[Support] Djoss - HandBrake

On 2/9/2020 at 12:53 PM, VampyreGTX said:

Okay, forgive me since I'm a noob to dockers and such. I can get this installed (got Plex media server installed and running) but I cannot get past the unable to write to the directory error. I'm sure I'm not setting the initial setting correctly or something. 

Are your selecting the output as something under "/output/"?

Sorry to bother you guys, but one of the last updates seems to have broken my Handbrake setup... Automatic conversion no longer works, the log says that the conversion failed. Trying to get at the web UI, I get nothing but an empty screen saying that the "Server disconnected (code: 1006)":

image.thumb.png.b3b5cd2c048faf6ed8091a7a50cab60f.png

According to unRaid, the docker container seems to be running fine:

image.thumb.png.135c31cf889cdc4b8af957a37dcc5e6e.png

I even removed the image, renamed the folder in appdata to get a fresh start and reinstalled Handbrake... Same result...

Looking at the logs I see nothing unusual, apart from these strange errors:

image.png.90dcf6f112d82be70bd682276fd82bfb.png

The end of the log (while nothing is working) looks like this:

image.png.40f4386f8fb817efe329bb2e8298078a.png

Any ideas? 

EDIT:
I reverted back to v1.19.0 and now it all works again, so there's definitely something funky going on with v1.20...

Edited by drdebian
further trial&error ;)

I also get error message that Handbrake doesn't have permission. It worked for weeks but after i changed  HDD to a bigger and rebuild the array I get this error message. I tried New Permission,Docker Safe New Permission under Tools but no help.

Has anyone solved this? Now Handbrake is useless.

On 2/14/2020 at 5:50 AM, drdebian said:

Sorry to bother you guys, but one of the last updates seems to have broken my Handbrake setup... Automatic conversion no longer works, the log says that the conversion failed. Trying to get at the web UI, I get nothing but an empty screen saying that the "Server disconnected (code: 1006)":

image.thumb.png.b3b5cd2c048faf6ed8091a7a50cab60f.png

According to unRaid, the docker container seems to be running fine:

image.thumb.png.135c31cf889cdc4b8af957a37dcc5e6e.png

I even removed the image, renamed the folder in appdata to get a fresh start and reinstalled Handbrake... Same result...

Looking at the logs I see nothing unusual, apart from these strange errors:

image.png.90dcf6f112d82be70bd682276fd82bfb.png

The end of the log (while nothing is working) looks like this:

image.png.40f4386f8fb817efe329bb2e8298078a.png

Any ideas? 

EDIT:
I reverted back to v1.19.0 and now it all works again, so there's definitely something funky going on with v1.20...

For the web access issue, can you try to clear your browser cache or try with another browser?

For the automatic converted issue, can you provide more details/log?

6 hours ago, Lappen71 said:

I also get error message that Handbrake doesn't have permission. It worked for weeks but after i changed  HDD to a bigger and rebuild the array I get this error message. I tried New Permission,Docker Safe New Permission under Tools but no help.

Has anyone solved this? Now Handbrake is useless.

Can you provide more details about the error you are getting?

On 2/10/2020 at 7:55 PM, Djoss said:

Which CPU do you have?

Also, try with the today's update to see if it changes anything.

Note that the CPU pinning issue is not related to the container itself, but with Docker.  Somehow your CPU pinning config doesn't get applied properly?

CPU pinning is sorted. Not sure what happened there. I still cannot get the QSV to work. same -17 error. No matter what I've tried. Which isn't helpful to you so here's what I've tried:

• A built in h265 preset modified to use QSV
  • Giving the docker highest privileges
  • CHMOD 777 and CHOWN nobody:users on /dev/dri
  • Verified that Handbrake and Plex are using the same GUID PUID and /dev/dri settings (they are, Plex works fine)
  • Only encoded video
  • Several different videos
  • Different resolutions.
  • Yelling
  • Being forceful with the keyboard

Nothing has helped, not even Obi-Wan.

The Processor is: Intel® Core™ i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz (as reported by UNRAID)

On Windows 10, according to Handbrake GitHub this is an Intel driver issue. but I'm seeing other UNRAID users doing this so I must be missing something.

1 hour ago, OFark said:

CPU pinning is sorted. Not sure what happened there. I still cannot get the QSV to work. same -17 error. No matter what I've tried. Which isn't helpful to you so here's what I've tried:

• A built in h265 preset modified to use QSV
  • Giving the docker highest privileges
  • CHMOD 777 and CHOWN nobody:users on /dev/dri
  • Verified that Handbrake and Plex are using the same GUID PUID and /dev/dri settings (they are, Plex works fine)
  • Only encoded video
  • Several different videos
  • Different resolutions.
  • Yelling
  • Being forceful with the keyboard

Nothing has helped, not even Obi-Wan.

The Processor is: Intel® Core™ i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz (as reported by UNRAID)

On Windows 10, according to Handbrake GitHub this is an Intel driver issue. but I'm seeing other UNRAID users doing this so I must be missing something.

And I've just tried upgrading the libva driver to 2.6.1-r0 - no change

Next I tried setting teh environmental variable LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME to i965 and although I only had h264 available for QSV is still failed with the follwing (very similar) log:

libva info: User environment variable requested driver 'i965'
libva info: Trying to open /opt/intel/mediasdk/lib64/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_6
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
[15:14:45] encqsvInit: MFXVideoENCODE_Init failed (-15)
[15:14:45] Failure to initialise thread 'Quick Sync Video encoder (Intel Media SDK)'

I'va also shutdown Plex incase it was interfering and removed all CPU pins for the same reason. No Joy.

Assume any thing you suggest will be applied to a normal image, after stuff doesn't work I'm resetting the docker.

Edited by OFark
Assumptions
On 2/23/2020 at 2:26 AM, Djoss said:

You said it was working with Plex: were you also encoding in h265 with Plex?  Is encoding with h264 working?

MediaInfo is reporting Plex conversions as "Codec ID: avc1".

Handbrake encodes fail with any QSV setting I choose, including h264.

Do you know of any other docker I could try that would use QSV Hardware Encoding I could try?

Edited by OFark
Spelling due to tiredness.
On 2/29/2020 at 9:50 PM, cbr600ds2 said:

You can't set it up to write to a share or am I just doing it wrong? 

You specify a variable (AUTOMATED_CONVERSION_OUTPUT_DIR) as the output folder name i.e. /output and then the path (/output) as whereever you want to store the vidoes on your shares.

I've been trying to figure out the magic settings to get the audio and subtitles to pass through into my mkv container. So far, nothing is really working....

I can sort-of get there by opening the original rip and looking at all the audio and subtitle stream and setting it up manually, for that particular movie. But that really doesn't work for running things via the watch queue in the background; if I save that setting, it has particular streams selected that might not make sense for the next video. My starting point was H.264 MKV 1080p30 preset followed by clearing the audio settings and adding them from scratch. When playing the original MKV rip, it shows has having a 7.1 (3F2M2R/LFE) English track with dts encoding Yet, if select DTS-HD Passthru 384kpbs, 7.1, same-as-source, as the first encoder, on the audio list, clicking select all doesn't pull in a 7.1 track. It does seem to pull in all of the audio tracks. But I'm clear how that manual setting is going translate to the next video which may not have the same set of audio tracks.

I have a similar issue with the subtitles; I can manually add all the subtitle tracks, but don't see how this translates to a configuration I can save for the automatic transcoding.

Is what I'm trying to do even possible, or do I have to do it one video at at time? That's not really going to work for me since I have quite a few to transcode....

3 hours ago, rbroberts said:

I've been trying to figure out the magic settings to get the audio and subtitles to pass through into my mkv container. So far, nothing is really working....

I can sort-of get there by opening the original rip and looking at all the audio and subtitle stream and setting it up manually, for that particular movie. But that really doesn't work for running things via the watch queue in the background; if I save that setting, it has particular streams selected that might not make sense for the next video. My starting point was H.264 MKV 1080p30 preset followed by clearing the audio settings and adding them from scratch. When playing the original MKV rip, it shows has having a 7.1 (3F2M2R/LFE) English track with dts encoding Yet, if select DTS-HD Passthru 384kpbs, 7.1, same-as-source, as the first encoder, on the audio list, clicking select all doesn't pull in a 7.1 track. It does seem to pull in all of the audio tracks. But I'm clear how that manual setting is going translate to the next video which may not have the same set of audio tracks.

I have a similar issue with the subtitles; I can manually add all the subtitle tracks, but don't see how this translates to a configuration I can save for the automatic transcoding.

Is what I'm trying to do even possible, or do I have to do it one video at at time? That's not really going to work for me since I have quite a few to transcode....

On the Audio and Subtitles tabs you need to go to the Track Selection sub-tab. This specified how you're selecting tracks. I do teh same as you and just passthrough everything. See the attached image, for the Audio settings. You'll notice the audio settings has a config, this is a bug I guess, it's set to Auto-Passthrough and these settings are ignored. Note, this is for English audio passthrough only, you could change it to Any. Subtitles work the same.

Annotation 2020-03-10 083255.png

On 3/10/2020 at 4:34 AM, OFark said:

On the Audio and Subtitles tabs you need to go to the Track Selection sub-tab. This specified how you're selecting tracks. I do teh same as you and just passthrough everything. See the attached image, for the Audio settings. You'll notice the audio settings has a config, this is a bug I guess, it's set to Auto-Passthrough and these settings are ignored. Note, this is for English audio passthrough only, you could change it to Any. Subtitles work the same.

Thanks! It took me a couple of tries to get it right for both audio and subtitles, but it's working now.

Any idea how to get the background task to use more CPU/threads? When I build a queue using the GUI and submit it, Handbrake takes over the machine. That's actually good as far as I'm concerned. When I throw jobs into the watch directory, the CPU seems to plug along at about 30-40%. I have a server with dual Xeon E5-2695 CPUs, so there's plenty of horsepower, but it's not using it.

I'm re-encoding my entire library after realizing that my original encoding had dropped the audio to stereo. I never noticed because I only recently got a surround system. Fortunately, I kept the original rips, so it's just a matter of dropping them into the watch directory and waiting. And waiting....

12 hours ago, rbroberts said:

Any idea how to get the background task to use more CPU/threads? When I build a queue using the GUI and submit it, Handbrake takes over the machine. That's actually good as far as I'm concerned. When I throw jobs into the watch directory, the CPU seems to plug along at about 30-40%. I have a server with dual Xeon E5-2695 CPUs, so there's plenty of horsepower, but it's not using it.

I'm re-encoding my entire library after realizing that my original encoding had dropped the audio to stereo. I never noticed because I only recently got a surround system. Fortunately, I kept the original rips, so it's just a matter of dropping them into the watch directory and waiting. And waiting....

No, not seen anything to that effect. However, I would urge you check out quality issues. On my journies I've seen various reports about using multiple core encoding reducing quality. Something about more cores equals less quality. I have no idea how or why, I've limited mine to 6 of the cores with pinning. But if your happy with what you're getting manually then I'm afraid I don't know what's going on there.

hi I new to handbrake.. just practiced the defaults and copying a file into the folder to get converted.. but if I tried a 2nd time I woul;dnt convert  like must keep a log file what its done

my question is  what is the settings I should set it running the webgui  you can change to 4k for video  or 264 265  10bit 12 bit etc

as I was gonna convert my entire  video collection  I have made from ym dvds  different formats

but I figured I convert everything so they all the same

is there a best option   like fps  and all that   so I can convert my avis  etc

as I don't know whats the best settings to set  so it can just run and convert the whole collection