/dev/sg1 did work for MakeMKV, I did notice it had an output in the docker for the optical drive of /sr0. So I tried that on Handbrake, and sure enough using --device=/dev/sr0 worked! Read the same disc it wasn't earlier. Don't know why the output is different, but at least it's working.

Edited by yanksno1
On 12/17/2019 at 11:00 AM, cybrnook said:

@Djoss have you ever considered trying to expose support for Nvidias NVEnc encoder for this container? https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.3.0/technical/video-nvenc.html

quick and dirty comparison of QSV vs NVENC timings: 

With the Nvidia plugin, and this container, I think converting movies could benefit with the speed/offloading improvement.

Just tested a movie:

My Unraid Server, AMD 3700X with 12 threads pinned to Handbrake container standard H264:

36 Minutes @ 4.65 GB

image.png.b1807cf4357c1e0cf12fb0bb2be1cac0.png

Same movie on my Desktop with 3900X and 2080Ti, using H264 NVENC:

11 Minutes @ 7.5 GB

image.png.014e4684ea68122ad3ebfe5a6eb917a5.png

Edit: I see I am not the first to ask 🙂https://github.com/jlesage/docker-handbrake/issues/49

The issue with supporting NVENC is that Nvidia does not provide binaries for Alpine Linux and obviously does not provide source code for them...

But like you see, while it's faster with NVENC, the resulting file is much bigger...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have setup Handbrake to watch a media folder that I have made on a Download share.

However HandBrake wont transcode anything that is put in the folder.

I have extraced what I get from the Log;

Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
[autovideoconverter] Processing watch folder '/watch'...
[autovideoconverter] Skipping '/watch/Star.Wars.Episode.I.The.Phantom.Menace.1999.PROPER.1080p.BluRay.H264.AAC-RARBG/Star.Wars.Episode.I.The.Phantom.Menace.1999.PROPER.1080p.BluRay.H264.AAC-RARBG.mp4' (ef5212bb8c1efae956c092927e74d07d): already processed with failure.
[autovideoconverter] Skipping '/watch/Star Wars - Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back 1980 PROPER (1080p Bluray x265 HEVC 10bit AAC 6.1 Tigole)/Star Wars - Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back 1980 (1080p x265 10bit Tigole).mkv' (5b78fb471760f073898262d300c6ab60): already processed with failure.
[autovideoconverter] Skipping '/watch/The Empire Strikes Back (1980)/The Empire Strikes Back 1980 Bluray-1080p.mkv' (7d2741869c4b4f12e6ec80ae36b7d317): already processed with failure.
[autovideoconverter] Skipping '/watch/Star Wars Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)/Star Wars Episode I - The Phantom Menace 1999 WEBDL-1080p.mkv' (2b881a7900712c98206aa9ab29f3cf79): already processed with failure.
[autovideoconverter] Watch folder '/watch' processing terminated.
[services.d] starting x11vnc...
[services.d] starting app...

Any ideas how this can be fixed?

Many thanks,

7 hours ago, mattyd87 said:

Hi, I have setup Handbrake to watch a media folder that I have made on a Download share.

However HandBrake wont transcode anything that is put in the folder.

I have extraced what I get from the Log;

Any ideas how this can be fixed?

Many thanks,

The files failed to be converted.  Look at /mnt/user/appdata/HandBrake/log/hb/conversion.log to get more details about the failures.

4 hours ago, Djoss said:

The files failed to be converted.  Look at /mnt/user/appdata/HandBrake/log/hb/conversion.log to get more details about the failures.

I have navigated to that exact folder but there is no log file inside it? Handbrake is running inside my docker on unraid but no log in that folder.

This extract is from the bottom of the Unraid Handbrake Docker log. The one when you click on Handbrake in Unraid and then press 'Log';

x11vnc -ncache 10 ...

One can also add -ncache_cr for smooth 'copyrect' window motion.
More info: http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/faq.html#faq-client-caching

[autovideoconverter] Skipping '/watch/Star.Wars.Episode.I.The.Phantom.Menace.1999.PROPER.1080p.BluRay.H264.AAC-RARBG/Star.Wars.Episode.I.The.Phantom.Menace.1999.PROPER.1080p.BluRay.H264.AAC-RARBG.mp4' (ef5212bb8c1efae956c092927e74d07d): already processed with failure.
[autovideoconverter] Skipping '/watch/Star Wars - Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back 1980 PROPER (1080p Bluray x265 HEVC 10bit AAC 6.1 Tigole)/Star Wars - Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back 1980 (1080p x265 10bit Tigole).mkv' (5b78fb471760f073898262d300c6ab60): already processed with failure.
[autovideoconverter] Skipping '/watch/The Empire Strikes Back (1980)/The Empire Strikes Back 1980 Bluray-1080p.mkv' (7d2741869c4b4f12e6ec80ae36b7d317): already processed with failure.
[autovideoconverter] Skipping '/watch/Star Wars Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)/Star Wars Episode I - The Phantom Menace 1999 WEBDL-1080p.mkv' (2b881a7900712c98206aa9ab29f3cf79): already processed with failure.
[autovideoconverter] Watch folder '/watch' processing terminated.
[services.d] starting app...
[app] starting HandBrake...
[services.d] done.
GLib-GIO-Message: 22:30:12.298: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend. Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.

Any other ideas what could be happening?

15 hours ago, mattyd87 said:

I have navigated to that exact folder but there is no log file inside it? Handbrake is running inside my docker on unraid but no log in that folder.

This extract is from the bottom of the Unraid Handbrake Docker log. The one when you click on Handbrake in Unraid and then press 'Log';

Any other ideas what could be happening?

Try to remove /mnt/user/appdata/HandBrake/failed_conversions and then restart the container.  Your files should be converted again.  Look for the failures in the container's logs.

58 minutes ago, Djoss said:

Try to remove /mnt/user/appdata/HandBrake/failed_conversions and then restart the container.  Your files should be converted again.  Look for the failures in the container's logs.

Thanks for that I deleted both the sucessful_conversions and the failed_conversion and ran Handbrake again. It didnt work, however the container log is giving more info;

[autovideoconverter] Waiting 5 seconds before processing '/watch/The Empire Strikes Back (1980)/The Empire Strikes Back 1980 Bluray-1080p.mkv'...
[autovideoconverter] Starting conversion of '/watch/The Empire Strikes Back (1980)/The Empire Strikes Back 1980 Bluray-1080p.mkv' (7d2741869c4b4f12e6ec80ae36b7d317) using preset 'Very Fast 1080p30'...
[autovideoconverter] 1 title(s) to process.
mktemp: failed to create directory via template ‘SAME_AS_SRC/.XXXXXX’: No such file or directory
[autovideoconverter] ERROR: Failed to create temporary directory under 'SAME_AS_SRC'.
[autovideoconverter] Conversion failed.
[autovideoconverter] Waiting 5 seconds before processing '/watch/Star Wars Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)/Star Wars Episode I - The Phantom Menace 1999 WEBDL-1080p.mkv'...
[autovideoconverter] Starting conversion of '/watch/Star Wars Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)/Star Wars Episode I - The Phantom Menace 1999 WEBDL-1080p.mkv' (2b881a7900712c98206aa9ab29f3cf79) using preset 'Very Fast 1080p30'...
[autovideoconverter] 1 title(s) to process.
mktemp: failed to create directory via template ‘SAME_AS_SRC/.XXXXXX’: No such file or directory
[autovideoconverter] ERROR: Failed to create temporary directory under 'SAME_AS_SRC'.
[autovideoconverter] Conversion failed.

Basically it is saying if I want to put media back where it came from the 'SAME_AS_SRC' flag it doesnt exist what is confusing....
I have also attached a pic of my container attached;

Screenshot 2020-01-21 at 23.32.24.png

On 1/21/2020 at 6:33 PM, mattyd87 said:

Thanks for that I deleted both the sucessful_conversions and the failed_conversion and ran Handbrake again. It didnt work, however the container log is giving more info;

Basically it is saying if I want to put media back where it came from the 'SAME_AS_SRC' flag it doesnt exist what is confusing....
I have also attached a pic of my container attached;

Screenshot 2020-01-21 at 23.32.24.png

The "Automatic Video Converter: Output directory" setting is a directory *inside* the container and you probably want to keep it to "/output".

• 2 weeks later...

Google isn't helping me here so I'm hoping I can get some help here.

I've enabled QSV support, and it's showing up. I've done the same in Plex and it's happy. But Handbrake is not.

qsv_hevc_make_header: MFXVideoCORE_SyncOperation failed (-17)
encqsvInit: qsv_hevc_make_header failed
Failure to initialise thread 'Quick Sync Video encoder (Intel Media SDK)'

Trying to re-encode a HEVC 10Bit movie to HEVC 10bit again (But it also fails in H265 (Intel QSV) and H264 (Intel QSV)). Can anyone help?

Side note: I enabled to HW support because Handbrake is ignoring CPU pinning. Other dockers comply, but not Handbrake. It uses all of my cores, even though it's set to use half of them. Makes the whole system fairly unusable. Also it's claiming that a 30fps movie that's 2 hours long is going to take 421 hours at 2 fps, where as math says that should be closer to 30 hours. So I thought I'd see if it was the same in HW mode.

Edited by OFark
Additional testing
On 2/6/2020 at 4:38 AM, OFark said:

Google isn't helping me here so I'm hoping I can get some help here.

I've enabled QSV support, and it's showing up. I've done the same in Plex and it's happy. But Handbrake is not.

qsv_hevc_make_header: MFXVideoCORE_SyncOperation failed (-17)
encqsvInit: qsv_hevc_make_header failed
Failure to initialise thread 'Quick Sync Video encoder (Intel Media SDK)'

Trying to re-encode a HEVC 10Bit movie to HEVC 10bit again (But it also fails in H265 (Intel QSV) and H264 (Intel QSV)). Can anyone help?

Which CPU do you have?

Also, try with the today's update to see if it changes anything.

On 2/6/2020 at 4:38 AM, OFark said:

Side note: I enabled to HW support because Handbrake is ignoring CPU pinning. Other dockers comply, but not Handbrake. It uses all of my cores, even though it's set to use half of them. Makes the whole system fairly unusable. Also it's claiming that a 30fps movie that's 2 hours long is going to take 421 hours at 2 fps, where as math says that should be closer to 30 hours. So I thought I'd see if it was the same in HW mode.

Note that the CPU pinning issue is not related to the container itself, but with Docker.  Somehow your CPU pinning config doesn't get applied properly?